Regents Unanimously Approve Fee to Fund LU Football

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
Regents with the Texas State University System have approved an athletic fee to help pay for the return of football to the Lamar University campus.

The 8 regents present unanimously approved the fee at about 10:30 a.m. Friday during their meeting at Lamar University. One regent was absent.

http://www.kfdm.com/news/football_24850___article.html/fee_lamar.html

That is exactly the kind of attitude that we don't need around here.  Instead, all of us that have any affinity for Lamar University should be talking the program up to our friends and families and convincing them to invest in the program by buying tickets, donating a little, just doing whatever to get this thing off on the right foot.

I remember when Lamar was 75 yards away from beating Arizona st at Sundevils stadium in front of 70,000 fans.

I was on the sideline....

A double reverse pitch back pass was snuffed out...

Shed Smith (the QB) was sacked and the upset chance was lost.

Talk about a beautiful stadium.

The field was like a putting green.

Easily the best football field I have ever been on.

That is exactly the kind of attitude that we don't need around here.  Instead, all of us that have any affinity for Lamar University should be talking the program up to our friends and families and convincing them to invest in the program by buying tickets, donating a little, just doing whatever to get this thing off on the right foot.

Look, if Lamar officials had listened to me years ago, the program would have been back by now. You guys could have had a team of walk-ons without scholarships. Played  D-111 and enjoyed football. The last year you had a decent team and your fan base was still weak.

You think winning brings fans in overnight? No, it takes time. Be patient and people will come. I mean if we start decently but increase our wins every year and also win the conference, fans will come.

Bluedove, are you going to support the Cardinals?

will the HS games still be played there?

That shouldn't be an issue once the BISD Stadium is complete.  The last I heard the LU soccer team wasn't a big fan of sharing the stadium with Ozen anyway.  What are the plans for Cardinal Stadium?  Obvioiusly the press box will be re-done.  Capacity should be fine for now I would think....field turf??  New work out facility?  Anyone know what's supposed to happen?

You think winning brings fans in overnight? No, it takes time. Be patient and people will come. I mean if we start decently but increase our wins every year and also win the conference, fans will come.

Bluedove, are you going to support the Cardinals?

The LU basketball have a winning streak and I noticed there was about 4,000 in attendance. There is nothing to do in Beaumont on Thursday nights. Yeah I'll probably attend some football games if it comes back.

Guest coachacola

I hate rehashing the past but SETX did support football at Lamar until the 1980s then a combination of factors doomed football:

1.  Not have very many winning seasons over the years makes it hard to pack in the crowds, especially for a school like Lamar that was pretty new to D1 football.

2.  Dropping down to the D1-AA level in 1982 and basically concentrating on basketball was the beginning of the end for football.

3.  Leaving the SLC and going D1-AA independent effectively killed any chance for football to succeed.  (The other schools that left with LU at the time either stayed D1-A independent or went eventually went back up to D1-A.)

4.  The economy tanked real bad in SETX at the same time. (Remember the 9% to 10% unemployment level in the area?)  Lamar also started having financial problems at the same time.

Football will succeed this time because:

1.  Lamar is part of the Texas State University System and is now well managed and funded.  The local economy is also booming and the area is growing.

2.  The new athletic fee will provide a source of funding for the football program which it didn't have back then.  There's going to be a lot of money spent on updating the stadium (field turf, new field house, etc) so Lamar will have top-notch facilities.

3.  Lamar will not go independent.  They will either stay in the SLC and play FCS football which has a playoff system, and/or they will join a D1-A conference in the future.  Football will not get ignored this time.

It's a new day for Lamar football.  The past is the past.  It's time to look the future and enjoy what's coming!!! 

The approval is great news!  I will definately be there, buying my season tix the 1st day they go on sale! 

Get your checkbook out, Season tickets are expected to go on sale this summer....according to the news.

I am not concerned about the season tickets, that's a done deal with me. What I am interested in is buying a suite. I say Setxsports buys one when they go on sale. What do you say Jordan? You can put me down for a share.

A couple of points about Lamar Football

- being part of the Texas State University System is a very good thing for Lamar Football.  Remember, state funds cannot be used for athletics or stadium building or renovation.  Lamar will have to cultivate many donors and season ticket sales.  Personally, I don't think Lamar will have any problems raising the money, what with the deep pocket lawyers that are in this area.  Don't depend on the "body games" to fund the program.  That will kill the excitement. Play one, maybe two D1A programs a year.  Winnable games against some lower tier Sunbelt or CUSA teams.

- Lamar has to hire the very best, experienced head coach they can afford.  And just as important is Lamar has to pay the bucks to attract the good assistants.  They have to hit the ground running that first year of play.

I am really excited for Lamar Football.  I am not even an LU grad and I plan on buying season tickets to support the program.  I'll even attend games when convenient and not conflicting with any North Texas games in Denton.  I attend those too.  I really enjoy college football.

The approval is great news!  I will definately be there, buying my season tix the 1st day they go on sale! 

Get your checkbook out, Season tickets are expected to go on sale this summer....according to the news.

That's great news!  I'm ready.  The sooner, the better!! 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124