FRI. MAY 6TH- UTRGV- 9 LAMAR BASEBALL- 5 FINAL

KF89

• KF89 changed the title to FRI. MAY 6TH- UTRGV- 9 LAMAR BASEBALL- 5 FINAL

UTRGV and ACU are pretty good. ACU beat Texas Tech and TCU a couple of weeks ago. UTRGV has probably best Friday night pitcher in the WAC and has some really good hitters, one a graduate transfer from Mississippi St. They also have a couple quality wins over bigger schools this year. Problem is nobody in WAC except Grand Canyon has been consistent. Welcome to college baseball.

17 hours ago, spidersal said:

I understand your point, however Lamar has never played well vs UTRGV and ACU, not just this year. Also note that they are 2-7 this season in conference series finals with the 2 wins vs cellar dweller SFA. That tells me that pitching depth is a major issue

Speaking of pitching I did a little research.

Our two main starters Wheaton and Douthit have started 23 of the 48 games this year and are the top two as far as innings pitched. Only two other pitchers have started more than 5 games this season (Ekness and Morse).

The pitcher with the third most innings pitched is reliever Jack Dallas.

Our overall ERA is about 4.31 but runs allowed per game is closer to 5.5.  This reflects all the errors I have constantly mentioned. The defense is putting extra strain on an already thin staff.

When you get to these tournaments you will be in a ton of innings over a day or two.  With so few pitchers that have been depended on it's tough to see making a deep run in the tournament.

I get you on this. The 1st 2 starters and Dallas are not the problem. No depth plus errors, you are certainly correct on this. So where is the coaching to fix these errors?  With basically 3 pitchers they will not last long in the tournament  Again my point can’t be successful under Davis reign

On 5/9/2022 at 7:01 PM, spidersal said:

I understand your point, however Lamar has never played well vs UTRGV and ACU, not just this year. Also note that they are 2-7 this season in conference series finals with the 2 wins vs cellar dweller SFA. That tells me that pitching depth is a major issue

Lamar has 19 pitchers on the roster, all have the potential to be effective, all recruited by this coaching staff based on the potential the pitching coach would make them better. IMO plenty of depth, are they not being developed or used by the coaching staff properly or does the coaching staff not trust the players they put on the team to pitch?  Guys need to throw in games to get better & gain exp. is this not happening?  What happened to the amazing pitching coach that was hired from the mid-west a few years back that was supposed to produce deep, quality pitching staffs & be the key strength of Lamar program? Kudos to the players & the 3 pitchers carrying the bulk of the work load they have actually put together a decent regular season, maybe they can get on a positive roll in the conference tournament, win some games & make davis look like a good head coach.  

19 pitchers on the roster. I would say 16 are either not very good or as you said they are not being utilized enough and I would certainly say that the pitching coach or coaches are not doing a very good job. What about the poor defense with all of these errors, who is coaching them?  I would say whoever it is, is not doing a very good job, especially after 40plus games