Beaumont - Second Worst Places to Raise Family

This can't be good for Lamar and Beaumont, this kind of publicity that is...

The 10 Worst Places to Raise a Family (from best to worst)

Springfield, Missouri

Dayton, Ohio

Corpus Christi, Texas

Flint, Michigan (Country's highest violent-crime rate)

Columbia, South Carolina

Waco, Texas

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Fayetteville, North Carolina

Beaumont, Texas (Long-standing air-quality challenges)

Clarksville, Tennessee (Low educational spending: $6,729 per student)

This is the hidden content, please

It's all about the weight of the criteria. They also had to refer to (long-standing air quality) since this is actually up to standards now and they didn't want to revise their list and update their research. Beaumont will disappear off these worst lists soon enough. The area has far more employment, cultural, and sports activities than any of the other Southland Conference schools by far. I'd pick Lamar and Beaumont over Huntsville, Nacogdoches, Hammond, Conway, etc...

It's all about the weight of the criteria. They also had to refer to (long-standing air quality) since this is actually up to standards now and they didn't want to revise their list and update their research. Beaumont will disappear off these worst lists soon enough. The area has far more employment, cultural, and sports activities than any of the other Southland Conference schools by far. I'd pick Lamar and Beaumont over Huntsville, Nacogdoches, Hammond, Conway, etc...

I've heard lots of good things about Conway. Have not been there as I have to Huntsville, Nacogdoches, Hammond, Thibodaux, San Marcos and Beaumont...but Conway is apparently a pretty nice place.

I love the beaumont bashing.. considering we have how many more people than Huntsvegas?

Dare I quote UNLV and say, "does size always matter?"

LA is #12 for best place to raise family, maybe same sex marriage ;D This news article is a joke. Sounds like someone is getting nervous over our football program before we even land any recruits. ;)

Just trying to throw some Beaumont smack your way since it seems most of you are under the impression that it's some sort of mecca and that SETX is the second coming of whatever it may be...I don't quite get it!

As far as football, I'm not too concerned with your program seeing as SHSU has expanded our recruiting area in prep for Lamar and even more FCS/FBS teams heading this way. We're bringing in kids from states and parts of Texas that we have never looked before. If anything, I hope Woodard is not as narrow-minded as some of the folks on this board when it comes to the Golden Triangle. He needs to be more far-sighted...

I still think Lamar is going to have problems catching up with the McNeeses and Central Arkansas of the SLC...

LA is #12 for best place to raise family, maybe same sex marriage ;D This news article is a joke. Sounds like someone is getting nervous over our football program before we even land any recruits. ;)

Just trying to throw some Beaumont smack your way since it seems most of you are under the impression that it's some sort of mecca and that SETX is the second coming of whatever it may be...I don't quite get it!

We just have pride for our area, anything wrong with that? I mean you have Texas in you username yet you live in Louisiana... why?  ??? ???

We just have pride for our area, anything wrong with that? I mean you have Texas in you username yet you live in Louisiana... why?  ??? ???

TexasTerror comes from the old Houston Arena football team that may have been around when you were just barely walking around...did live in Houston most of my life outside of the last three years...

TexasTerror comes from the old Houston Arena football team that may have been around when you were just barely walking around...did live in Houston most of my life outside of the last three years...

By now, everyone on this site knows that Texasterror is and these articles are idiotic.  I find it comical that they keep trying to mention our air quality when the big cities have 100 times the polution we do.  Houston was listed as one of the best places to live and there are far more chemical plants in/around Houston.  I've made many a trip to Houston when I could literally see the smog floating around the city.

By now, everyone on this site knows that Texasterror is and these articles are idiotic.  I find it comical that they keep trying to mention our air quality when the big cities have 100 times the polution we do.  Houston was listed as one of the best places to live and there are far more chemical plants in/around Houston.  I've made many a trip to Houston when I could literally see the smog floating around the city.

You hang around Deer Park, the least romantic city in America? ;)

Guest abovetherim

As far as football, I'm not too concerned with your program seeing as SHSU has expanded our recruiting area in prep for Lamar and even more FCS/FBS teams heading this way. We're bringing in kids from states and parts of Texas that we have never looked before. If anything, I hope Woodard is not as narrow-minded as some of the folks on this board when it comes to the Golden Triangle. He needs to be more far-sighted...

I still think Lamar is going to have problems catching up with the McNeeses and Central Arkansas of the SLC...

I believe Coach Woodard has already stated his recruiting philosophy. If you read more and typed less maybe you would have seen the articles.

I know this isn't the greatest place on earth, but your downing our home. What do expect people to say? I don't think there are narrow minded epople either, maybe just don't buy into some of your garbage. We'll see about recruiting ;)

I know this isn't the greatest place on earth, but your downing our home. What do expect people to say? I don't think there are narrow minded epople either, maybe just don't buy into some of your garbage. We'll see about recruiting ;)

How can you not say there are narrow-minded people on this board? There's a fair share of posters here who are all about Golden Triangle recruits and coaches. They want ____ from West Brook and Silsbee as coaches and _____ from Nederland and Vidor as players...

How can you not say there are narrow-minded people on this board? There's a fair share of posters here who are all about Golden Triangle recruits and coaches. They want ____ from West Brook and Silsbee as coaches and _____ from Nederland and Vidor as players...

You don't think that we have people from this area that can get the job done? Who do you think has help all of the other SLC schools over the years when LU didn't have a team. There are alot of kids and coaches from this area that have contributed to other football programs. I agree that we are going to have to get SOME outside players and coaches, but it needs to be a mixture. That will keep the home crowd happy. What's narrow minded about that?

Not all at slc schools I know, but a quick search showed 23 kids from Jasper to Port Arthur playing for McNeese, SHSU, SFA, TX St, ULL, UH,TSU, PV. If half of them were graduating after LU gets football and chose to stay home, it would be a starting point. Thats not including the greater Houston area. I think we'll do fine even with our refineries ;D

You don't think that we have people from this area that can get the job done? Who do you think has help all of the other SLC schools over the years when LU didn't have a team. There are alot of kids and coaches from this area that have contributed to other football programs. I agree that we are going to have to get SOME outside players and coaches, but it needs to be a mixture. That will keep the home crowd happy. What's narrow minded about that?

Sure there are people in the Golden Triangle that can get the job done, but the way some individuals on this board talk, you would think that this your only recruiting spot and that you can build a winner solely from the Golden Triangle. Seems that too many individuals here rub a few too many elbows in the area...

Good thing for your program, Woodard knows better and while he'll have a few guys from the Triangle on his team, he's not going to bank the program on these players.

Reminds me of a story. Supporters of a program were telling a Div I coach that they need to look at XYZ because they were getting looked at by so many colleges. When the Div I coached asked that player's head coach what programs, it was all NAIA schools and bad ones at that. Kid could not play at Div I level at all.

Guest coachacola

Sure there are people in the Golden Triangle that can get the job done, but the way some individuals on this board talk, you would think that this your only recruiting spot and that you can build a winner solely from the Golden Triangle. Seems that too many individuals here rub a few too many elbows in the area...

Good thing for your program, Woodard knows better and while he'll have a few guys from the Triangle on his team, he's not going to bank the program on these players.

Reminds me of a story. Supporters of a program were telling a Div I coach that they need to look at XYZ because they were getting looked at by so many colleges. When the Div I coached asked that player's head coach what programs, it was all NAIA schools and bad ones at that. Kid could not play at Div I level at all.

I'll have to agree with you on this one, but I think those individuals are in the minority.  I do believe in the first few years of the program you'll see a lot of area players, especially since we'll have a lot of walk-ons, but that'll change once the football program becomes more established.

I'll have to agree with you on this one, but I think those individuals are in the minority.  I do believe in the first few years of the program you'll see a lot of area players, especially since we'll have a lot of walk-ons, but that'll change once the football program becomes more established.

Thanks coachacola. That minority is sometimes rather vocal on this board...

I am interested in Woodard's walk-on program. He seems to be putting a huge emphasis on it and I think we'll see lots of Golden Triangle guys get their chance through it, but once the program builds up and gets a nice balance each year in terms of scholarships, fewer walk-ons will be on the roster.

personally, i dont care where we get the players as long as we win a lot of games.  however, i like the idea of the walk on program.  over the years im sure there have been quite a few players from this area that could have played college ball from around here.  but never got the chance because they didn't have the money to leave home and the local university had no football program.  hopefully this walk on program will give some guys that have the talent the oppurtunity to play D-I college ball close to home. 

I agree with you too Terror, Woodard will recruit all around Texas and the gulf coast and probably arkansas and other branching areas. SETX has a lot of good local talent, and I'm sure we will get some, but no way could Lamar succeed with a team made up of all players from the golden triangle.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I agree with all of you about recruiting. I just hope LU is able to recruit SOME talent from this area. A&M, UT, Baylor, UH, Rice, LSU, and possibly USM within a five hour drive, recruiting is going to be tough. Hopefully we can steal a couple away from these types of programs in the future ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami