13-1 Cardinals snubbed by 21-3A

13-1 Cardinals snubbed by 21-3A

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Everyone has discussed it in our area and everyone seems to agree on a hot topic.

The word from coaches, fans, players and even us in the media is District 21-3A is the toughest 3A district in the state.

Just to make the playoffs out of 21-3A is said to be quite an accomplishment since it is a gauntlet to get out of.

So with that in mind, a big question comes to mind.

How in the world can a team go 13-1 and not be rewarded with a single player in the all-district superlatives?

That is exactly what has been done this season as the Bridge City Cardinals went 13-1 in the “toughest district in the state†and did not have a player selected in the superlatives.

I know exactly how these picks are made and understand the methods of the madness and for the most part I am not surprised when mistakes are made.

I usually let them slide off my back and look the other way.

This time it is not so easy when a 13-1 is practically stabbed in the back.

There has only been one other time when I have felt the need to step up and argue over some all-district picks.

It makes me think of what would happen if in a few weeks the District 22-4A team comes out and not a single Port Neches-Groves Indians player is awarded a superlative spot.

Taylor Monse of Hardin-Jefferson had a great for the Hawks on the mound and was selected as MVP of the district.

One of his biggest accomplishments had to be the final district game of the year, a win against Bridge City giving the Cardinals their first and only loss of the season.

I hate to practically take anything away from Monse but the game meant nothing to the Cardinals who did not look like the Cardinals I have seen in about 15 other games I witnessed this year.

Bridge City had the district championship locked up and already had its eyes set on bigger things — the playoffs.

It is never easy to go undefeated in 21-3A baseball especially with Jasper, Silsbee, Hardin-Jefferson and Hamshire-Fannett around.

Bridge City senior catcher Casey Jackson has the numbers to back up the right selection for MVP of the district since his Cardinals were the best team in league play.

Jackson batted .526 in district play with five homers, 18 RBI, five doubles and was walked 16 times.

Plus throw in the fact his defense behind the play was superb, just ask Taylor Hart of Jasper, and Jackson should have been the choice here.

I’ll even take it a step further and say if Jackson was not the choice, the best overall player in the district resides in Jasper in Malcolm Bronson who was named Offensive Player of the Year.

If Jackson was not MVP, the only players who I could have selected would have been Bronson and Bridge City’s Matt Hicks who pitches, plays shortstop and carries an above average offense.

Bronson hit over .500 with seven home runs and about 30 RBI.

Hicks’ fight for MVP would start with his work on the mound where he went 6-1 with a 1.95 ERA with 69 strike outs to just eight walks. Plus he beat Jasper twice this season and his only loss came against H-J in the meaningless affair.

Add on to the fact that two Bridge City errors in that game led to Hardin-Jefferson scoring four runs in a 5-2 win and Hicks was not to blame for the loss.

I hope politics did not play a role in this because the players deserve better than that when selecting these teams.

It should never matter who you like and if one person scratches your back so you will scratch theirs.

Certain players deserve the credit for a season in which they have earned recognition.

Jackson deserved the recognition even though he will not be the one to say it.

Don’t worry Casey, the Orange Leader Sports Department and the rest of Orange County enjoyed your MVP season.

Reach this reporter at 409-883-3571, Ext. 2618, or [email protected]

Monse had Jackson beat in every offensive category except BA, and was not far behind on

that.  He had more RBIs!  In addition to his offense he was 7-0 on the mound, 5-0 in

the toughest 3A district in the state.  In addition to his win against BC he was on the hill

in the run-rule against Jasper.  I do not see how the coaches could have given the MVP

to anyone else!  Coaches you did an outstanding job!  

I think that it is a disrespectful news article... i mean everyone has their favorite of who they think should have been district MVP and i agree that Jackson and Bronson were great players, but so was Monse...

I mean i think its disrespectful to go and say, that Monse should not have won that award... He put up great numbers and helped carry the Hawks, and make then runner ups in 21-3A with a 11-3 record...

and he is also going to continue to help them into the playoffs... and to say that the game where HJ beat BC was meaningless is untrue... EVERY GAME COUNTS...

My question is why did the game that BC lost to HJ mean nothing?  The article mentioned that at least twice.  Going 14-0 was not a priority to BC?  I think it was, they threw Hicks.  If it meant nothing, theywould have thrown some other guys who had not worked much during the season.  Congrats to all the area all-district ballplayers and to the Cards on their district title.

Gabe,

I love the work you do for our area athletes, but this article was totally uncalled for.

1.  Who would you take off the current list to add a BC player?

2. To get MVP, your coach must first nominate you for the award..... Check who BC nominated

3.  To say the BC/HJ game meant nothing to the cardinals is a slight to a BC team that tries their best to win everygame they play in!  Coach Bryant has too much pride for that.

4. Superlatives are not given based on team records...

(Why the heck do so many pro players win MVP who are not on first place teams)

They are given based on individual performance.

I just re-read this article and lost alot of respect for the Orange County Leader..... To imply that these picks were political is total nonsense!  You are a better reporter than that!

This sounds alot like my two year old daughter whining when I wont take her to Chuck E. Cheese.

My one and only job to do is to protect and have an opinion on the teams I cover, BC falls into that category.

I respect every team in the area but BC, OF, WOS, LCM, Deweyville and Vidor are my first priorities.

Sorry to disappoint anyone but I only meant to represent the teams I cover

My one and only job to do is to protect and have an opinion on the teams I cover, BC falls into that category.

I respect every team in the area but BC, OF, WOS, LCM, Deweyville and Vidor are my first priorities.

Sorry to disappoint anyone but I only meant to represent the teams I cover

And your doing a great job at it.....Thanks for keeping us informed all the time....Plus I like all of the Orange county Sports they are covered very well.

Jackson, Monse, or Bronson - any of the three would be an excellent chooice for MVP.  Being from BC, I would love to see Jackson win the award.  My friends in Jasper would argue Malcolm is the man - hands down.  Monse had an excellent season but for anyone to say that one of these was head and shoulders over the other is just being partial to their home team.  One of the posts (POPSXSIX) said he didn't see how the coaches could have given the award to anyone else.  That is tunnel vision - pure and simple.  Again, Monse had a great year and I say congrads!  If Bronson gets the award, guess what, I still say congrads!  And last but not least - Casey - all of BC thinks you are the MVP.  Good luck to all three in the playoffs!

Good article Gabe - I know it was meant to bolster an Orange County player, not tear down a player from another county. 

Gabe, we all like reading your posts and certainly you are entitled to your opinion in an obviously difficult selection process. Just wish you hadn't used the term "meaningless game" twice to support your position. That makes it sound like BC didn't try and didn't have the pride to want to finish with a perfect district record. Since we all know that is not true, your statement to the contrary erodes your credibility on this point.

If no one from the District Champs from BC is in the District recognition--then it is a bogus meaningless trade out by the losers in joint voting authority.

that about as funny of a quote as I have seen in a long time.  Lets just start a conspiracy theory.  Every team had players on the list.  Now whether you agree with or not agree is your own opinion.  Hmmmm maybe all the "looser coaches" called each other before the voting and agreed to make sure that no one from BC made the team.  Come on, do you really think that really happened?

If no one from the District Champs from BC is in the District recognition--then it is a bogus meaningless trade out by the losers in joint voting authority.

Actually there were quite a few players from BC that earned district recognition.  And for the rest of your comment, who were you refering to when you made the statement, "losers in joint voting authority"?

So what you are saying is that you know more about BC than you do about HJ.  Obviously becasue you don't cover HJ, like you do BC.  Which is why you are having such a hard time with the COACHES CHOICE of the district MVP.