How much is Lamar willing to pay the man hired to start our football program?

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

This may give us some indication per PA News sports editor Bob West......

South Alabama, which recently announced it would start a football program in 2009, hired its first coach the other day. That’s noteworthy here, because Lamar is about to start football and because of what South Alabama is going to pay Joey Jones, who was previously the head coach at Birmingham Southern. According to the Mobile Press Register, Jones’ salary will be $275,000. I’d be shocked if Lamar is willing to go anywhere near that high for the coach it’s going to name later this year, but you have to hope it doesn’t try to get by on the cheap. The quickest way to assure failure is to go searching in the bargain basement bin for a head coach. South Alabama has more students (13,045 enrollment) and plays in a Sun Belt Conference that’s a couple of notches above the Southland, but keep Jones’ salary in mind when Lamar makes its hire. You can bet I will.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_047202022.html

Guest abovetherim

Okay, I'll go on record to say LU will pay as much as $250,000 annually for our football coach. Remember, Texas does not have a state tax. For example Bob West mentioned South Alabama's Coach Jones salary of $275,000. Well, they have a state tax......

Alabama collects a state income tax, with rates of 2 percent, 4 percent and 5 percent. In addition to a state sales tax, counties and cities are allowed to collect taxes on purchases made in their jurisdictions.

http://www.bankrate.com/yho/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Ala.asp

If they can get a "name" (retread, past prime)to help get this program started I'll say $450k.  The splash of a "name" would be all over the sports news sites.  Recruits are attracted to names.  I believe Tubbs has some good connections willing to help out for a year or two probably better than a South Alabama.

If they can get a "name" (retread, past prime)to help get this program started I'll say $450k.  The splash of a "name" would be all over the sports news sites.  Recruits are attracted to names.  I believe Tubbs has some good connections willing to help out for a year or two probably better than a South Alabama.

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer is helping in the search.

Heard that as well.  I can't see some of the big name donors wanting to just pour millions into something that doesn't create any buzz.

Heard that as well.  I can't see some of the big name donors wanting to just pour millions into something that doesn't create any buzz.

I agree! Name will have to make a big BUZZ!!!!!!!!!

Why not hire a great H.S. coach to start the program? Sombody like Barbay, Valastro, Evans?

Because HS football is TOTALLY different from College football. Those guys would be BAD for the HC job in my opinion. (Not saying they aren't good coaches, just not good coaches for a 1st year college program.)

No HS coach in this area has the ability to get the program started.  This can't be just a local thing.  While it will be great to grab some local talent it has to be able to get those special players located in the Houstons and DFWs as well.  HS coaches unless it is a Todd Dodge are only viewed great by their local/communities.  No disrespect to any local coaches but no recruit in DFW has ever heard of say a Coach Barber, but if you want to talk Jasper and Newton counties then it is a different story.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83