Mathews right man for the job

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats my whole point I dont want to settle..But everyone on here thinks I am the anti christ because I want more then 3 wins  a season..Go look at the "Vidor coaches through the years thread".they want to hang me because I expect more then 1 winning season out of 9 years..

If you settle for that and your community accepts that year in and year out you will never get better.

I agree with you!

Everyone here thinks you are the antichrist, not because you want a winning season for Vidor, but because your witchhunt regarding Mathews is growing tiresome.  80 something posts in the last few days....most spewing your apparently know-it-all attitude regarding what should be done with Mathews.

You say you don't want to bash him, then bash him in your next post.  You say you understand his plight regarding pay then bash him for trying to move to another district.  I agree something different needs to be done...whether his assistants/OC/DC whoever need to leave....but if I felt as strongly as you "supposedly" do, I think I'd be at the next school board meeting voicing my concerns.  Certainly, not on here turning every Vidor thread into a "Let's Fire Jeff Mathews" campaign.

Seriously classless man.

Please keep him! Anywhere else Matthews would be gone. If you cann't win you find another job, except, maybe in Vidor.

I didn't know I had to be from Vidor to post on this thread. I gave my opinion on the subject and I'll stick by it. I'm not mad at Vidor or Mathews. Chances are I have more Black and Gold in my blood than you. Ya'll keep Mathews, fine with me!

I am from Vidor and completly agree with you.  Those that don't will keep be satisfied with losing.  I for one am not.  Great observation BIGMO44!!!

Guest Coach Taylor

I am a retired coach and have kept in contact with alot old friends that still coach.

Most coaches would not even consider working in Vidor.  And there are several reasons.  Go to any track meet and watch.  Speed wins games. Vidor does not win many track meets.  Ask any coach what working at a place like Vidor does for their resume when they apply for other jobs.  Vidor has to deal with alot of issues that other communities do not have to deal with.  I do not know the Vidor Coach, but I do know that former coaches have left Vidor (were asked to leave) went to other schools and won.  Running the same offense and defense that they ran at  Vidor(Boudreaux at Sulpher State Champion.  King at Longview top 5 in 5A Burnett coached at Vidor, Thompson coached at Vidor) Ask then if they would go back and see what they say.  Drop this post and lets focus and do what is best for the the Kids

Those issues as you call them are still haunting Vidor because people that live outside of Vidor cant seem to let them go. Vidor is no different than any other community in this area. The only problem I see that vidor has is outsiders that cant let these issues die because the people of Vidor sure have!

I am a retired coach and have kept in contact with alot old friends that still coach.

Most coaches would not even consider working in Vidor.  And there are several reasons.  Go to any track meet and watch.  Speed wins games. Vidor does not win many track meets.   Ask any coach what working at a place like Vidor does for their resume when they apply for other jobs.  Vidor has to deal with alot of issues that other communities do not have to deal with.  I do not know the Vidor Coach, but I do know that former coaches have left Vidor (were asked to leave) went to other schools and won.  Running the same offense and defense that they ran at  Vidor(Boudreaux at Sulpher State Champion.  King at Longview top 5 in 5A Burnett coached at Vidor, Thompson coached at Vidor) Ask then if they would go back and see what they say.  Drop this post and lets focus and do what is best for the the Kids

I agree with you, somewhat. Thompson turned the Vidor program around and went to TJ. The year he left, Vidor won the district championship under Phil Brown.I believe most folks would tell you that Vidor won because Thompson got them heading the right direction. Vidor can still win, but not under this program (in my opinion). We should keep these threads in perspective. If these post were to be strictly sugar and honey; the whole forum would go away.

I just saw the list..that is embarrassing..Its not a bad living but it doesnt compare to what the other coaches in his district are making.Which  only puts him at a disadvantage when recruiting other coaches to come coach at Vidor and stay there.

Dayton has turf with a whole new stadium seating,PNG is going to get a new field and pressbox.Very dissappointing to see Vidor not attempting to keep up with salaries and facilities

Corey - Compare the tax base in Vidor with the rest of the cities in our district and his salary will make more sense.  You can also compare Administrator/principal salaries and Teacher salaries in Vidor with other districts.  There is pretty big differences across the board.

Corey - Compare the tax base in Vidor with the rest of the cities in our district and his salary will make more sense.  You can also compare Administrator/principal salaries and Teacher salaries in Vidor with other districts.  There is pretty big differences across the board.

your right..The tax base does put it at a disadvantage.

While I agree that it makes sense. The question should be what can we do about it. There is no way for Coach Mathews to hire experienced coaches that know offense for the amount of money we pay. The young ones that show promise if not born and raised in Vidor leave for greener pastures when they get some time under there belt. We have seen this happen time and again at Vidor.

Guest blackflag

I come  on here and offer a free service to Vidor that is based on strictly love of the game and the fans ridicule me. I know how to make teams win and yes I have been an OC at 3 different high schools. One of the schools being a quality 5A program and the other two being respected 4A teams. The truth of the matter is I could not get by the politics in Vidor to get the job even if my wages were nada but I would do it.  Mathews is the right man for HC but if salary issues are keeping him from getting good coaches then I will help for free. If you as a so called pirate fan mock me for simply stating that I would help then your the fans we don't need.

I come  on here and offer a free service to Vidor that is based on strictly love of the game and the fans ridicule me. I know how to make teams win and yes I have been an OC at 3 different high schools. One of the schools being a quality 5A program and the other two being respected 4A teams. The truth of the matter is I could not get by the politics in Vidor to get the job even if my wages were nada but I would do it.  Mathews is the right man for HC but if salary issues are keeping him from getting good coaches then I will help for free. If you as a so called pirate fan mock me for simply stating that I would help then your the fans we don't need.

WOW....then if you are sincere in your offer, why don't you pick up the telephone, call Jeff and make him a man to man offer?

Don't take it personal were just ribing you a little. If your qualifications are what you say they are then I am sure they would be more than willing to listen to your ideas. 

That's the real  problam.(politics)

Guest piratefaithful

Maybe by the end of the year some of you might be believing in what i am trying to say.The author of this article dont live in Vidor,and dont have to watch this kind of play every week.

But i guess since willy wonka,pluto,piratefan and all the other ones on here think he is a good guy then there shouldnt be any changes made.

Lumberton holds Dayton to 7 points..we get 40 put up on us by Dayton.we also get shutout.

I just cant understand it..and the halftime adjustments by the other teams are great..we just go in and get some water and have a rah rah speech..

Maybe by the end of the year some of you might be believing in what i am trying to say.The author of this article dont live in Vidor,and dont have to watch this kind of play every week.

But i guess since willy wonka,pluto,piratefan and all the other ones on here think he is a good guy then there shouldnt be any changes made.

Lumberton holds Dayton to 7 points..we get 40 put up on us by Dayton.we also get shutout.

I just cant understand it..and the halftime adjustments by the other teams are great..we just go in and get some water and have a rah rah speech..

What you just saw is how much different Dayton is with AJ at receiver.  Lumberton did an excellent job containing him at QB, if AJ were at the receiver position, I really think the game would have a different outcome.

As for Vidor, people need to realize that the coaches can not go out and recruit their players, they have what they have and they need to do their best.  A team's talent goes in cycles.  Just ask any Bulldog fan what it was like from 1965 to 1984.  Now Nederland is in a good talent cycle and will be a force for years to come (from what I am reading about their junior high squads).  PN-G had a down time for about a decade in the 80's and 90's, now they are in an up cycle.  Look at Lumberton, they have had little talent for years and years, and now they have a group of kids playing that are just plain AWEsome.  Before Stewart came to Dayton, there was little talent there, Stewart has AWEsome coaches from 7th grade up.  Dayton's junior high teams seldom if ever lose.  The kids go to high school expecting to be winners.  Vidor has a great coach in Mathews, the city needs to stand behind him and start building the football program from junior high up.

As for the game last night, Dayton just had better talent at almost every position.  In the 2nd half you just see the result of this, big plays on offense and a defense that just got more dominating.

The thing is when you don't have a lot of talent you have to adjust to what works best as a team.  You can't teach it, it's a GOD-GIVEN ability, but you can make adjustments to work with what you have.  We are trying to run something that the kids aren't talented enough for.  It's a down year for us and I am saddened by the fact that we can't get a little something going.

Sad thing about this job  :-\. I was never told that a High School Coach had to deal with so much negativity. If I were him, I would leave Vidor at Semester. Someone, somewhere will be more than happy to take a guy that really cares for the kids, works as many hours as he does and is a great guy to be around. It's really sad. I know when I have gone on interviews, I have never had an interview with a parent, but maybe Vidor could start doing that in their application process. I am sure (with the money & tradition that goes with the job) that people will be knocking down the door for the job.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124