Neumann to interview at La Marque

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A school district too slow to learn

By Heber Taylor

The Daily News Published March 25, 2008

The Daily News recently sent a letter to the La Marque Independent School District saying the newspaper would sue the district unless it complied with the Texas Public Information Act.

Shortly after the newspaper’s attorney sent the letter, the school district released information on the candidates for the job of head football coach and athletic director at its high school.

As we’ve said before, we think the people in the school district have a right to see that information before the school district makes a decision. If people want to talk to their representative on the school board about filling such an important post, they should have the right to information that would permit an intelligent conversation.

Here’s the remarkable thing about this episode.

The Daily News sent the same letter to the same school district in February 2007.

Thirteen months ago, the La Marque High School coach’s job was vacant. The Daily News had requested a list of candidates and eventually got the list after threatening to sue.

In 2007, the school district originally said it would not release the information for 10 days.

Of course, readers of this page know there is nothing in the law that allows a governmental body to sit on a request from any citizen for 10 days.

That’s a common misconception.

What the law says is this: An officer for public information of a governmental body shall promptly produce public information for inspection, duplication or both on application by any person.

“Promptly†means as soon as possible under the circumstances — that is, within a reasonable time, without delay.

If the district thinks the information is not public, it has 10 days to seek an attorney general’s opinion. But, in 2000, the Texas attorney general issued an opinion in a virtually identical case. The public is clearly entitled to this information.

This year, when the head coach’s job again became vacant, The Daily News requested the information again. Nothing much happened until the newspaper again said it was preparing to go to court.

The excuse this time was that the consulting firm conducting the search for candidates was late in reporting the names.

That’s just hard to swallow. The district knew — or should have known — what the law required. All school officials had to do to comply with the law was pick up the phone, call their consultants and demand that they e-mail the requested information immediately.

A year ago, when this same issue came up, the editorial said: “The Daily News takes no joy in suing local governments. But it was planning to be in court today for two reasons.

“First, the public has a right to the information.

“Second, the school district has a responsibility to follow the law.â€

A year later, what we’d like to see is something that people in the business of education should be familiar with: a learning curve.

Does anyone know Neumann's all time record against Suggs ?

Counting Lincoln, 0-4....

My bad.  I was thinking he was only at Lincoln for one year, then Central for 1 or 2.  If you say four (total here in the triangle), then I believe you.  I know better than to question your knowledge of this stuff, '85.  :)

My bad.  I was thinking he was only at Lincoln for one year, then Central for 1 or 2.  If you say four (total here in the triangle), then I believe you.  I know better than to question your knowledge of this stuff, '85.   :)

I stand corrected.  1 with Lincoln, 2 with Central.  Combined score 175-15....

My bad.  I was thinking he was only at Lincoln for one year, then Central for 1 or 2.  If you say four (total here in the triangle), then I believe you.  I know better than to question your knowledge of this stuff, '85.   :)

whats Newmans overall record at Ned?

....and what did Super Suggs do with those teams that put such bad whippings on Nederland????....Nothing! A couple rounds deep into the playoffs and that's it, which I have been told stinks.

LM is not going to compare Suggs' and Neumann's head-to-head records. They will look at their records of the teams they coached and what they were able to do with the talent at hand. Neumann wins that one hands down.

....and what did Super Suggs do with those teams that put such bad whippings on Nederland????....Nothing! A couple rounds deep into the playoffs and that's it, which I have been told stinks.

LM is not going to compare Suggs' and Neumann's head-to-head records. They will look at their records of the teams they coached and what they were able to do with the talent at hand. Neumann wins that one hands down.

That last team Suggs had @Central put 20 on y'all @home and went to the 3rd round which is 1 less than Nuemann.  Besides, he's an old LM assistant and I bet he has just as good a record overall as Nuemann plus more district titles, recruits, etc.

And they should compare head to head being that he and St. Nuemann are the finalist.  Suggs has another little nugget under his belt:  He took 3 different teams to the playoffs 3 years in a row.  Nuemann can't match that one

If Coach Nuemann wants the job, go for it. Six figures really turbocharges the pension plan.

What would be crazy?  Dan Hooks on one side, Cornell Thompson the other, as Ned/WOS kicks off the season.

I do not know why the thought keeps crossing my mind, but it does. If we lose Neumann, I keep envisioning Cornell Thompson as our head man.

We don't think that it matters about head-to-head playoffs appearances, La Marque considers going four rounds deep into the playoffs.  If it's a matter of coaching experience Coach Nuemann gets the job hands down, if La Marque is looking for a former player then Coach Suggs gets the job. Again, Coog Nation for years has great R E S P E C T for the Nederland program, he may not have the talent but that is what stands out the most is what he did with less, La Marque may be in this position in '08.

Surely, Central and Lincoln had football players that made other teams look as though it was a track meet.

Guest Penny

Hound Dog, you make way too much sense buddy, you're not gonna last long around these parts.  People around here think Nederland has tremendous athletes and Neumann should be in the freakin state championship every year.  What they don't see, is what you do see... he does a helluva lot with what he's got and always has.  That goes for his staff as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• The locals have almost finished firing the first ever Speaker of the House from Southeast Texas upon direct order of Trump and his minions.   It's a sad day... Locals have decided that being represented by the most powerful man in the House didn't mean anything.... they'd rather a political novice to represent this part of SETX.  And why is that?  He wasn't MAGA enough for them.  Who cares that it will hurt locally... What Trump says, goes.     Just yesterday I saw Trump on television demanding that we fire Phelan... How he's a RINO, weak on the border, etc... why?  Because he wouldn't overlook the criminal actions done by Ken Paxton, one of Trump's key supporters in the effort to overturn the 2020 Election and allow Trump to remain in office despite the will of the voters.   Trump never even mentioned Covey's name, and I doubt he would recognize Covey if Covey walked up with a cup of coffee.  Who cares that it's bad for SETX?  Not the R voters from SETX!   Then I saw Covey's preacher on a different ad tell a bald face lie.  Why should Phelan be fired?  "He put Democrats in positions of power in the House."  Really?  That's been the position of BOTH parties for as long as anybody can remember.  They ALWAYS give the minority party committee chairmanships.  But in 2022 the Rs decided that the practice should stop.  Democrat voters should not be allowed a voice in the crafting of legislation if there is a single majority Republican seat in the House, according to the Rs.  Representative Government?  Never heard of it, huh? Never did I believe that we'd have an abortion ban, constitutional carry, huge cuts for school property taxes, and Texas law enforcement being greenlit to enforce immigration law.  But it all happened while Phelan was speaker.  Without a doubt, the most conservative Speaker, ever.  But still a dirty RINO for not being MAGA enough.  It would be funny if it weren't true.   I've been following politics long enough to remember when Rs couldn't get elected in Texas... I'm confident that we're headed back that direction.  I mean, it's obvious that with population shifts we'll be turning blue eventually.  I think that the behavior of the leadership of the Republican Party is going to cause that shift sooner than expected.  I won't be surprised to see Democrat Senators and possibly even a governor elected within 12 years.  Maybe less.  The Rs will be a party apparatus without a voting base behind them.
    • Yellowjacket faithful are still pouring into Hudson HS’s Gipson Field!!!!  
    • This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
    • The game will be live streamed for those that have Game Changer under the Chester team thread.  I believe the radio station out of Palestine will have radio broadcast.
    • For those John Candy lovers (my attitude right now): This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up
  • Topics