If Lamar had a football team.....

LionHeart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think alot of the kids that aren't big time recruits in the area would play for Lamar in a heartbeat. If you consider the homegrown talent in the golden triangle, there is no way that lamar wouldnt' field an excellent team. Put 'em in the Southland conference with SFA, Sam Houston, McNeese ect. and they could dominate. Too many kids from this area dont' go play college ball for various reasons. I think if Lamar had a football team, alot of those kids would end up being a Cardinal.

Another benefit it would have would be for the smaller schools in the area. Just think of the talent that comes through schools like Newton, EC, BC, HJ,OF, HF, Libery, Anahauc, DWYVL,Warren, HD, WH, Warren,Silsbee, Hardin and on and on. ect. Alot of these kids could play 1-AA ball but never get the chance because lack of recruiting from colleges outside the area. Lamar would have the best backyard recruiting of just about any single college in the nation. Granted the studs are gonna go where they're gonna go, but alot of kids would rather stay local. Beaumont is not an attractive college town for recruits outside of this area, but for local talent, they would land a ton of great players.

Coming out of Hull-Daisetta I was recruited by alot of the Southland conference teams and ended up going to SFA. I wished the whole time I was in HS that Lamar had a football team. I would have loved to play there and I think alot of locals kids now feel the same way.

I think alot of the kids that aren't big time recruits in the area would play for Lamar in a heartbeat. If you consider the homegrown talent in the golden triangle, there is no way that lamar wouldnt' field an excellent team. Put 'em in the Southland conference with SFA, Sam Houston, McNeese ect. and they could dominate. Too many kids from this area dont' go play college ball for various reasons. I think if Lamar had a football team, alot of those kids would end up being a Cardinal.

Another benefit it would have would be for the smaller schools in the area. Just think of the talent that comes through schools like Newton, EC, BC, HJ,OF, HF, Libery, Anahauc, DWYVL,Warren, HD, WH, Warren,Silsbee, Hardin and on and on. ect. Alot of these kids could play 1-AA ball but never get the chance because lack of recruiting from colleges outside the area. Lamar would have the best backyard recruiting of just about any single college in the nation. Granted the studs are gonna go where they're gonna go, but alot of kids would rather stay local. Beaumont is not an attractive college town for recruits outside of this area, but for local talent, they would land a ton of great players.

Coming out of Hull-Daisetta I was recruited by alot of the Southland conference teams and ended up going to SFA. I wished the whole time I was in HS that Lamar had a football team. I would have loved to play there and I think alot of locals kids now feel the same way.

Thats a great way to point it out. Southeast Texas has great talent but only big time players get to go off to college. I think Lamar got its football team lost last time becase they weren't making enough money. But now, who wouldn't bother to go watch a good southeast texas football game at lamar.

I know my son and his friends have said they would want to play for Lamar if they have a team after they graduate.

I went to Lamar in the 80's and in the final stages of the football program not many players came from this area.  My opinion was then as it is now, if they had the program and filled it with area players LU stadium would have been packed with screaming fans.  Our area has such a great history of fan support for their teams.  I can't imagine it not carrying over to the college level as well.

The worst decision in the history of Lamar University was doing away with football.  I am a LU alum, and we have been mislead for years about the return of the cardinal football team.  I know myself and several others have stop sending them money because of all the lies.  Billy Tubbs was supposed to be helping bring that back football.  Instead he has done nothing except promote a very average basketball team. 

P.S. Can LU please recruit players from this area, or even this state, or maybe even this country.  That way you can have some kinda fan base.  There is enough talent in this area to atleast fill out half a basketball roster, as well as a football roster. 

I know my son and his friends have said they would want to play for Lamar if they have a team after they graduate.

I went to Lamar in the 80's and in the final stages of the football program not many players came from this area.  My opinion was then as it is now, if they had the program and filled it with area players LU stadium would have been packed with screaming fans.  Our area has such a great history of fan support for their teams.  I can't imagine it not carrying over to the college level as well.

I graduate in May from Lamar, but I still have 4 yrs. of athletic eligibility left and would take one pushover class a semester to play football for them.

Guest Sangster05

I currently attend LU and part of the problem there is no school spirit I guess would be the best way to put it. Bringing the football program back would go along way in boosting school spirit. It would also make LU a more attractive school to people not from around here.

that would be awsome i would love 2 see them with all the good teams around here lamar would be a good d2 school i mean u got wos silsbe jasper BC newton kirbyville hj png lcm nederland lumbeton dayton. You got all these 3A schools who have tallent like BC Jasper Silsbee Newton HJ Kirbyville who dont get recruited by any college teams the only one who gets recruited is WOS casue they have the best coach in the state

If Lamar had a football team they would never compete in the SLC...no facilities, no fan support, no tradition...

...as much as I would like to see it happen, I don't think they would ever be successful. McNeese is only an hour away, offering kids to play at a school with a winning tradition and is not far from home. They are number 6 in 1AA right now.

Add in SFA, SHSU, and Texas State and you will see that Lamar has a long, long way to go before competing at this level. The tough seasons that would occur as the program starts would be discouraging to SE Texas football fans, we love winning.

lamar had great teams back in the day. just like what was said earlier in the post that alot of good players that dont get looked at by bigger colleges could go there and make an impact on the team. i had a cousin along timeago that actually played for lamar, was an all-american, and ended up playing a few years in the nfl. but that was back in the '60's when the talent field wasnt near as good as it is these days.

Lamar is in fact working toward resurrecting the football team.  The problem is that they have to develop parity in women's sports due to Title IX.  That is why they have a new women's soccer team this year and a new women's softball team is following shortly.

BTW, the last ten+ years of the LU football program had basically no local recruits.  The coaching staff primarily came from California and Florida and those coaches went home to recruit.  Our local players were recruited by other teams in the Southland Conference instead.  We basically lost to our own local kids as a result.  This was a constant complaint held by many Cardinal Club members.  LU football will never be supported by local fans until it seeks out our local talent.  We have too much talent in this area not to have a top program for a University of LU's size. 

that would be awsome i would love 2 see them with all the good teams around here lamar would be a good d2 school i mean u got wos silsbe jasper BC newton kirbyville hj png lcm nederland lumbeton dayton. You got all these 3A schools who have tallent like BC Jasper Silsbee Newton HJ Kirbyville who dont get recruited by any college teams the only one who gets recruited is WOS casue they have the best coach in the state

I vote DAN HOOKS for head coach Lamar football.

(He knows local talent)

lamar sports society, get it going. get local coach,get local players,u get local

fan base. u get local monies,localboosters monies, thats what its all about,local.

school spirit ,local communities,location,location ,location.we need lu football.

ps. new womens bb coach comes in & makes statement in enterprise that they

have no scholarships, but maybe one.  they have 2 all state ballplayers from

lumberton that went to state playoffs 2005 & playoffs again this past yr. these

2 girls could have started on lu team last 2 yrs. central ,ozen,brook,pam, dont

look for scholarships here girls,they ship them in from all over the place even

other nations,but dont have any scholarships to offer,results,no local fan base,

no local booster monies,no local players,no local spirit,no local care. how long have lu sports been blind. local is good (seems like local is good ) :o :o :o :o :o

I did an interview with the former LU AD back in the 90s as a reporter for the Lamar paper, then the Enterprise. College football for LU is a money-losing proposition according to him (Billick), even if they win every regular-season game. He told me, "Even a losing basketball team is less of a financial burden than a winning football team for a smaller school."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83