Breaking News: Wildcatters Say Team Must Vacate Arena Within 30 Days of Playoff'

Breaking News: Wildcatters Say Team Must Vacate Arena Within 30 Days of Playoff's End

The Texas Wildcatters say Jefferson County administrators have told them to vacate their offices and players' facilities at Ford Arena within 30 days of the completion of the ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs, and the team says the County terminated all negotiations as of March 12.

The team's Director of Communications, Quincy Bird, issued a news release Thursday evening stating the County has indicated it'll refuse to honor the terms of the Wildcatters' license agreement pertaining to play for five full hockey seasons.

The news release states that on February 28, the County withdrew its offer for the $4,000 per game rent. 

KFDM News has left messages with a number of county officials for comment.

NEWS RELEASE FROM TEXAS WILDCATTERS:

WILDCATTERS INSTRUCTED TO VACATE FORD ARENA

"The Texas Wildcatters were told Wednesday afternoon by Jefferson County to vacate their offices and players' facilities in Ford Arena within 30 days from the completion of the 2008 ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs.  The County has indicated it would refuse to honor the terms of the Wildcatters' license agreement permitting play for five full hockey seasons.

It is unfortunately now clear, that despite the Wildcatters' good faith efforts since October 29, 2007 to have an honest dialogue with county officials concerning hockey in Southeast Texas, that all negotiations have been terminated by the County as of March 12, 2008.

During the course of negotiations to retain hockey in Southeast Texas, the Wildcatters at all times believed the County would live up to the license agreement signed by the County and currently in effect and that clearly provides for five full hockey seasons.

While the Wildcatters originally initiated discussions with the County this past fall, the Wildcatters, on February 4, 2008, made a comprehensive proposal to the County which also included the addition of a second major professional sports team (MISL) which would have added another 15 dates to the arena's calendar.  In addition to the current Wildcatters total of 36 dates, this would have brought the total number of sports dates to 52 plus playoffs, accounting for nearly 80% of the current building usage.

In that proposal the Wildcatters also offered to make a very significant investment of $1 million to $5 million in the building.    That offer was ignored.

The County's only response to this comprehensive proposal was to propose a rent of $10,000 per game - triple what is clearly identified in the license agreement - followed by a later offer of $4,000 per game.  These delays and the ensuing breach of the license agreement caused the Wildcatters to miss several extended ECHL deadlines and cost the Wildcatters the opportunity to retain an ECHL team for the 2008-2009 season.

The County encouraged the Wildcatters to pursue other playing options and the organization immediately began negotiations with the Central Hockey League.  The Wildcatters arranged for the purchase of a CHL franchise to bring to Jefferson County.  The CHL has seven Texas-based teams and offers the opportunities for tremendous geographic rivalries due to the relative proximities of many of the teams in relation to Southeast Texas.

On February 28, 2008, the County withdrew its offer for the $4,000 per game rent, and it has become clear that the County was not negotiating in good faith to keep professional hockey in Southeast Texas.  In response to several misleading and inaccurate reports concerning details of the Texas Wildcatters' lease status at Ford Park, the team is releasing all information, letters and documents in its possession pertaining to discussions with County officials in order to clarify the record.

As part of this, it is the Wildcatters understanding that the County has indicated, in connection with discussions with various third parties, that the County is awaiting a response from the Wildcatters to the County's offer for hockey at Ford Arena in 2008-2009.  There is in fact no offer from the County for the team to respond to.  The County officials have informed the Wildcatters their lease is null and void after completion of the 2008 Playoffs.

The Wildcatters have been told they may not play at Ford Park next season, costing the arena its primary tenant as well as a proposed new sports tenant and significant capital contribution.

The Wildcatters will continue to pursue all options to keep professional hockey in Southeast Texas for the 2008-2009 season.

Materials pertaining to the County discussions with the Wildcatters are currently available for the media at the Wildcatters' offices and will be posted for the public on the team website: wildcattershockey.com by 10 p.m. Thursday, March 13.

The Texas Wildcatters are a proud ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild of the NHL and the AHL's Houston Aeros."     

That is unbelievable!!!  Why would the county NOT take advantage of an opportunity to make use of the arena for 36+ dates?  IMO, any and ALL elected county officials need to be ousted from office in the next election!  What in the world are they thinking?? 

Seriously, what kind of idiots are running Jefferson County?   Considering how cash strapped the county always claims how can they even turn down this statement

In that proposal the Wildcatters also offered to make a very significant investment of $1 million to $5 million in the building.    That offer was ignored.

A few weeks back the county was talking with BISD about tearing down the amphitheater now it looks like the county is kicking its only tenant out. Griffith may have lost his position as county judge due to Ford Park, but it is there now.  It has to be supported and paid for.  Even if it is torn down and buried the bill is still there.  

it's the usual Jefferson County good old boy network at work again, if it were a prominent friend of those on the county court you can bet you arse this deal would have been done.  If they cant get one of their own buddies in there they just pull the plug.  It was already bad enough that there is already a large group of people who refuse to support anything at FP to begin with, now by telling the TWC to vacate they have only managed to add to that group of people who will never again support anything out at FP whether it is a Driller game, concerts, rodeo, you name it.  It's not like they're going to give us tax breaks because the arena will be empty.

This is the hidden content, please

After watching that all I can say is Walker is a dope.  First it came out the county wanted $10000 a game then only $4000.  Who is taking money from whom here?  Quick question, if hockey represents 80% of the building usage and the county wants it gone then why did they resign a huge contract with SMG to run the facility?  Obviously Ford Park will become a glorified civic center.  If I was a local Ford dealer who had committed thousands of dollars to this facility I'd be looking at the fine print of the contract and contacting attorneys.

I may be wrong but I dont think it was the local ford dealers who kicked in but the company Ford itself. I'm not saying all Catter/hockey fans are from Jeff County but I would highly doubt many of those from Jeff County will vote to re-elect any of them.

The difference as I understand it between the 10,000 per game off and the 4,000 per game offer is that the 10k per game was one flat rate, whereas the 4000 per game does not include parking revenue (80% to the county), concessions (again 80% to the county) and things of that nature which would obviously increase that 4000. 

Hypothetical 500 cars at $5 each = $2500 in parking which means another $2000 to the county that brings the total to $6000 then concessions say 2000 people and an average of $5 per person spent = $10000 which means another 8000 to the county making it really about 14000 per game rent.  I know there is more to it than just that, just trying to create an example. 

I would say Walker is an idiot and a retard but I wouldnt want to put down those who really are by including him in with them, he's just a special kind of stupid.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn