BCHS steroid use under investigation

Guest Bridge City Card

you all think this is a predicament, I have a five and six year old , what do u think i will be talking about when they're in high school. not that yall's subject is good or n-e thing ,but man what do i have to look forward too?

Now is the time to start talking to them.  Not when they are in High School or even Jr Hi.  This is not just BC's problem, we all have it.  If you think it is not in your school you probably need to pull you head out of .... ...  (excuse me) the sand.

Guest Sports Cards

You can tell very little by reading the article. It does not even mention the school being involved in any part of investigation.

The only reason that we may know that any athlete/former athlete in BC may be involved at all is a tip from "an anonymous BCHS source".  Is the "former" star still a current student or did he graduate? Did the BCPD make the case independently with no knowledge by the district? Was the BCPD tipped off by a school official or anyone in the district? Did the school even know about it until now? You could go on and on but nothing is answered in the article except that the Bridge City PD is doing a drug investigation, the DPS Crime Lab is doing the testing and that Cris Stump will not put up with anything in the future.

Anything else is pure speculation. One posting in this thread said "Sounds to me like BC actually caught the kids doing it, and the kids have been punished". There is no indication that BC(ISD?) has caught anyone doing anything. There is no indication that there has been any punishment. How about this from a post, "I'm not 'happy' that BC got caught" . Caught? The article mentions nothing about anyone being caught. It mentions nothing about any arrest(s). So now we have posts of kids being caught, kids being punished, etc. Where did that information come from? The article? If so, I sure didn't see it.

I think that is why we should tread lightly in this thread even beyond not mentioning names as Coop has stated. Major Hargrave with BCPD said that there is an investigation ongoing and Cris Stump said that abuse of drugs would not be tolerated. Good for them. Other than that, we know nothing and the posts should reflect that.

Actually it's not speculation, it is true. This thing was dealt with a while back, a lot of people know the facts by now........ Bad timing on the Orange Leaders part.

BC only has about 7 or 8 seniors on their team this, and all are of high character. The rest of the team were sophomores last year. Coach Stump has done a good job of making sure these guys grow up through the program knowing steroids won't be tolerated. These young guys have been working hard, and will be a part of one of the cleanest programs in the area.

Actually it's not speculation, it is true. This thing was dealt with a while back, a lot of people know the facts by now........ Bad timing on the Orange Leaders part.

I never said that it was not true. Speculation is to base something on insufficient evidence. It does not mean that something is false. I am sure that there are several people that are on the "inside" and fully aware of what is going on. Until something is released officially and unless someone has direct knowledge, it is nothing more than speculation.

If you read the article there is nothing about anyone being caught or arrested, any school official being involved in an investigation or any punishments. As far as it being old news, according to the BCPD it is at least several months old. That is in the article. I don't see where the timing is bad because it appears to be an ongoing investigation. It will be current news story until it is resolved by either being unfounded or maybe some criminal charges being brought.

[

BC only has about 7 or 8 seniors on their team this, and all are of high character. The rest of the team were sophomores last year. Coach Stump has done a good job of making sure these guys grow up through the program knowing steroids won't be tolerated. These young guys have been working hard, and will be a part of one of the cleanest programs in the area.

[Sport Card... If your post is correct, then I agree with you. There is no reason to publish this story from 4 months ago. I'm sure the student athletes and their familys in BC have been through enough with whatever happened. I understand public awareness by the media, but it appears from local BC postings on this thread that your community has addressed this within the school system.

Because anytime the police are involved, it is a news story. It does not appear to have been handled within the school system or it would not have been in the hands of the police.

I would venture to guess that it was not printed four months ago because it was not publicly revealed at that time. It might be an old story to some people inside of BC but it sure doesn't appear to be old news to the people on this forum.

I am sure that if the news media had the information back then, it would have run with the story. It seems far fetched that the media knew of a drug investigation and sat on the story until the "appropriate" time. What would be the point? I could find it easy to believe that the story was kept quiet until someone felt the need to make it public and tipped off the media. That could be almost anyone.

That's just trying to skew attention from BC's problem. I also think it's pretty close to crossing the "no tolerance" line set up in this thread. I can tell you that I'd have a hard time believing most of the better-known athletes from WO-S have been using in recent years, because, for the most part at least, they are extremely lean. There are a few schools - BC included - where previously wiry kids bulk up like crazy in no time. It's a shame, but don't cast a persecuting eye on other schools just because yours has been busted.

The odd thing is, for having a "steroid ring," BC had a pretty rough year last year.

I certainly didn't get the feeling from the article that BC caught the problem. It sounds to me like they're doing the right things in follow-up, but not that they "cracked down." It's sort of a PR/Damage control thing. That's what I get from it.

Definitely old news..

Ive known this for months, but never wanted to say anything.

It wouldn't have mattered because most of the threads addressing the issue were short-lived.  ::)

Most of the people around here have known about it.  I am really confused about the "timing" of the article that keeps being discussed.  What TIMING?  Timing would have been in April (actually, shortly after the district track meet because this was discussed at the regional track meet in the stands).  I, too, wonder why it wasn't made "public" in the news media until now?

I do as well, but I wonder what effects if any it will have on the upcoming fb season.  Would certain players be banned from the athletics?

Locally when any students (athletes or not) are caught with any illegal substances they are expelled for at least a semester up to a year.

If this comes to light and I am sure it will I hope the punishment fits the wrong doing.  I have 2 kids in the BC school district and so many times I have sit back and watched kids get away with murder in this town.  I just hope this will be the same punishment that it would be for ANY child in the district not just the few chosen in.  What I am confused about is I have read where they have spoke with every child from 7th grade up but like I said I have 2 children who have no recollection of that conversation.  Why doesn't this surprise me.  And before any one questions I am a grad of BC and my kids have attend from K- till now.

If this comes to light and I am sure it will I hope the punishment fits the wrong doing.  I have 2 kids in the BC school district and so many times I have sit back and watched kids get away with murder in this town.  I just hope this will be the same punishment that it would be for ANY child in the district not just the few chosen in.  What I am confused about is I have read where they have spoke with every child from 7th grade up but like I said I have 2 children who have no recollection of that conversation.  Why doesn't this surprise me.  And before any one questions I am a grad of BC and my kids have attend from K- till now.

Hey Cardfan...I guess it is supposed to sound good.  Remember, they are zero tolerance and have handled this situation superbly.  It's nice to see that someone from the inside is not afraid or in complete denial to speak up about stuff that happens in BC. 

Don't get me wrong...I don't like to see any school look bad, but when a situation like this happens (just like the cheerleader hazing and Veteran's Memorial vandalism), lessons should be learned because believe it or not...it's not just going to be a lesson for those kids alone.  There are many kids who get on here and read these threads, so if a mistake is made...let it not be in vain because this is a serious issue that needs to be talked about WITH ALL KIDS IN ALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS BY EVERYBODY!!!

I still don't understand the issue with the TIMING...can someone explain that one to me? As I stated before, I find the lack of timing suspicious since school and all of the sports' seasons are completed. 

Finally, when the mandatory steroid testing begins...will it take over 4 months to get the results back from Austin?  If it does...seems kinda like it defeats the whole purpose.

I dont quite get the 4 month testing issue from Austin, either. In Nederland, their drug testing program shows preliminary results immediately after sample has been tested (which includes random steroid testing, too). If preliminary sample indicates positive test, then student and parents are notified ASAP. Then, the sample is sent to lab for final result testing. My understanding is that it takes 2-3 days for final analysis to be completed.

I have worked in the substance abuse field and handled UAs.  I didn't think that the final results took this long, so my next question is...when were the samples obtained?  If it was not in March or April (when all of this came to light), then the powers that be could have saved their time, money, and resources. 

As for the testing beginning this school year... the news tonight stated that the testing may be postponed until after football season because of the insufficient amount of time there is and OTC supplements possible testing false-positive.  HMMMMMM.....if you don't test for football season...what's the point.  As I stated earlier...they need to keep on track because anyone who is an athlete and who has a coach worth anything will educate their athletes about the risk of any of these supplements causing them to fail a drug test.  It amazes me just how efficient our lawmakers are...SARCASM, of course. ???

I have worked in the substance abuse field and handled UAs.  I didn't think that the final results took this long, so my next question is...when were the samples obtained?  If it was not in March or April (when all of this came to light), then the powers that be could have saved their time, money, and resources. 

As for the testing beginning this school year... the news tonight stated that the testing may be postponed until after football season because of the insufficient amount of time there is and OTC supplements possible testing false-positive.  HMMMMMM.....if you don't test for football season...what's the point.  As I stated earlier...they need to keep on track because anyone who is an athlete and who has a coach worth anything will educate their athletes about the risk of any of these supplements causing them to fail a drug test.  It amazes me just how efficient our lawmakers are...SARCASM, of course. ???

Well said!

I could not agree with you more]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476