*Central vs. Barbers Hill Playoff/73-71 BH Wins/Comments*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not executing.  Missed key free throws.  Guard play at the end.  And a lucky flip shot.  All this is the reason why our boys will be clearing their lockers tonight.  Bottom line.  This one was an emotional one, especially for our seniors.  I expect next years group to work harder in the off season and get payback.  Again, this BH team busted their butts tonight and deserve to win.

The officiating was horrible and was mostly against Central in the first 3 periods.  It started evening out in the fourth, although still bad.  BH Didn't miss 3 pointers and made a few key defensive stops.  They were scrappy.  We couldn't stop #10 from doing anything, hince, weak guard play on our part.  The whay that they were playing tonight, they could give any good team hell.

The officiating was horrible and was mostly against Central in the first 3 periods.  It started evening out in the fourth, although still bad.  BH Didn't miss 3 pointers and made a few key defensive stops.  They were scrappy.  We couldn't stop #10 from doing anything, hince, weak guard play on our part.  The whay that they were playing tonight, they could give any good team heck.

well at least yall made the playoffs man, cant say the same for another certain Golden T team.  >:(

I think that if the chips would have fell correctly, yall would have been a force in these playoffs.  If you know what I mean.

i know exactly what you mean. im not gonna speak on it too much but that whole thing was crazy but it is what it is.

isnt Central getting that wiz kid 8th grader next year?

I was able to make it to this one what a great game......Central gave all they had and it came down to the wire!!!  I have to say that the officiating was not great for either team.  They let central get away with just as much as BH......they let them ride that #10 all over the court, is hand checking not a foul anymore?  And what about under the goal....I know that Central was bigger down low but I saw many times that they were clearly fouling on their offensive rebounds......They got their breaks in officiating too.....oh and another thing, the last shot was a prayer yes, but what about the other 33 points #2 had?  Can't blame the last alone.  And what was Central thinking.....ZONE to open the second half???? did they not get the word, BH can shoot.

Great game by all players, good crowd.......I would have paid double if I had known how that one was gonna be!!!

Guest DickVitale

Yeah I said it in the other thread..I had to call a spade a spade...They did not adjust to #2 AT ALL...They continued to trail the ball screens instead of switching and hedging, and got MURDERED..Big bro sat Gulley for the ENTIRE second quarter, because he picked up a 2nd foul late in the first...His assistants probably should have said SOMETHING, but I would NOT have sat him THAT long..THAT hurt them too, because the momentum shifted in the 2nd...Central's #10 was hot early, but he hurt them BAD, because he took lots of bad shots, and not to mention that 4th quarter TO...They settled for threes WAY to often..I would have let Gulley and #33 KILL BH on the low block...Every time they went inside to one of them, they either scored or went to the line...about 85-90% of the time..They shot about 20 3's and that not their game...He needed to emphasize post play, especially with a guy like Gulley who can get to the basket and score like he can...The officiating was bad, as I expected, but that did not cost them the game..BH went shot 30+ free throws last night, Central shot 14...BH was playing VERY dirty, especially #34..He should go to the wrestling team!...just my 2 cents..

Guest DickVitale

Bh plays Physical, not dirty.  There is a difference.  I know this team and they are not dirty, but they are physical.  Great game!  I told you people that this would be the best first round match up.  I also predicted the upset.

NO...I know the difference, and that #34 was playing DIRTY...You don't box out and UNDERCUT at the same time...You don't box out a shooter after shot 1 of a two shot foul, step on his feet and ram your butt into his stomach at the same time. DIRTY.

Yeah I said it in the other thread..I had to call a spade a spade...They did not adjust to #2 AT ALL...They continued to trail the ball screens instead of switching and hedging, and got MURDERED..Big bro sat Gulley for the ENTIRE second quarter, because he picked up a 2nd foul late in the first...His assistants probably should have said SOMETHING, but I would NOT have sat him THAT long..THAT hurt them too, because the momentum shifted in the 2nd...Central's #10 was hot early, but he hurt them BAD, because he took lots of bad shots, and not to mention that 4th quarter TO...They settled for threes WAY to often..I would have let Gulley and #33 KILL BH on the low block...Every time they went inside to one of them, they either scored or went to the line...about 85-90% of the time..They shot about 20 3's and that not their game...He needed to emphasize post play, especially with a guy like Gulley who can get to the basket and score like he can...The officiating was bad, as I expected, but that did not cost them the game..BH went shot 30+ free throws last night, Central shot 14...BH was playing VERY dirty, especially #34..He should go to the wrestling team!...just my 2 cents..

Sounds like a lack of discipline on Central's behalf. Dickie, thats one thing I can say about your father, back in the day, he demanded discipline from his teams.

Write up from the BH Sports Report also a great pick of Mr Ybarra for two of his 35!!

BrooksYbarravsCentral.jpg

Barbers Hill defeats Bmt. Central 73-71!

With 9.47 seconds left in a tie game, there was no doubt who was going to get the ball for Barbers Hill.  I thought I knew.  The BH faithful knew.  And Beaumont Central surely knew.  But it didn't matter, Brooks Ybarra took the inbounds pass, looked for an opening and then drove to the hoop.  There were Jaguars all around. They tried; arms flailing, swatting for the ball.  Somehow Ybarra got a scooped shot off toward the backboard and the ball found the bottom of the net as the horn sounded.  The buzzer beater made a winner of the Eagles as they advanced to face LaMarque in the next round of the state playoffs.

Game Quarter Highlights

1st - Central grabs early lead getting out to an 11-7 score.  Brooks Ybarra drives for 2 and coverts a freethrow; Central 11-10.  Jaguars extend lead to 15-11 but Jake Miller scores under the bucket and hits a freethrow; Central 15-14.  Ian Hamlin put Barbers Hill in the lead with driving lay-up; BH 16-15.  Ybarra ends the scoring by driving down the lane; BH 18-15.

2nd - The teams began to exchange 3 point baskets.  Central starts it off by hitting a long trey from the left side.  The teams exchange baskets to remain tied at 22.  Then the guards got back into the act as both teams hit back-to-back 3 point baskets which made the score 30-30 with the quarter winding down.  Each team hit a pair of FTs and BH got one more three point play as Barbers Hill took a 35-32 lead into the dressing room.

3rd - In the third period, Jon Daniels found his shooting touch from the outside.  Daniels connected on 3 consecutive as the Eagles tried to create some separation.  After getting a 7 point lead on Central, the Jags got a bucket with a freethrow cutting the deficit to 4.  Ybarra then connected for a 3 and the made a couple of FTs to extend the lead to 8, 52-42.  The Jags got a couple of baskets to to trim the margin but BH responded and held a 55-48 lead at the end of 3 quarters.

4th - Just when it appeared as though the Eagles were ready to take control of the game, Central put a clamp on BH's outside game and began their rally.  With BH ahead 59-50, Central was able to get within 3 at 61-58 with just over 5 minutes remaining.  The teams traded baskets and freethrows as the game clock began to wind down.  With BH ahead 64-61, Ybarra once again was able to allude his defender and drive down the lane for 2.  After a quick stop, Daniels once again connected from the arc, BH 69 Central 61 with 2:17 on the clock.  Central then began to take the ball inside scoring 8 unanswered points and tied the game with 51.75 second left in the game.  After a BH timeout, Central converged on Ybarra on the inbounds pass.  Brooks quickly found Miller standing alone by the hoop for an easy 2; 71-69.  Central brings the ball down, passes it down low, draws a foul and with BH students waving calmly converts both FTs.  71-71, 36.82 seconds.  Then both teams attempted to give it away by turning the ball over with getting a shot.  Barbers Hill then brought the ball to midcourt and called timeout.  Ybarra then hits the buzzer beater for Barbers Hill's first playoff victory in Class 4A competition. 

Bmt. Central  15  17  16  23  71

Barbers Hill  18  17  20  18  73

BH: Brooks Ybarra 35, Jon Daniels 14

BH 21-10

Guest DickVitale

Did you actually READ my post?