Tom Halliburton, How I see him.

pngfan1

Tom has been catching some flack lately, especially from some of my fellow PNG fans. I can understand why, he is fond of Nederland and a reporter is supposed to be neutral.But what I have seen is that once you earn Mr. Halliburtons respect, he gets real eager to write about you. Back in the mid 90's when Nederland was starting to show up as a football team, TH didn't give them the credit they were deserving. I even recall an incindent(some of the older Ned. fans can back me up) where Tom went to a Nederland Pep Rally to present Troy Sumrall an award, and TH was booed because of Neds feeling of a lack of respect.

With this being said, can we as PNG fans expect him to look at us as a major football PROGRAM with just having a real good team every three to four years? He doesn't get real excited over one year wonders.Honestly Nederland does it year in and year out.This does, yes go back to coaching.We have a strong senior group, and a strong freshman group.Count, can you see the pattern?

As for me I still appreciate and respect the articles and coverage Mr. Halliburton gives our local kids.Just my two cents.

The key word here, is "neutral".  Sorry, I can't support a sportswriter who uses negative adjectives to describe a young football player.  If anything, state the positives...no matter if they are from PNG, Ned, Lumberton, or wherever.  The kids, parents, fans, etc. read the newspaper and the way he discredits PNG is going over the line in my book.  Stating stats and such...ok, but don't discredit the kids....they don't deserve it.  As far as earning his respect.....it should be the other way around.....he has to earn OUR respect.  Just my 2 cents.

HA!!!! our defense is like a leaky toilet according to those clowns lol!!!i don't care how bad the "home" team is,the PORT ARTHUR NEWS,NOT NEDERLAND NEWS OR MC NEWS,should report something,beside the negative and cracking jokes.

I agree. when Lincoln was doing good the last years it was open i didnt see anything about them until Friday and Saturday after they beat some poor soul.

I really did not think he was totally out of line in the Hemmings Ned/PNG article. The way it read to me was like he was offering his appreciation for Burnett and Hemmings genuine nice qualities, but just saying that they were gonna get or needed to get mean against Nederland. The whole think seemed more "fun" than serious and a little tongue in cheek playing on the word "like".

The last little paragraph seemed to be slanted in Nederlands favor in a way that would have aggrevated me as a PNG fan, but overall it seemed to be implying that Hemmings is a monster running back and not nice at all on the football field...

BTW, I was at that pep rally a decade ago and we did boo him for his apparent lack of respect for Nederland. At the time we were about at the place in our history that Lumberton currently resides. That is very possibly the next playoff sweetheart that has really yet to earn their wings in the eyes of the media and those in the know on the SE Texas high school football. 

There is no doubt that whether he intends to or not, Toms writing can come off as sounding biased and borderline ignorant a lot of times. However, I really think that he has good intentions and always has.

I really did not think he was totally out of line in the Hemmings Ned/PNG article. The way it read to me was like he was offering his appreciation for Burnett and Hemmings genuine nice qualities, but just saying that they were gonna get or needed to get mean against Nederland. The whole think seemed more "fun" than serious and a little tongue in cheek playing on the word "like".

The last little paragraph seemed to be slanted in Nederlands favor in a way that would have aggrevated me as a PNG fan, but overall it seemed to be implying that Hemmings is a monster running back and not nice at all on the football field...

BTW, I was at that pep rally a decade ago and we did boo him for his apparent lack of respect for Nederland. At the time we were about at the place in our history that Lumberton currently resides. That is very possibly the next playoff sweetheart that has really yet to earn their wings in the eyes of the media and those in the know on the SE Texas high school football. 

There is no doubt that whether he intends to or not, Toms writing can come off as sounding biased and borderline ignorant a lot of times. However, I really think that he has good intentions and always has.

I agree.  Well said.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder