Need a rules clarification

Guest DickVitale

What's sad is they only get 1 month...

It should be part of the curriculum just like all history...  It should follow the time line...  It should be just HISTORY not HIS Story!

Crispus Attucks

Nat Turner

Thurgood Marshall

Frederick Douglass

Olaudah Equiano

Sengbe Pieh

harriet tubman

These are just a few of the influential blacks I teach about in my 8th Grade U.S. History class in months other than February, not to mention those in the month of Feb. Also, they are part of the state of Texas' curriculum. I am white and I don't teach HIS Story!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

WOW...Thats all the black influence that we have had on this country?...SEVEN..oh wait, thats just "a few" right?....Now THATS impressive..No wonder people in Dayton, are so well rounded... ::) ::)...Are you serious? If you can name the particular ones....Its not nearly enough.  I will bet that they teach that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America too, huh? I am sure you mean well, dayton, but that is just the tip of the iceburg...

WOW...Thats all the black influence that we have had on this country?...SEVEN..oh wait, thats just "a few" right?....Now THATS impressive..No wonder people in Dayton, are so well rounded... ::) ::)...Are you serious? If you can name the particular ones....Its not nearly enough.  I will bet that they teach that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America too, huh? I am sure you mean well, dayton, but that is just the tip of the iceburg...

that's why I said just a few. I didn't think I needed to write a dissertation in order to get my point across, but I can see that even if I did it wouldn't have done any good.

my students know that Europeans weren't the first ones here.  ::) If you think that is what is being taught, you don't know as much as you think you do.

Keep stirring, I'm done.

Alright DV the man did type that those were just a few of the black inspirational leaders which he focus's on in his class. Emphasis on just a few meaning there are more. It seems now you are just fishing. Hell thats more than what most teachers include in a whole enitre year... trust me i know

This thread has turned into another racial discussion, which seems to be happening a lot lately on a BASKETBALL board.  

People are arguing different points, but I think everyone agrees that racism still occurs today to every different section of society.  However, some may disagree to the extent of racism exhibited.  

People like DickieV love to use it as an excuse for every perceived injustice in sports (ie. SOC).  Whenever something doesn't go your way, you should learn to overcome instead of blame.  It's a good life lesson.  That's my last take on this topic or any discussion with DickieV in general, as he does not actively listen to other points of view, or admit when he's wrong (ie. all district selections).  

Guest DickVitale

that's why I said just a few. I didn't think I needed to write a dissertation in order to get my point across, but I can see that even if I did it wouldn't have done any good.

my students know that Europeans weren't the first ones here.  ::) If you think that is what is being taught, you don't know as much as you think you do.

Keep stirring, I'm done.

You would REALLY be surprised at what I have seen throughout the years...I said that YOU probably mean well, and it is great your students know the truth...If I step on YOUR toes, then you say ouch...Otherwise accept the compliment and move on.

Guest DickVitale

This thread has turned into another racial discussion, which seems to be happening a lot lately on a BASKETBALL board.  

People are arguing different points, but I think everyone agrees that racism still occurs today to every different section of society.  However, some may disagree to the extent of racism exhibited.  

People like DickieV love to use it as an excuse for every perceived injustice in sports (ie. SOC).  Whenever something doesn't go your way, you should learn to overcome instead of blame.  It's a good life lesson.  That's my last take on this topic or any discussion with DickieV in general, as he does not actively listen to other points of view, or admit when he's wrong (ie. all district selections). 

You mean you are not going talk to me anymore? What am I going to do, now....all is lost ::) ::)...Man, get outta here.  I posed a question, it spins off into other topics, (which is not really a bad thing) and YOU say I am BLAMING someone?...No, I am speaking the truth and not afraid to do it either..those KIDS at Dallas SOC deserve better treatment, and acknowledgement...How do you overcome that, other than to recognize it and discuss it with others?  And by the way...You dont have to respond...I dont need your approval to know that I am right...

Do you know what i notcied....  If it were not for Dickie V and others putting some contraversial  material on this site most topics would have one to none on replys...  The only thing that gets threads going is contraversy.  For instance two local teams vying for a State bid like HJ and Silsbee, racism, and kids getting suspended... So why does everyone trip....

Guest DickVitale

Hey, no thanks necessary!! :D...Its what I do, baaaabbyyy!!...I am glad SOMEBODY sees it....Instead of gratitude, I get the "spite" button pushed....over and over again!! ;D

"THEY CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!"  ;)

Guest DickVitale

See, yall should always go with a winner. SOC! SOC! SOC! Not one Bmt. school in the State playoff. Only 3 High schools and what does this say about your talent in the area? Meet a real team and they falter.

One week you are with Yates...then they lose, and you are a Wheatley guy...then they lose and now its SOC....You are a classic bandwagon guy!! :D...Are you a NY Giants fan too? Let me guess....Spurs fan, right? hilarious, dude... :D

Guest bleed orange

SOMETHING had to be a deciding factor, other than race, or that coach was just plain retarded...Was he a white coach?...That would be crazy if he were.  There was NOTHING ignorant about my statement, maybe your DB should look into something else and focus on graduation...How about that? There are things that are more important than playing football...Besides, he already will have a running start heading into the work force as it is, so just be glad about that...Good luck to you both.

Hey "Dick" are sure your name is not Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. See those guy's fight the battles they know they can win. Instead of going after the real issues. I hear the word "economic challenged" and the first word that come to mind is "excuses". You also made a comment about a white kid from Texas ATM verses a African American from Prairie View. Maybe its just the college, has nothing to do with race. Reverse logic let say two African Americans applied for the same job. One from Lamar and one from Texas ATM. Your right it should not matter but it does. I cannot explain that. It's not a white, black issue. It's a click college issue.

You seem to think that all white kids have a silver spoon in their mouth. Wrong again. My parents owned their own business. They worked hard for their money. They fed us and clothed us and that was it. I went to work at 15 and paid my own way. I am very thankful for that. It made me strong and to able to survive in the world.

I also keep hearing the comment about African American kids being more athletic. That is bull. Do you honestly believe that god said, I will make this race better than the other and that goes for everthing. I believe you make your own destiny. The problem with white kids is, they are spoiled and lazy. See I am not afraid to tell the truth either.

Guest DickVitale

First off..Your facts are WAY off...I compared a student from Sam Houston State to Prairie View PURPOSELY, because they are two similar schools as far as prestige goes...Never said ANYTHING about Texas A&M...Nor did I say ANYTHING about being superior athletically...Tell you what...READ my posts, and I will respond to you when you get it right....goodness... ::) ::)..Some of you people make me think that you are retarded sometimes....really.

Another rules clarification please....for the gurus to answer!!  If a player shoots the ball, and the ball touches nothing and the shooter goes and gets it before anyone touches it, and then makes the shot, do we have 2 points or not????  Guru's only please!!!

No....that was truly a dumb question....NO.  You guys just dont stop, do you?...You people are so friendly in person, too...yet you constantly attempt to antagonize me over the internet...wonder why? Cowards...you people are cowards...historically...backstabbing cowards

so dickie ur  answer is no? once again u show stupid u are when it comes to basketball. Always riding boutte tail, and never really knowing what the heck ur talking about

SOMETHING had to be a deciding factor, other than race, or that coach was just plain retarded...Was he a white coach?...That would be crazy if he were.  There was NOTHING ignorant about my statement, maybe your DB should look into something else and focus on graduation...How about that? There are things that are more important than playing football...Besides, he already will have a running start heading into the work force as it is, so just be glad about that...Good luck to you both.

Hey "Dick" are sure your name is not Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. See those guy's fight the battles they know they can win. Instead of going after the real issues. I hear the word "economic challenged" and the first word that come to mind is "excuses". You also made a comment about a white kid from Texas ATM verses a African American from Prairie View. Maybe its just the college, has nothing to do with race. Reverse logic let say two African Americans applied for the same job. One from Lamar and one from Texas ATM. Your right it should not matter but it does. I cannot explain that. It's not a white, black issue. It's a click college issue.

You seem to think that all white kids have a silver spoon in their mouth. Wrong again. My parents owned their own business. They worked hard for their money. They fed us and clothed us and that was it. I went to work at 15 and paid my own way. I am very thankful for that. It made me strong and to able to survive in the world.

I also keep hearing the comment about African American kids being more athletic. That is bull. Do you honestly believe that god said, I will make this race better than the other and that goes for everthing. I believe you make your own destiny. The problem with white kids is, they are spoiled and lazy. See I am not afraid to tell the truth either.

Now I must comment on this b/c know where did anyone say that African Americans where more athletic than any other race or culture. The post was made by a parent that he was told by a coach that the reason his son wasn't recruited as a DB is b/c his son wasn't the type of athlete they wanted for that position and majority of black kids are recruited to play that position. Know where did it state anywhere that black kids were more athletic, so bleed orange please dont get involved if your not ready for the fire b/c it's been pretty HOTT today on this thread

Guest bleed orange

First off..Your facts are WAY off...I compared a student from Sam Houston State to Prairie View PURPOSELY, because they are two similar schools as far as prestige goes...Never said ANYTHING about Texas A&M...Nor did I say ANYTHING about being superior athletically...Tell you what...READ my posts, and I will respond to you when you get it right....goodness... ::) ::)..Some of you people make me think that you are retarded sometimes....really.

[/quote

You are right it was Sam Houston state and I apologize. But it makes no difference what college it is. You bring up race in most of your post. That's what I have a problem with. If it was 1950 than maybe but not 2008. Does racism still exist, yes it does but not like you proclaim on here sometimes.  I can tell you are a educated man. You write very well. Don't bring up the white/black issues. It's not an issue unless someone brings it up. I don't have a problem expressing my views on here and neither do you. That's a good thing sometimes if it is in good taste because nothing will be solved unless we talk about it. But beating a dead horse is not.  

Any of you who are saying racism doesnt exist is lying to himself be honest with yourselves no one else will. The difference in now and pre 1960's desegregation is that racism goes both ways you can not tell me that little leroy sees little Jimmy as equal. Racism is taught but now its taught in all house holds we're getting no better here.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa