From Univ of Texas sports info dept: Brown now a 'Horn

AUSTIN, Texas — Combo guard J’Covan Brown (Port Arthur, Texas) has signed a National Letter of Intent to play basketball next season at The University of Texas, head coach Rick Barnes announced today. Brown will join the Longhorns for the 2008-09 season.

Brown (6-2, 180), who spent his junior and senior seasons at Port Arthur Memorial High School, is ranked as the No. 40 high school prospect in the nation by Scout.com and the No. 42 prospect by Rivals.com. As a senior at Memorial, he averaged 29.9 points per game while playing in 11 contests.

Brown earned all-state and all-region honors along with first-team All-District 21-5A accolades during his junior year, leading Memorial to a 29-6 record while averaging 27 points, six assists, five rebounds and three steals per game. He posted a career-high 50 points in a non-district game at Spring Westfield HS.

Brown played his freshman and sophomore seasons at Beaumont Kelly High School and led the Bulldogs to back-to-back 6A TAPPS (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) state titles. He averaged 25 points, seven assists and six rebounds per contest while earning first-team all-state honors as a sophomore. In his freshman year, Brown averaged 20.3 points, seven assists and four rebounds per game while earning second-team all-state accolades.

Guest DickVitale

Good luck to him.....AND Rick Barnes! They will BOTH need it.....I guess it is win at all cost  ::)...I just hope that he can get it together and not poison that whole program...I sincerely wish the best for that kid, but, right now, he is just not getting it!

Guest DickVitale

It is extremely baffling as to why he was even allowed to play in the Kingwood Classic, and I would have bet money that they withdrew the offer (glad I didn't  :D)...There are some sources that said he just wanted to play in the event one last time...why? who knows, but it is a strange situation...He still has to qualify academically, and I hope he can, but, this was one of the strangest situations that I have seen.

Love the UT announcement.  No mention of the suspension.  One might think he was injured playing only 11 games.    Question:  How are you experts wrong about the AAU tourney and it's implications on his scholarship?

I don't know smarty  :-\ but you must admit it was strange!!!!  Him even playing in it with his scholarship on th eline...  What if he had gotten seriously hurt? They would not have accepted his LOT!!!!  It may have something to do with the fact that Texas could not sign any blue chip recruits... They lost all the recruitment battles and are left with two top 50 players in the last two years....  They took the scraps this year...  Now I hope they get the Ebanks kid..

I have never commented on this whole situation once but I want to finally say this kid seems in my eyes to been thrown in the fire each and every time his name comes up.

I know he has done wrong and is not perfect but neither are any of us.

I now hope he goes to UT and does well for himself and has turned a corner in his life. Maybe UT should be applauded for not giving up on a kid and sticking with him.

This could be a turning point in this young mans life and only good things are in his future. He has his second chance, it is on his shoulders to make the best of it.

Smarty?  Thanks!  I thought it was a legit question.  What if he gets hurt tomorrow playing ball in the gym.  Are you saying he shouldn't play this summer?  Get real, dude.

But the Kingwood Tourny was before he signed...  If he gets hurt tommorrow they have already accepted his commentment and are forced to honor it...  two totally different situations!

Underr the fire?

Now I started questioning the kid this year.  I guess it was from actually being excited to watch him and going to his game til he turned my stomach.  I went to the Toyota Center to watch him play Yates and it was like the last straw.  They were loosing and I have never seen a kid act out like he did.  It baffled me and I seen some pretty bad kids, but not with his talent level.  Now if he had been provoked I would feel different...  But I watched him initiate trouble.  It is my fault for being a fan and wanting to watch great talent (Because I could have been at a Central game)...  Instead I got great attitude which overshadowed talent.  I was going to his games with my brother who loves PA and is a Lincoln grad and he said it first, "Man I am not wasting my time and money watching this kid anymore."  I still han't been pushed to the end but the next game I went saw he threw off his jersy and left the court....  That antic cost him his senior season.  Then I came to the realization that this kid just doesn't care.  So I stopped caring.  UT is my team so I guess I will be watching him again, but I hope I see a young adult play and not a what I was seeing in high school!

Guest DickVitale

I have never commented on this whole situation once but I want to finally say this kid seems in my eyes to been thrown in the fire each and every time his name comes up.

I now hope he goes to UT and does well for himself and has turned a corner in his life. Maybe UT should be applauded for not giving up on a kid and sticking with him.

This could be a turning point in this young mans life and only good things are in his future. He has his second chance, it is on his shoulders to make the best of it.

If you read earlier posts I was ridiculed for saying that he is a kid a deserves a chance for redeemption..I am really pulling for him to do well, and I HOPE he can turn it around...However, after this last stunt that he pulled at the Kingwood Classic....One can only wonder about the mental state of this kid...What is it going to take for him to actually get it? Having coached collegiately (and going back soon  ;D) I would NEVER recommend a kid that does those sort of things CONSISTENTLY to my head coach as an assistant. College coaches JOBS are on the line, and with every recruit that is brought in that does not pan out, YOU as the coach are looked at and scrutinized..Yes the kid CAN play and COULD potentially bring loads to a college program, BUT, you invest time and money into a kid and he CONTINUES odd behavior, and eventually is no longer in your program...Its a waste...From the University's perspective...In addition, there may be a kid or two that WILL NOT attend Texas because they dont WANT to play with a guy of his current character..It is a HUGE gamble by Texas, and I sincerely hope that it works out, but you tell me...If you were to have to place a monetary bet on the odds, given the CURRENT pattern...What would you put YOUR money on? I am all about second chances, but last weeks debacle has just turned my stomach about the situation.

Guest tigersvoice

If you read earlier posts I was ridiculed for saying that he is a kid a deserves a chance for redeemption..I am really pulling for him to do well, and I HOPE he can turn it around...However, after this last stunt that he pulled at the Kingwood Classic....One can only wonder about the mental state of this kid...What is it going to take for him to actually get it? Having coached collegiately (and going back soon  ;D) I would NEVER recommend a kid that does those sort of things CONSISTENTLY to my head coach as an assistant. College coaches JOBS are on the line, and with every recruit that is brought in that does not pan out, YOU as the coach are looked at and scrutinized..Yes the kid CAN play and COULD potentially bring loads to a college program, BUT, you invest time and money into a kid and he CONTINUES odd behavior, and eventually is no longer in your program...Its a waste...From the University's perspective...In addition, there may be a kid or two that WILL NOT attend Texas because they dont WANT to play with a guy of his current character..It is a HUGE gamble by Texas, and I sincerely hope that it works out, but you tell me...If you were to have to place a monetary bet on the odds, given the CURRENT pattern...What would you put YOUR money on? I am all about second chances, but last weeks debacle has just turned my stomach about the situation.

DickieV - Wishing you nothin' but net on your return to collegiate coaching.  Yes, I'll testify that up until now you were ALWAYS in Brown's corner regarding second chances.  I'm not clear on what all happened over at Kingwood, nor do I know specifically what has turned your stomach, but I do believe that the young

man has a SERIOUS behavioural problem.  I'm by no means an expert in the field and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night, but I did help rear 4 children and have made it a point to watch behaviour patterns in my children and in others too. 

IT IS NOT NATURAL to consistently mess up in the area that the young man professes to love - the gym / basketball.  I am surprised that the University of Texas did not rescind their previous offer.

Guest stevenash

Why is anyone surprised that he played in a tourney that he shouldn't have? You act as though the fact that he acted outside what should have been is something abnormal!!!

Guest DickVitale

One scouting system is predicting Brown will never set foot on campus due to academic problems.

See, thats what I am talking about right there...WHAT SCOUTING SERVICE has THAT kind of personal access to kids academic records? NONE...They are just guessing..Scouting service...who the heck are they? Who made them the basketball authority? AAU, thats who, because they don't know any better themselves...Makes me sick! >:(

One scouting system is predicting Brown will never set foot on campus due to academic problems.

See, thats what I am talking about right there...WHAT SCOUTING SERVICE has THAT kind of personal access to kids academic records? NONE...They are just guessing..Scouting service...who the heck are they? Who made them the basketball authority? AAU, thats who, because they don't know any better themselves...Makes me sick! >:(

Hmm! Do I detect a little AAU hat'n going on? :D

Guest Penny

Basketball is a team game, and when you don't make your teammates better by your being on the court, you ain't no good.  That is a fact.  Good/Great players make those around them better.  Ask yourself if that is the case here.  I'm not saying it is, it isn't, or if it will ever be.  He has a chance to make something great in his life.  You can say all you want about teaching people this or that, or hoping they will become this or that.... bottom line is that at some point, the hard facts kick in.  They will kick in at Texas.  At Texas, he'll either contribute to the team as a positive force... or he won't and we won't be talking much about it.  I hope he does well, but that's up to him and only him. 

OK, now that everyone has put their little comments in and all have been negative Big Cuz got something to say......

J' Covin Brown is a Longhorn...................lol.......................congrats

Well, I went to a very reliable source today and my source reminded me UT has many strings dandling out there.Anything is possible.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa