PN-G/Brenham Predictions For Week 0. Cubs Preview

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vp93...Cherokee is in these kids blood. It has been many a year since I played, but when I hear Cherokee I want to get in the game. Of course, I would only last one play and they would have to carry me off the field! :lol: At PNG it is the whole tradition that is behind these kids. I wouldn't expect you to understand it. It is something you have to be part of.

vp93...Cherokee is in these kids blood. It has been many a year since I played' date=' but when I hear Cherokee I want to get in the game. Of course, I would only last one play and they would have to carry me off the field! :lol: At PNG it is the whole tradition that is behind these kids. I wouldn't expect you to understand it. It is something you have to be part of.[/quote']

nothing like a little brain-washing to get the kids excited :lol:

vp93...Cherokee is in these kids blood. It has been many a year since I played' date=' but when I hear Cherokee I want to get in the game. Of course, I would only last one play and they would have to carry me off the field! :lol: At PNG it is the whole tradition that is behind these kids. I wouldn't expect you to understand it. It is something you have to be part of.[/quote']

I guess it's just me because after the kick off at each half, I couldn't hear any bands, fans, etc... I was also so pumped and the adrenaline flowing there was no way anything could get me more pumped. I guess if Cherokee is in there blood then FOOTBALL was in mine.

vp93...Whatever. I think PNG Football speaks for itself.

I didn't mean anything negative about PNG football, I was just saying that you are giving too much credit to Cherokee. Cherokee or no Cherokee PNG has a good football team year in and year out.

I didn't mean anything negative about PNG football' date=' I was just saying that you are giving too much credit to Cherokee. Cherokee or no Cherokee PNG has a good football team year in and year out.[/quote']

Take a poll from the PN-G fans and players and then decide if he is giving Cherokee too much credit. I personally can't stand the song but they live and die by it. I wonder how Vidor fans feel about Slavonic?

Yes, the fans love it (Slavonic), but on the field I personally never heard anything any band played or fans in the stands. I had I guess tunnel vision, I didn't know anything else that was going on around me. Who knows, I guess I could be an exception. I always thought that is how everyone was, but hey I learn something new everyday.

Another thing that gets me pumped is the marching I at the end of halftime when the indian spirit really gets into his dance, last year had a mini spirit at the sidlines, I think Cherokee helps the players out but what really gets them going is the roar of the indian faithful :shock:

From PNG website

Cubs score with big plays--Still much work to be done, West says

Monday, August 21, 2006 3:07 PM CDT

BELLVILLE -- The Brenham Cub football team displayed some of the explosiveness that has the rest of the state looking at Brenham High School as a potential state championship contender Saturday in their first preseason scrimmage of the year.

Brenham scored twice in its first eight plays, as senior quarterback Jarrett Lee hit Kevin Ealey for passes of 65 and 70 yards, then scored one more touchdown during the game simulation on a 70-yard run by junior running back Lester Ward.

Kendrick Washington scored on a 70-yard run for the second-team offense.

“It went pretty well,†Brenham head coach Glen West said. “The main thing was we wanted to play with a lot of effort and come out healthy.

“We feel good about the effort, but we're not thinking that we're where we need to be because golly, we're not where we need to be.â€

Lineman Adam Schroder suffered a shoulder injury during the scrimmage, but was the only injury the Cubs had on the day.

Ealey emerged as Brenham's biggest bright spot early, catching a deep, 65-yard pass on the first play from scrimmage. He followed that up with a 15-yard run on the very next play. On the sixth play, Ealey caught a 10-yard out and ran an additional 60 yards thanks to a playmaking block from senior receiver Brandon Collins.

“Collins and (Justin) Daniels didn't have a chance to catch any balls, but they showed a lot of unselfishness,†West said. “They both came back and blocked well.â€

Daniels blocked two players on one play that allowed Kyle Mangan to break open a big pass reception.

In their next seven plays, the Cubs were able to move the ball but did not score.

Bellville took advantage of an overaggressive Cub defense in its first possession, West said, gaining yards on a short pass to a running back out of the backfield and turning it into a big play, but the Cub defense settled down as the scrimmage progressed.

“We kept them from moving the ball after that,†West said. “I don't think they had another first down after that initial play. We played real hard and kept them from moving the ball.â€

The scrimmage was delayed for 30 minutes by rain, and West said that when the teams finally returned to the field, he didn't think the intensity was the same. Each team had 10 plays with their first team offense, and neither side scored.

Brenham's second-team offense, led by junior quarterback Kyler Crenshaw, found success on Washington's touchdown run, and in passing to Harrison McWilliams and Tremaine Mathis. Brandon Smith also did well at fullback and slot receiver, West said.

The final portion of the scrimmage included a 20-minute game simulation with a continuously running clock. Bellville went three-and-out in its first possession, and the Cubs did the same in their first offensive series.

Bellville scored first after making a pair of first downs followed by a field goal. Brenham immediately answered when Ward ran 70 yards on a counter.

“Lester did a nice job of pass protection and he ran the ball well at times,†West said. “He showed why he's going to be a good back. He's giving us a really, really fine effort.â€

Bellville got the ball one more time and kicked a field goal as time ran out.

On the defensive side of the ball, West was impressed by linebacker Will Holle and defensive tackle Corderrol Lewis, as well as defensive end Darrell Nunn.

Artis Edwards broke up a pair of passes, as did Collins, and Ealey created defensive pressure from the linebacker position. Mangan played hard at defensive tackle, West said.

“I think he's got a lot of potential, but he's new to the position,†West said.

West said the defense was too soft against the run at times, but did show the kind of effort he was looking for.

West called the offensive line “adequate†several times, and said the line as a whole did an “OK job,†but was not a point of concern.

“They showed signs they could be a good offensive line,†West said.

On Saturday night, the Cubs visited Jasper to scout Port Neches-Groves, and were impressed with the Indians' scrimmage.

“We have our work cut out for us,†he said. “We're going to have to get better in a hurry to beat them. They're a very good running football team. They're big and they're physical and that's what we defended the worst.â€

The Cubs will host its second and final preseason scrimmage Friday with a 6 p.m. simulation with Round Rock Westwood.

Brenham will open the season Sept. 1 against PN-G at Houston's Reliant Stadium.

I'm predicting PNG and nederland to pull off big upsets.[/quo

I really hope you guys pull off both wins this next week. Would love to see this board thistime next week humming with some Png and Nederland smack. :lol:

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder