Sun Belt For Lamar

Not bad for a seven year old league.  If Lamar wants in the FBS, maybe the SBC should be their first goal.

At the annual league spring meeting, Sun Belt members learned its football payout from membership in the 11-league Bowl Championship Series. And for the first time, the Sun Belt passed the Mid-American Conference — yes, the MAC, which has been playing football at the highest level for six-plus decades — in the BCS payout.

And get this:

With just one more key non-conference win, the Sun Belt would have passed Conference USA — the chief geographic challenger for southeastern mid-majors.

Will Sun Belt football build on it's success ?

This is the hidden content, please

Guest coachacola

I don't see LU rejoining the Sun Belt unless a few schools leave.  But come 2014 the Sun Belt may possibly be a lot different than what it is today.

The Sun Belt needs to decide what it wants to do...

Both Denver and UNO have a few more years to get their SBC sports intact or get the boot. Denver will probably not be able to get to 15 SBC sports, so they'll be out of the conference. Both the SBC and Denver hopes this takes care of itself in some form or fashion, as in Denver going to the WCC or WAC. UNO will stick, as they are just on waiver due Katrina and are progressing (up to 9 this coming year, 12 the following year).

Lamar would make sense in the Sun Belt -- but I think the league looks to an institution like a Georgia State and possibly even a Texas State-San Marcos (over picking Lamar) considering the Bobcats are within a drive of UNT.

The Sun Belt needs to decide what it wants to do...

Both Denver and UNO have a few more years to get their SBC sports intact or get the boot. Denver will probably not be able to get to 15 SBC sports, so they'll be out of the conference. Both the SBC and Denver hopes this takes care of itself in some form or fashion, as in Denver going to the WCC or WAC. UNO will stick, as they are just on waiver due Katrina and are progressing (up to 9 this coming year, 12 the following year).

Lamar would make sense in the Sun Belt -- but I think the league looks to an institution like a Georgia State and possibly even a Texas State-San Marcos (over picking Lamar) considering the Bobcats are within a drive of UNT.

Denver has been given an ultimatum: Sponsor 15 sports within 5 years or find a new conference.  UD has been put on notice.

This is the hidden content, please

Unless the Sun Belt loses a member, I think the conference is pretty well set.  The SBC is a football conference first, thus the Denver ultimatum.  I don't think the SBC will be adding any FBS newbies should programs like Lamar or Tex State-San Marcus make the jump.  The SBC has enough mouths to feed with the limited BCS revenue they receive.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124