***********IT PASSES, FOOTBALL IS COMING!!!!!!!****************

Guest abovetherim

It's an opinion Westendfirst, there will be names thrown out by everyone. Really do you see Switzer coaching at Lamar? I don't but I would seek to obtain some knowledge of the college game from a man who won a couple of national championships at OU. Now, I hate the Sooners and yes there were off the field issues with the program while he was coaching there. However, the man was a great recruiter, he knows the game of football whether you or I want to give him credit or not. He at least knows more than anyone currently employed in Lamar's athletic department.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I have said, another joke just like the Wildcatters....Money wasted...... ::)

It's football man!

Yes, I remember the 70s and 80s and the empty seats at Lamar. By 2012, the seats will be empty once again....

Who cares if it only draws 1,000 fans???  Those 1,000 fans will be able to create some great memories!!!  It's about the university, and the students, and the kids that play football and the kids that will be cheerleaders, and members of the band.  I mean, I would much prefer that it draw 50,000 but that's not really what it's all about.  You just don't get it AT ALL.

Why are their college soccer teams?  Or college swimming teams?  Or women's softball teams?  I had a professor at my alma mater (LAMAR UNIVERSITY) tell me once "don't let the books get in the way of your education".  That guy knew what he was talking about.  I mean, we are there to get a good education and earn a degree but there is more to it than going to sit in a classroom, taking notes, and taking tests.  That's not all it's about...or that's not all it should be about.  When you were at those LU games with no fans I know there were some fans there for sure.  Me and my fraternity buds went to every home game and most of the road games.  We had a BLAST!  We really didn't care if we won or lost and we really didn't care if anyone else was in the stands.  We had a great time and made some great memories.  Plus, what about the life lessons the players on the field are learning?  What about the life lessons the band members are learning.  Get a grip.  It's not all about how it affects your own pocketbook.  And realize that even WITH the WHOPPING $8 per semester hour LU still has one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, tuitions in the state....probably in the country.

Like I have said, another joke just like the Wildcatters....Money wasted...... ::)

It's football man!

Yes, I remember the 70s and 80s and the empty seats at Lamar. By 2012, the seats will be empty once again....

Who cares if it only draws 1,000 fans???  Those 1,000 fans will be able to create some great memories!!!  It's about the university, and the students, and the kids that play football and the kids that will be cheerleaders, and members of the band.  I mean, I would much prefer that it draw 50,000 but that's not really what it's all about.  You just don't get it AT ALL.

Why are their college soccer teams?  Or college swimming teams?  Or women's softball teams?  I had a professor at my alma mater (LAMAR UNIVERSITY) tell me once "don't let the books get in the way of your education".  That guy knew what he was talking about.  I mean, we are there to get a good education and earn a degree but there is more to it than going to sit in a classroom, taking notes, and taking tests.  That's not all it's about...or that's not all it should be about.  When you were at those LU games with no fans I know there were some fans there for sure.  Me and my fraternity buds went to every home game and most of the road games.  We had a BLAST!  We really didn't care if we won or lost and we really didn't care if anyone else was in the stands.  We had a great time and made some great memories.  Plus, what about the life lessons the players on the field are learning?  What about the life lessons the band members are learning.  Get a grip.  It's not all about how it affects your own pocketbook.  And realize that even WITH the WHOPPING $8 per semester hour LU still has one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest, tuitions in the state....probably in the country.

i have to agree

Very good post.  Exactly right.

I saw in the PA News that there was this one guy that one time went to one Lamar Football game all the while stealing time away from his family and sat by himself in section c feeling sorry for the guys playing for having no fan support back in the 50's.  (this sounds familiar from the PA News editorials)

As I read it two thoughts came to mind.  First, what if you substituted the word Lamar Football with any other Lamar sport.  The '89 Lamar season average attendance was a mere 5999.  You don't hear the clamering from the PA News to kill any other Lamar sport because their attendance is below 5999.  And this guy would surely be stealing time away from his family to attend these games as well.  ??  This leads me into my second thought.  Why the daggers for football from these types.  These are not commercial endeavours.

The guy that one time went to one football game didn't realize the guys he was feeling sorry for were playing a game they loved to play whether or not he had ever showed up.

Guest abovetherim

Smith, I read the article and the last comment really stuck out to me.....

I’m skeptical.  I’m not so sure Lamar University or Southeast Texas needs a football program at Lamar, or that student support will gel around Lamar football.  But events are headed that way, and if we are to have a football program, lets hope it is done right — or not at all.  Fans today are knowledgeable about football, and critical of anything they see as. .. . well, ordinary.

He hit the nail on the head here. Ordinary, that is the word I'd use to label his commentary.

I just sent him a nice little email.

Here is what I sent.

Gene,

You are right, the problem is with people like you who are closed minded and do not see how the times have changed. I don't know if you have walked on campus and have seen the changes that have been made. Lamar is not as it once was. We now have 4 full phases of dorms on campus with a bunch of apartments around the school meaning that there are more students living on campus than ever before. You are also forgetting that we lost about 8 mil a year in funding from the state after football was canceled. Why because about 2,000 students left LU and those were not all football players. The students at LU today want a better campus life, they want more things do do, and more importantly it was there decision to make not yours. They are gong to be completely footing the bill for this en devour not you. Remember LU will not only be adding football, but a marching band, girls soccer, girls softball, a drill team, cheerleaders, and another new girls sport. All of those things will add more scholarships making it easier for some to go to college that may not have been able to without the help. So I say to you, look at the full picture, not through your black and white glasses. Things change just maybe not you.

Guest coachacola

I also agree with what everyone is saying here.  Even in 1989 when Lamar only average 5999 fans, that's still more fans than what 50 FCS schools average today.  That's over 40% of the schools who play FCS football.  In the SLC both SELA and Nicholls State average less than 6K fans per game.  Should all these schools drop their football programs?

I have a document with Lamar's enrollment numbers from 1950 until today.  In the 1950s when this guy attended his one game, Lamar had just transitioned from a being a JUCO school.  Lamar's enrollment went from 1,030 to 5,848 in the 1950's.  Lamar is a completely different school today.  Enrollment is near the all-time high and it's only going to keep going up.  SETX has more people and more money than ever before too.

I've noticed that the PA News has been pretty quiet regarding football returning to Lamar.  There's only been a few articles, and they seem to be more negative that positive.  And Bob West, who has an opinion about everything, barely mentions it in his articles.  Does any have any insight on why this is?

It's an opinion Westendfirst, there will be names thrown out by everyone. Really do you see Switzer coaching at Lamar? I don't but I would seek to obtain some knowledge of the college game from a man who won a couple of national championships at OU. Now, I hate the Sooners and yes there were off the field issues with the program while he was coaching there. However, the man was a great recruiter, he knows the game of football whether you or I want to give him credit or not. He at least knows more than anyone currently employed in Lamar's athletic department.

I CANNOT give an objective opinion on the subject of Barry Switzer.  I just cannot stomach the guy at all.  He disgusts me so much that I'm trying to figure out some other reasons why or how he could have possibly been so successful.  Maybe he had great assistant coaches.    :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder