Whats up in Warren

To address an earlier post, I don't think that point guard is the problem. He is quick and capable of moving the ball to Sims, Andrews, and other positions.  The real problem has been the inability of the entire team to handle smothering presses, something that this team has been well coached on and should be good at. When a press is put on, it is common knowledge that the point guard is not going to blow past 2 and 3 defenders, but must make the pass to a cutter or drop down teammate, who then accepts the responsibility from the point to make the secondary pass, possibly even a third pass to split the defense quickly before pressing defenders return to position.  THIS IS NOT HAPPENING !!!!  Whether its the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pass, turnovers are being committed, and thus denying Paul Sims and Matt Andrews from taking their shots.  This is the area where the whole team has got to make a committment to step up, and play the game they are capable of.  One other area that I hate to even mention is the officiating crews continuing to allow handchecking, bumps,hacks, pushes, etc. by the pressing teams.  This forces the offensive team to have to make further adjustments to accomodate the forgiving of those FOULS that are not called.  My apologies to the very few crews that make these calls.  Nuff said !!!! I still think Warren can be a playoff team, but its up to them.  They have the coaching and the talent.  We'll See. 

If the Warren players can play nearly 1.5 qtrs without a coach and beat Spurger at Spurgers house, then it seems to me that they have a winning attitude and desire that should carry them far. I think I read where they were around 12-15 points down when the coaches were shown the door. They basically thus came back on their own. Shows real desire to me.

As far as the ref's comment you made, the whole team (players, coaches & fans) must to adjust to what the ref's are calling or not calling. Just one of those things that a nonphysical team will need to work on to over come. if they (Warren) can overcome playing without a coach, they then should be able to bow up and play a more physical game. The problem most feel about the ref's is that the calls are not made at each end of the floor. I agree, nuff said.

They can be a playoff team. I wish them luck!

it looks like it's getting bad whats wrong with Paul Sims, and Matt Andrews they are suppose 2 be 2 of the best in SETX whats wrong  :'(

I don't think the sky is falling in Warren.Sims is averaging about 20 a game(19.8) and Andrews about 13.The team just didn't get in the gym over the holidays and it showed.They played a game on 12/14/07  then didn't play again until the Spurger tourney on 12/27/07.They attempted to have a couple of practices but had several kids out of town.They played Liberty on Weds. 1/2/08 and Anahuac on 1/4/08 while still having only 1 practice on 1/3/08.It's hard to stay sharp with 1 practice from December 14 thru January 4th.The only thing that concerned me in Warren's losses last week were the lack of field goal attempts from Sims and Andrews in the second half of each game.Sims had 17 pts against Liberty but shot the ball only 3 times in the 2nd half.Andrews had 4 pts and shot it 3 times in the 2nd half.Against Anahuac Sims had 13 in the first half and didn't shoot it at all in the 3rd taking 3 shots in the 4th.Andrews had 8pts shooting it 3 times in the 2nd half.These 2 kids can fill it up when they get the opportunity.I've seen these kids cut a 20 pt deficit to 2 with 4 players against Brookeland and beat a very good Spurger club without there coach coming back from being down 15.I've had the pleasure of coaching these kids in tournaments and in leauges and the one thing I've never seen them do is quit.I don't know who will make the playoffs in this district but don't bury these guys just yet because when they get it together they can play some pretty good basketball.

Warfan what game were u saying waren was ahead when the point guard fouled out??? im assuming you were talking about the anahuac game and unless he fouled out in the 1st quarter they were not ahead when he fouled out.... from what ive seen the team only gets better when he fouls out, he just better be glad that andrews or blackshear isnt a little bit bigger....... and as to BWcoach he is very quick and capable but one or 2 mistakes and he loses his head, he just needs to learn to reverse te ball...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83