Shetland - Tournament Thread - Updates

vhs

I am not posting on here to start fights with other people.  I just started using this site to keep up with everything including the PNG Football as I have two older boys who will play.  I wanted to express my opinion on what i saw out at the tournament and see if anybody shares my feelings.  I however did not expect to get hammered by somebody who does not know me.  I agree the TC team did incredibly well and has great talent.   :D  I also want to know if anyone knows of a select team in the Golden Triangle Area for ages 13-14.  Does anybody have any information on that subject?

GT Yellow Jackets has a 13U or 14U team. However the season is just about over. I will pass the information on to the coach and have him plst when tryouts will be.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a mother of a child that made all-stars from Groves. This is the first year that he has played allstars and the second year in baseball itself. Before the tournament on the weekend of the 21st he was so excited to finally get to be an all-star. We practiced everyday in the yard and he gave everything he had at his actual practice. Going into the tourney that weekend I saw the light in his eyes and his passion for the sport go out of him when we heard that Vidor had put their A-team as the B-team. That put a train coming down the path of my sons team. Just the thought of the A team playing his B team (yes he is smart enough to know what the difference is) upset him. He knew (as did the team and the coaches) that they were going to get beat right off of the bat. In turn I had to console him after the first loss as to why a city with so much talent would do that to other 4,5,and 6 year old kids? Why would they crush them like that? Just to win, what does that teach their kids? I am starting to agree with some other parents on this thread. I am not sure next year, if he is chosen that i am going to let him play. But ultimately it will be his choice. My son has incredible talent and i would hate for him to hate the game or quit playing because of an experience like that. On the other hand, we played TC on Sunday. It was more of a fair match up against our team. The kids were actually the size of 4,5 and 6 year olds. Again incredible talent and we had absolutely no problem with the fans. Both sides cheered for all the kids on both teams. I think Vidor is the one with the problem.

If you are not going to let him play then you should not even put him up for all-stars. If you put him up and he is selected and then you don't let him play then you have just taken a spot from another deserving kid that wants to play.

A lot of teams put their A team as the #2 team. There is only going to be 1 Winner of the tournament so it really shouldnt matter if you loose early or late. If the attitude is that the B team cant beat another town's A team then why have a B team at ALL??

CONGRADULATIONS TO THE VIDOR TEAM. YOU BOYS PLAYED REALLY WELL & WILL DO A GREAT JOB REPRESENTING THE GOLDEN TRIANGLE. WAY TO GO TC FOR FIGHTING SO HARD.

If you are not going to let him play then you should not even put him up for all-stars. If you put him up and he is selected and then you don't let him play then you have just taken a spot from another deserving kid that wants to play.

A lot of teams put their A team as the #2 team. There is only going to be 1 Winner of the tournament so it really shouldnt matter if you loose early or late. If the attitude is that the B team cant beat another town's A team then why have a B team at ALL??

That is exactly my question.  That was the reason I started asking about it in the first place and why I was so upset.  I grew up playing Little League Rules in soft ball because nothing else was available and we always had just one team to take in the all-stars.  The idea of having two teams per city throws me for a loop. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.  Like i said before this is our first year in all-stars playing the PONY League. My son does not know the LL way of doing things.  If the teams, both A and B are supposed to be equal, then why do coaches allways pick the best of the best as the A team and then go through the lineup as the B team.  If the teams are equal and supposed to be able to beat anybody, why not keep the teams as they are supposed to be in the first place and not do the whole switching around thing just to get to the end of the bracket? Ultimately to me people look at the route that has the weekest/easiest teams to be them put their best teams in that particular line up.  I dont know about other cities but our two teams were not matched up evenly.  Our B team was the younger/weaker of the two.  From what I understand so far that is the way it works with most cities and that is why the choice is made to put an A team as a B team to get further at all costs.  Please dont take that the wrong way.  Being a new comer to baseball itself, this is just how I have seen things done and again it is just my opinion.  I dont know why Groves itself does not do that, it is a learining experience.  As far as all-stars goes, I do not put him up for it, he earned it and was chosen.  And as long as he wants to play, he will play.  As of right now he still wants to give it all he has and I am proud of him for that. I will not however push him to do something he does not want to do. I however now see why some people are going to LL instead of PONY.  He however likes the challenges he faces and the competition in the PONY league.  He thinks it is fun. 

That is exactly my question.  That was the reason I started asking about it in the first place and why I was so upset.   I grew up playing Little League Rules in soft ball because nothing else was available and we always had just one team to take in the all-stars.  The idea of having two teams per city throws me for a loop. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind it.  Like i said before this is our first year in all-stars playing the PONY League. My son does not know the LL way of doing things.  If the teams, both A and B are supposed to be equal, then why do coaches allways pick the best of the best as the A team and then go through the lineup as the B team.  If the teams are equal and supposed to be able to beat anybody, why not keep the teams as they are supposed to be in the first place and not do the whole switching around thing just to get to the end of the bracket? Ultimately to me people look at the route that has the weekest/easiest teams to be them put their best teams in that particular line up.  I dont know about other cities but our two teams were not matched up evenly.  Our B team was the younger/weaker of the two.  From what I understand so far that is the way it works with most cities and that is why the choice is made to put an A team as a B team to get further at all costs.  Please dont take that the wrong way.  Being a new comer to baseball itself, this is just how I have seen things done and again it is just my opinion.  I dont know why Groves itself does not do that, it is a learining experience.   As far as all-stars goes, I do not put him up for it, he earned it and was chosen.  And as long as he wants to play, he will play.  As of right now he still wants to give it all he has and I am proud of him for that. I will not however push him to do something he does not want to do. I however now see why some people are going to LL instead of PONY.  He however likes the challenges he faces and the competition in the PONY league.  He thinks it is fun. 

I think I understand where the confusion is coming into play. The teams are not supposed to be equal. On the "A" team you pick what is considered the 12 best players. On the "B" team you pick what is considered to be the next best 12. Taking into consideration that all of this is opinion and like it or not there is some politics in most of it. I think we in Orange have gotten alot of it out but I am not naive enough to think and I'm not dumb enough to say it out loud that we have gotten rid of all of it.

The reason for two teams is that it gives the next 12 an opportunity to experience all-stars. In theory hopefully this team is made up of some kids that will be on the "A" team next year. The reason behind chosing A or B once you get the bracket (I'm speaking why I make my choice only) is to see which path gives your team the best chance to advance. My theory here being, I ask my kids to give me all they have so I do everything I can as a coach to put them in the situation that gives them the best chance to win. It has nothing to do with who I will play. I always choose the shortest path to the Championship game. If I have the option for a bye then I take that route. If both paths are equal then I choose based on what time the games are and what times fit my schedule best.

The Pinto Concession stand in Vidor was broken into again over the weekend.  If anyone hears or knows anything please call the Vidor Police Dept. with info.  A report has been filed, this is about the 4Th or 5Th time that is has been broken into but the first time that any real damage has been done.  Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

• 9 months later...
Guest 1armpirate

just going through and reading some old stuff..this is entertaining right here.. :o :o ;D  Directors tourney and all stars is coming up..the board should be getting interesting

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder