What Are The Keys To A Successful HS Football Program?

It all starts with coaching. Look at Dayton before Stewart and Ned before Neuman. Hugh differences after they took over. I think when a program is losing year after year and the coach says we lack talent its a cop out on his part. The talent just didn't show up at the same time these two coaches did. It was there and had to be brought out and utilized in the right places. When other sports at your school are competing for or going to the playoffs (baseball,basketball at Vidor) then maybe the coach has to step back and look at himself and say am I doing all I can to make my sport a contender.

Tradition is a big part of it.  The schools that don't have it do not have that part of the foundation to build on.  Even when Ned and png where bad, they still had the tradition from the old days to fall back on when the right coach came along.

I think that having a coach on the staff who knows how to place their talent field. In other words, Johnny is not an average quarterback but would beter serve the team as a free safety. Bring up the younger kid who can QB and give him an extra year of experience.. .  You have to have someone who not only is able to get the best out of the kids that he can, but recognize which position he is best in, and make that kid believe that he is in the best position.

It starts with good coaching.School board and administration support along with community support next.Once you can start winning, it will snowball.Winning breeds winning.Two good examples are WOS and Nederland.The younger kids can't wait to grow up and be part of the winning.This encourages them to develop a strong work ethic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin