20-4a district standings (02/01)

emac08

So in the game of Nederland and LCM

LCM gets 3 + 2 (win plus 2 for the shootout)

Nederland get 1 (for going into OT)

No.  LCM gets 2 points total for winning the shoot out, and Nederland gets 1 point.  The coaches agreed that this system rewards a team more for winning during the run of play.

after feb. 1st

lumberton-15

vidor-13

png-12

lcm-11

nederland-10

central-10

ozen-3

silsbee-3

hj-1

wos-0

i'm going to assume your getting vidor's 1 extra point from the OT loss to lumberton? Question. the max points awarded for a game are 3. Lumberton gets 3 points for the OT win. I dont believe vidor gets any, Making them have 12? Right? If not please correct me because i am not totally savy with the revisions made to this years score system

after feb. 1st

lumberton-15

vidor-13

png-12

lcm-11

nederland-10

central-10

ozen-3

silsbee-3

hj-1

wos-0

i'm going to assume your getting vidor's 1 extra point from the OT loss to lumberton? Question. the max points awarded for a game are 3. Lumberton gets 3 points for the OT win. I dont believe vidor gets any, Making them have 12? Right? If not please correct me because i am not totally savy with the revisions made to this years score system

Regulation or OT win = 3 points

Shoot out win = 2 points

Shoot out or OT loss = 1 point

So this means a game won in overtime would result in 4 points for the night, 3 to the winner and 1 to the loser...Correct?

Yes... And I know that doesn't make much sense, but the coaches figured there were 6 to 7 teams with a legitimate shot at the playoffs.  We also thought there might not be much difference in teams #3 thru 6.  We wanted to create a system that would separate teams as best we could. 

My opinion is that ties in the standings should be settled on the field with a post district game or tournament like it was done years ago.  This was not an option for us, however, because of the ten team district.  The UIL sets the date that you can start playing games, and also sets the date when each district must name their playoff representatives. We have to play 18 games.  That put us playing through Spring Break (which most coaches don't like) and only left us time for one tournament before the district certification date. 

The coaches also considered splitting the district into zones to allow more time for another tournament and then also have a district tournament to determine the playoff teams.  This was shot down for a variety of reasons like who would be in which zone, how many teams would make the district tournament, and how the tournament would be set up. 

Anyway, back to the topic.  Here was our thought process:  A win during regulation should be three points.  An OT win should be three points also because the game was decided during the run of play - just a little longer than it should have been.  Last year we split the points (2 for the winner and 1 for the loser) for any game that went past regulation.  We decided that this punished the winning team a little too much, but we still wanted to reward the losing team for lasting past regulation.  And finally, we decided that we'd split the points after a shoot out because we agreed that there's a difference between scoring while playing soccer and scoring 1 on 1 with a keeper.

Many districts don't play OT or go to a shoot out and just give each team a point like the professional leagues for ties at the end of regulation.  I think this is a little crazy for a couple of reasons.  Number one, it could cause a massive logjam in the standings.  Number two, and most importantly, several playoff games are decided in OT or shootouts every year, so a little practice would be good to prepare you for that situation.

Sorry this turned into a ginormous essay.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124