WO-S Bond Election Tuesday/Results Here Tonight!!/Turf or No Turf

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is upsetting about the issue is that "people won't vote for athletics" (paraphrased) when it's the FOOTBALL team that has helped the school more than any other organization.  The football team brings in more money than other sports, other functions, yet the money goes into a general fund and is budgeted menially to the football program.  I understand that there are a lot of powers that be that did not want the new turf because they do not feel that it has anything to do with education.  There are a lot of students who have furthered their education through the extra-curricular activities provided by and as a result of the football program at WOS. (Support groups, players, and the funding of other sports in the "general" fund)  It's just a shame that when the football program asks for something....they are last on the list or not at all.

77, you are right but the point is those same people would have voted it in for guys in a flash.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you say that? Do you think this was voted down because we are more than 50% black? If that's what you think then you really don't know the same white people I know and I know you don't know the kind of person I am.

Again, if what you said was true and it's not (imo) then all the black population had to do was get out and vote.

77, if you are referring to why I brought up the other schools in the county, that was just to show how supportive that other schools and there communities had come together and worked out a way to better there sports facilities.  There was definately nothing intended in the comment.  If you read the second sentence of the head of the board, that pretty much sums up his stand on athletics, "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN."  I really don't think that hb or a few others reside in that buiding from time to time would even care if they did away with athletics all together.  However, at the end of the day they have to ask themselves, what is ONLY thing that has SUCCESS, and sheds a POSITIVE light on WOCCISD.  The answer is ATHLETICS, and especially FOOTBALL.  Both of which are run by the guy who has been there longer than hb and any other person that works in that main building, and that is Dan R. Hooks.  There is absolutely NEVER one thing that has been given to the athletic programs at WOS without somekind of fight, and that is a shame.  Congrats to Coach Hooks and Staff, yall are truly the Rodney Dangerfields of Orange Texas. THE WOS MUSTANGS, THE WINNINGEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE STATE OF TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77, if you are referring to why I brought up the other schools in the county, that was just to show how supportive that other schools and there communities had come together and worked out a way to better there sports facilities.  There was definately nothing intended in the comment.  If you read the second sentence of the head of the board, that pretty much sums up his stand on athletics, "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN."  I really don't think that hb or a few others reside in that buiding from time to time would even care if they did away with athletics all together.  However, at the end of the day they have to ask themselves, what is ONLY thing that has SUCCESS, and sheds a POSITIVE light on WOCCISD.  The answer is ATHLETICS, and especially FOOTBALL.  Both of which are run by the guy who has been there longer than hb and any other person that works in that main building, and that is Dan R. Hooks.  There is absolutely NEVER one thing that has been given to the athletic programs at WOS without somekind of fight, and that is a shame.  Congrats to Coach Hooks and Staff, yall are truly the Rodney Dangerfields of Orange Texas. THE WOS MUSTANGS, THE WINNINGEST FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE STATE OF TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think what he meant was they weren't going to sneak it in. I don't think it would be legal for them to spend the money on the football field now. Agree or disagree, the people have spoken and they do not want to pay for turf on the field. They shouldn't spend the money from prop 1 on the turf. Prop 1 was voted in as it was presented. Unfortunately prop 2 didn't pass.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would you say that? Do you think this was voted down because we are more than 50% black? If that's what you think then you really don't know the same white people I know and I know you don't know the kind of person I am.

Again, if what you said was true and it's not (imo) then all the black population had to do was get out and vote.

All of the black people could have gone out and voted and it still wouldn't have made any difference if the majority of white people vote no. I can bet you that of the 700 some odd people that voted no to this, probably 90% where white and if you believe otherwise then your in denial...which most of america seems to be anyway. I brought Lcm up 77 to prove a point. They got a new scoreboard donated by businesses in Orange which is comprised of orange voters and they haven't won anything on the field and them having a scoreboard doesn't have anything to do with education either. Those same people who donated this to them probablyare the same people who voted no to this proposition because they want to use the excuse of it isn't education related. If they are so fair and they don't care about race, then why didn't they donate it to Wo-s? don't tell me it's not a racial issue...I just gave you proof that it is. I just showed you the double standard that was used and using the excuse that it wasn't education related just isn't going to fly when you don't have a problem giving something to another school when it's not education related. maybe alot of white people haven't moved to Lcm because their houses are paid for here, but it sure hasn't stopped them from supporting Lcm as opposed to Wo-s...the proof is in the pudding.

Mr. Barclay i understand your post but there has to be a way to get the Field Turf, these kids deserve it. I know a few people that are trying to get a hold of Kevin Smith and maybe he can do it.

Well tell them to call John patterson who played baseball for Wo-s and I think is still playing major league baseball. I know he didn't play football, but he's a Wo-s allum. Any Wo-s allum who has made it should be called and should be happy to help the school that helped get them their start.

All of the black people could have gone out and voted and it still wouldn't have made any difference if the majority of white people vote no. I can bet you that of the 700 some odd people that voted no to this, probably 90% where white and if you believe otherwise then your in denial...which most of america seems to be anyway. I brought Lcm up 77 to prove a point. They got a new scoreboard donated by businesses in Orange which is comprised of orange voters and they haven't won anything on the field and them having a scoreboard doesn't have anything to do with education either. Those same people who donated this to them probablyare the same people who voted no to this proposition because they want to use the excuse of it isn't education related. If they are so fair and they don't care about race, then why didn't they donate it to Wo-s? don't tell me it's not a racial issue...I just gave you proof that it is. I just showed you the double standard that was used and using the excuse that it wasn't education related just isn't going to fly when you don't have a problem giving something to another school when it's not education related. maybe alot of white people haven't moved to Lcm because their houses are paid for here, but it sure hasn't stopped them from supporting Lcm as opposed to Wo-s...the proof is in the pudding.

I never said anything about a racial issue, you shouldnt try to put words in my mouth. This has nothing to do with scoreboards or donations this has to do with voting  on a bond issue within WOS school district and the larger voting population voted no. (maybe more people should have exercised thier right to vote)

You are so far off base. The people that donated the scoreboard at LCM either have or had kids that go to school there. Which means that's where they live and they couldn't vote yes or no to our turf. You are making up your own statistics and trying to use them as facts. You can do that but that doesn't make what you are saying the truth.

Just because you have a business in Orange doesn't mean you get to vote here. You vote depends on where you live and those people live in LCM district. That's why they didn't donate it to WOS. So again it's not a racial issue. Get out and vote. So you have given no proof of anything but your opinion. It's still not a racial issue. Not everything has to be about race.

Guest Chaingang Defense

Nobody is off based!!!!!!!! North Orange gets anything they want!!

I brought Lcm up 77 to prove a point. They got a new scoreboard donated by businesses in Orange which is comprised of orange voters and they haven't won anything on the field and them having a scoreboard doesn't have anything to do with education either. Those same people who donated this to them probablyare the same people who voted no to this proposition because they want to use the excuse of it isn't education related.

All i'm trying to say is those folks in Orange that work at plants etc won't do anything for WOS!

Why should men and women that work at those plants do anything for WOS. Some of those people live all over the golden triangle. Your about to have a great new school and renovations to current schools and updates to sports stadiums(per Barclays post) you should be happy,  but instead you complain and try to make it a racial issue. Be thankful for what you've got and don't complain about what you dont have.

Nobody is off based!!!!!!!! North Orange gets anything they want!!

I brought Lcm up 77 to prove a point. They got a new scoreboard donated by businesses in Orange which is comprised of orange voters and they haven't won anything on the field and them having a scoreboard doesn't have anything to do with education either. Those same people who donated this to them probablyare the same people who voted no to this proposition because they want to use the excuse of it isn't education related.

What is your point. It was donated by people that live in LCM school district. What difference does it make that they have a business in Orange? We had our chance to get the turf and we didn't do it. People, white or black didn't get out and vote for it.

I never said anything about a racial issue, you shouldnt try to put words in my mouth. This has nothing to do with scoreboards or donations this has to do with voting  on a bond issue within WOS school district and the larger voting population voted no. (maybe more people should have exercised thier right to vote)

We absolutely agree on that.

You guys obviously do not understand the voting process.  You must live in this school district to have voted on this bond issue.  It has nothing to do with LCM.  

I live in the WOCCISD and I voted on the two bond issues presented.  If you feel strongly about an issue on a ballot or a candidate for an office, get out and vote.  Also, get everyone that you know that is registered in your district, precinct, city, county or state to vote as well.

All i'm trying to say is those folks in Orange that work at plants etc won't do anything for WOS!

I can't believe everyone is pissin and moaning about what other people get. We need to stop waiting on someone to do things for us and take responsibility for our selves. We had the perfect chance to do that and we didn't go vote for it. What have you donated? Man, lets stop whining. It didn't pass.  

I can't believe everyone is pissin and moaning about what other people get. We need to stop waiting on someone to do things for us and take responsibility for our selves. We had the perfect chance to do that and we didn't go vote for it. What have you donated? Man, lets stop whining. It didn't pass.  

TD you've got my vote! The problem with the good ole USA is the fact that everyone wants something for nothing and when its not given to them they pitch a fit.

Guest Chaingang Defense

You know good and well that those plant workers that live in Orange not all of them live in LC. Some folks know the truth and some don't. You sure do like to get involved in WOS conversations all the time.

You know good and well that those plant workers that live in Orange not all of them live in LC. Some folks know the truth and some don't. You sure do like to get involved in WOS conversations all the time.

If you are talking about me it's because I'm a WOS alumni and my kids go to school at WOS. Why in the world do you think the plant workers owe us turf. We just had an opportunity to get it and pay for it ourselves but we didn't want to do that. We want someone to "give" it to us. I really hope you are young and haven't figured out that nothing in life is free. When you get something and you earn it or you pay for it yourself the reward is much greater. Stop sitting around and looking for a handout.

You are so far off base. The people that donated the scoreboard at LCM either have or had kids that go to school there. Which means that's where they live and they couldn't vote yes or no to our turf. You are making up your own statistics and trying to use them as facts. You can do that but that doesn't make what you are saying the truth.

Just because you have a business in Orange doesn't mean you get to vote here. You vote depends on where you live and those people live in LCM district. That's why they didn't donate it to WOS. So again it's not a racial issue. Get out and vote. So you have given no proof of anything but your opinion. It's still not a racial issue. Not everything has to be about race.

For the record, i did get out and vote and I am speaking on fact. You can use any excuse that you want to , but I'm standing by what I said and I don't care whether you or anybody else likes it.

Guest Wos Grad 2000

I'll speak a little on this. No your right the plants don't owe anything. But Coaches have went to the plants before seeing if they would help, and yea you guessed it the answer was no. Someone that knows more on this situation will post soon and then maybe TD you'll understand.

I'll speak a little on this. No your right the plants don't owe anything. But Coaches have went to the plants before seeing if they would help, and yea you guessed it the answer was no. Someone that knows more on this situation will post soon and then maybe TD you'll understand.

Exactly my point. People can stay in denial all they want, but like I said...the proof is in the pudding. Prop 1 barely passed and that had everything to do with education. All I'm saying is, if those same people that voted no and the same thing was presented in front of them for Lcm, it would have passed with flying colors.

TD you've got my vote! The problem with the good ole USA is the fact that everyone wants something for nothing and when its not given to them they pitch a fit.

It's not wanting something for nothing it's wanting to be treated fairly and equally , so until that happens...you will always see "fits pitched" whether you like it or not.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder