Barbers Hill's Price One Of The Finalists For Lake Travis Job

Lake Travis' List Down to Eight

Kinne among Lake Travis coaching applicants

By Danny Davis

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The pool of candidates for the head football coaching position at Lake Travis appears to be shallow.

An official confirmed Tuesday that only eight applications were fully completed and on file with the school district's human resources department. All of the applications were submitted electronically, said Marco Alvarado, director of communications for Lake Travis ISD. However, it's also possible that Lake Travis athletic director Jack Moss may have received applications, Alvarado said.

Moss was out of his office Tuesday afternoon and isn't expected back until later this week. It has been reported that Moss hopes to begin interviewing candidates as soon as next Tuesday.

"Right now, I don't have a lot to report or say, other than we are working through the process and hopefully within a few days ... we have this completed," Moss said in a voice mail left to the American-Statesman Tuesday morning.

Two other recent head coaching vacancies in Central Texas generated a large number of applicants — 137 for Bastrop and 65 for Ellison. Lake Travis, however, is requiring five years of coaching experience as well as three years with a successful head coaching record at a Class 5A or 4A school. The school also wants candidates to be familiar with running the spread offense.

Among the eight known applicants is former Canton head coach Gary Kinne — the 2005 Adams USA national coach of the year — who spent last season as Baylor's linebackers coach, and Westlake offensive coordinator.

Also among the applicants is Les Hamilton of Alta High in Sandy, Utah. Hamilton, who has guided his teams to state championship games in three of the last five years, acknowledged his interest in Lake Travis but said he has not yet been contacted by the Cavaliers.

Others who have applied are Luther Justus, the head coach of Forest Hill High in West Palm Beach, Fla.; Plano West assistant Kelly Mercer; Barbers Hill head coach Don Price; Lancing (N.Y.) Central head coach Edward Redmond; and Springtown coach Bradley Turner.

The coaching job became vacant when Jeff Dicus left Lake Travis this month to become head coach at Duncanville. In five seasons at Lake Travis, Dicus went 45-15 and led the Cavaliers to the Class 4A Division II state championship this past season.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever gets hired will be under the gun QUICKLY!

If they don't win it all again this season, the season will be seen as a failure.

Not much margin for error.

Although the $$$ will be HUGE, so will the pressure to win with kids that are 16 to 18 years old.

I would hate to be the coach if their star player had his girlfriend break up with him on the day of a playoff game and his head just isn't into the game.

These coaches are asked to win with kids that have lives and who knows what these kids have going on around them.

This is not an excuse for losing just a statement of fact.

Whoever gets that job might have a very tight noose around his neck on day 1.

Whoever gets hired will be under the gun QUICKLY!

If they don't win it all again this season, the season will be seen as a failure.

Not much margin for error.

Although the $$$ will be HUGE, so will the pressure to win with kids that are 16 to 18 years old.

I would hate to be the coach if their star player had his girlfriend break up with him on the day of a playoff game and his head just isn't into the game.

These coaches are asked to win with kids that have lives and who knows what these kids have going on around them.

This is not an excuse for losing just a statement of fact.

Whoever gets that job might have a very tight noose around his neck on day 1.

For sure....

Thing to consider also is that Coach Price has enough time in now and could retire and do the rehire anywhere. With his kids out of college and Ms. Price with a law degree pretty well go anywhere he wants. Coach Price does not get near the credit he deserves and hope him the best. A good man, friend and heck of a Coach.

same kind of money. 

lake travis: tax base = 4.8 billion or 863,000/student

barbers hill: t.b. = 2.87 billion or 811,000/student

teachers pay: which will help determine AD pay:

LT - 0 yrs = 39,000      BH = 43,658

10 = 45,100                    = 47,572

15 = 48,150                    = 50,322

20 = 51,200                    = 53,347

34(top out) = 59,740    33(top out) = 61,758

i am really board!

Took the BH ( Price )  bashers long enought to respond to this.  The people who know anything about sports and athlete's know what type of job Price has done at BH.  As etbu said earlier,  great man and a great coach. 

bh89-2 and BHFAN you guys are not very smart. You guys want change? What kind of change? Do you want the Barbers Hill Athletic Systemt to go to CRAP! That's the only thing could happen if you want change! I've been around BH Athletics my whole entire life, born here and raising my family here now. There's no other place I would rather live and my kids to attend school. They have the greatest school sytem and athletic system. We have the greatest teachers and coaches working here.

Never in my life-time have I seen the Barbers Hill Athletic System succeed arcoss the board like it has the past 10 years. We compete at high level in every sport from football to tennis to golf to baseball to volleyball to cross-country to track to basketball (both teams). Do I need to keep on going. We need change huh? Fire him I say, get rid of him (Price) I say - bh89-2 and BH FAN you guys are idiots! Does Coach Price deserve all the credit? Heck no! The credit goes to him (Price), Super. back to Sonnenberg to Roten to Poole, to the HS Principals (Hughes, Haynie and Holland)..... For hiring great Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches and great teachers! Again you guys are idiots! Did you all even play sports? Or you guys the type of people that play the Monday Morning QB Role - "Would of, Should of, Could Of"

Let's see - lets make a change - Hire someone who doesn't care about certain sports. Let them kill the program. That's what you guys obliviously want.

My boys loved playing for Barbers Hill. They've played for Coach Hope, Coach Skidmore, Coach McGallion and Coach Price. (If you're wondering I have 4 boys - oldest being 40 and the youngest being 25). Coach Skidmore and Price were the two best things that happen to BH in a long time for sports and for boys being around good Christian Men. BH was terrible across the board before they got here. Yeah, girls basketball won state but wait a minute....That's the sport they could play back in the 80's and early 90's. Other than track. Now we've started softball (state tournament appearance) and volleyball (state tournament apperance).  So don't tell me we should get rid of people and make changes. Or we need fresh ideas.....The only fresh idea is that you guys need to move if you don't like it here at BARBERS HILL ISD.

bh89-2 and BHFAN you guys are not very smart. You guys want change? What kind of change? Do you want the Barbers Hill Athletic Systemt to go to CRAP! That's the only thing could happen if you want change! I've been around BH Athletics my whole entire life, born here and raising my family here now. There's no other place I would rather live and my kids to attend school. They have the greatest school sytem and athletic system. We have the greatest teachers and coaches working here.

Never in my life-time have I seen the Barbers Hill Athletic System succeed arcoss the board like it has the past 10 years. We compete at high level in every sport from football to tennis to golf to baseball to volleyball to cross-country to track to basketball (both teams). Do I need to keep on going. We need change huh? Fire him I say, get rid of him (Price) I say - bh89-2 and BH FAN you guys are idiots! Does Coach Price deserve all the credit? Heck no! The credit goes to him (Price), Super. back to Sonnenberg to Roten to Poole, to the HS Principals (Hughes, Haynie and Holland)..... For hiring great Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches and great teachers! Again you guys are idiots! Did you all even play sports? Or you guys the type of people that play the Monday Morning QB Role - "Would of, Should of, Could Of"

Let's see - lets make a change - Hire someone who doesn't care about certain sports. Let them kill the program. That's what you guys obliviously want.

My boys loved playing for Barbers Hill. They've played for Coach Hope, Coach Skidmore, Coach McGallion and Coach Price. (If you're wondering I have 4 boys - oldest being 40 and the youngest being 25). Coach Skidmore and Price were the two best things that happen to BH in a long time for sports and for boys being around good Christian Men. BH was terrible across the board before they got here. Yeah, girls basketball won state but wait a minute....That's the sport they could play back in the 80's and early 90's. Other than track. Now we've started softball (state tournament appearance) and volleyball (state tournament apperance).  So don't tell me we should get rid of people and make changes. Or we need fresh ideas.....The only fresh idea is that you guys need to move if you don't like it here at BARBERS HILL ISD.

I have also lived her my whole life and I am not doubting the Management accomplishments price has had (overall sport success, enhancing facilities, etc), it is his personality and lack of ability to coach football that I don't like.  Personally i don't care if he is Jesus Christ, he still has not taken good a good football team and done anythign with them.  If he hired a Head Football coach and stayed off the football field, I say give him a raise.  If he is going to coach football, I say do it elsewhere.  From one idiot to another.

Not knocking down Barbers Hill or anything (this thread is turning too negative).

But having seen what Barbers Hill has by watching all the dayton junior high games over the last 6 years....

The team they had two years ago was by far the best talented team Price has had to work with...

For all the BH fans that were pumped when they were not put in the Beaumont district...

By being in 21-4A you played much much weaker teams, the result was that highly talented team was knocked out in the first round by Central.

Had Barbers Hill been in 22-4A and Dayton in 21-4A it would have been a sure bet the three playoff teams would have been Central, BH, and Nederland (in no particular order).  BH would have had a much better team going into the playoffs due to playing against higher caliber teams.

That first round loss to Central should not be totally blamed on Price's coaching skills.

It is a fact that after playing in a district with weaker teams it is a huge disadvantage.

Three years ago when Dayton was knocked out by Ozen it was the same case.

Barbers Hill's 7th and 8th grade athletes are solid, but they don't have loads of talent in the 9th 10th and 11th grades (Dayton just really crushed those grade levels in junior high), but the 7th and 8th grade teams have been very competitive (the 8th grade bunch in BKB is just AWEsome).

Unfortunately for Price it will be three more years until those kids have an impact on varsity.

Being at 4A your talent level will go in cycles.

It is hard to keep the talent level sky high forever with the numbers that exist in 4A.

The BH people should not be bashing him for not succeeding as much.

I believe Price is doing the best he can with what he has.

PURPLE 4 EVER your thoughts are right on the money.  But it isn't the BH people bash BH and Price.  It is the stooges minus there other counter-part.  Heck, I bet the kids at BH look at this as an attack on them.  I can only imagine who these two guys blame when their kids don't succeed in anything.  Most likely blame theie kids teachers, coaches , friends , etc........... never do point the finger at the kids.  Last time I played, the players have responsiblity in everything they do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83