Best pitcher to ever come out of your school?

They were good, I'll say this out of all those guys Mitchell had to be the best hitter out of all of them that guy hit like 10 Hrs in one season and I rememer when he hit 2 in one game against stutes and Long in one game the guy could hit and I didn't understand why he never hit in college

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitchers dont hit in college for the liability factor, the only one I know of was the Houston kid that went to the Angels and was a major player in them winning the series. I was told by a Padres scout that was a requirement of his attending Grayson Jr College that he hit when he pitched. I personally know of a cpl of big league players that quit pitching to hit, the latest is Adam LaRoach with Pitt. He pitched his first yr in JUCO.

I played with both Josh and Clay and I know the most clay hit was like 6 in a season and josh's jr year he hit 10 hr and that was the most by a lumberton  player in school history. They are cousins so its common sense that these two ball players were excellent ball players and it runs in the family I guess . I seen both pitch live and I will say this Mitchell had to face the tougher competition from his freshman year through senior year. I mean it was Mitchell and tate pitching every game back then and they got no rest what so ever becasue Jerry Nichols pitch them to death. Clay was a hell of a pitcher but he really only pitch his jr and senior year and in college at mcneese he didn't pitch his freshman year so he's a guy that had the stuff but just need a little tweaking in his mechanics. But you can't go wrong with Mitchell or Buchholz if lumberton could have hit back then they prob go to state but who knows its the past the two were great pitchers. 

hey 643 i dont know if you have heard of tournament games summer ball and other games.  i played against all the hj boys since i graduated in 99 i figure i made that ok.  i played with moye as well on some summer league teams along with spivey and carney.

Hmmm I must know you and you must know me as I'm one of the boys you mentioned, Dad. I'm trying to "figure it out" what school did you go to and I mite remember.. Yes I do know of the games mentioned and was at all be it local, Houston, Dallas or Waco or where ever we played.

Pitchers dont hit in college for the liability factor, the only one I know of was the Houston kid that went to the Angels and was a major player in them winning the series. I was told by a Padres scout that was a requirement of his attending Grayson Jr College that he hit when he pitched. I personally know of a cpl of big league players that quit pitching to hit, the latest is Adam LaRoach with Pitt. He pitched his first yr in JUCO.

Looking at the last 4 drafts...here are some regional pitchers who did hit in college:

2007 - Joe Savery @ Rice

2006 - Brad Lincoln @ UH

2005 - Brian Bogusevice @ Tulane

2004 - Huston Street @ UT

All 1st rounders, all played 'both' ways.  If you are  legit both ways, you'll play both ways in college.

I actually think Tate was more dominant then Mitchell was but he just had a horrible work ethic, he ended up getting drafted late in the draft by the white sox went to panola had alot of issues there and end up quiting. But its more of a toss up between Tate, Mitchell and Bucholtz in highschool. I know Tal Light was a heck of a player but not sure if he pitched. I would say maybe Bucholtz would get the nod because the teams he played on just werent that good but when he pitched they won. dont get me wrong they had a few players like Odem but that team really lack talent. And there is a Juco all-star game I remeber reading the article about Mitchell playing in the game when he was at Galveston.

I know there were more that hit than I mentioned, but I only was speaking of kids, coaches I personally know, with no hearsay or second hand info. Out of all the pitchers that play college ball its a small % that even pick up a bat. You are rite on the big schools with top prospect pitchers but not all, I cant think of one from Lamar but there could be.  

MIF04 is correct, some do hit at the next level, but as 643 has mentioned very few.

The kid from Lufkin, Brandon Belt could swing it in high school. He chose the San Jac route, ended up with a great year at the plate plus quality innings on the mound. From what I hear, he's on his way to UT this year and bringing his bat with him. 

There was NO JUCO backed all-star game then, when I heard of a JUCO All-Star game just the other day I thought >>not, and I went to the JUCO site and did infact see where this yr they held the first. I'm sure the All Star game came about when they changed the signing rule, whereas used to MLB team had a deadline on signing players drafted the yr before after the current or extended season ended. It would have been impossible to do before because if signed he would give up his amature status and therefore not be able to play and IMO the MLB team would not let him play.  

MIF04 is correct, some do hit at the next level, but as 643 has mentioned very few.

The kid from Lufkin, Brandon Belt could swing it in high school. He chose the San Jac route, ended up with a great year at the plate plus quality innings on the mound. From what I hear, he's on his way to UT this year and bringing his bat with him.   

Great example with Belt.  He absolutely tore it up with San Jac.  Although drafted again, he has apparently told UT he will be there come August.

643 I promise you there was a Texas/NM all star game that Mitchell was named too. I just talked to him to make sure I remebered correctly and he confirmed that it was played at Baylor University and he pitched 2 innings allowing 0 runs

643 I promise you there was a Texas/NM all star game that Mitchell was named too. I just talked to him to make sure I remebered correctly and he confirmed that it was played at Baylor University and he pitched 2 innings allowing 0 runs

Not to argue or discredit BUT it was in no way affilated with JUCO, was probally a 'in-house' game

Guest ballplayer

I played with Mitchell and I'll say this the guy was a heck of a pitcher and hitter. Pitching wise he's top 2 best in Lumberton History but the guy always had arm trouble and he had bad arm trouble in college and still manage to throw 90 innings a year with a bad arm. The guy knew how to pitch. Hitting wise I never seen a guy hit bombs like him he could really swing it but he just never wanted to hit and do both in college becasue he was never healthy he just wanted to stick with pitching. So lets just end the argument they were great ball players so lets just deal with it.......

Guest baseball25

I played in Texas-New Mexico Junior College All-Star at Baylor University going into my sophmore year. Each pitcher through 2 ip, why would someone lie about it and I think I know if I threw in the game. 

Mitchell

No one called anyone a liar, but when it was refered to as a JUCO all star game IMO it would include all JUCO players. Another point is how would a signed player play in this game as he looses his amature status when he signs, or were they not included and if so how could it be considered a allstar game. I'm not wanting to take anything away from what you did or acheived. The JUCO All-Star game is new and I have a son that played and pitched in 2 JUCO World Series games in 99 and 2001 and there was absolutlly NO JUCO allstar team PERIOD in 99 or 2001, reason being 2 players on my sons team won the 'BigStick' award, one of the boys still holds the record for most HRs hit in JUCO, Jeremy Havard from Ned was on the all tourn team that was picked in the 2000 series. My question if there was  why wasn't any of these kids picked to play in a JUCO all-star game, maybe they wern't good enough.

Guest baseball25

Players who make the Texas/New Mexico Junior College All-Star team are selected in a poll of coaches based on the players’ offensive and defensive statistics and contributions to their teams. I played in it in 2002 I should know this.

Guest ballplayer

Josh Mitchell 

LHP - LHP 

Height:  6-4  Weight:  205 

Senior 

Hometown 

Lumberton, Texas 

As A Junior: Appeared in 17 games with a team-best 14 starts - second-best in school history - on the mound ... Posted a 5-7 record with a 3.84 ERA, while striking out 57 ... Second on the team in ERA and strikeouts, and third in wins ... ERA is second-best, single-season mark for an Islander ... Tossed a team-high four complete games going 3-1 in those contests ... Earned his first win as an Islander against Texas-San Antonio (2/13) ... Threw his lone shutout of the season against Texas State (3/13) in a nine-inning performance striking out a career-best nine and scattering five hits ... Backed the shutout up with a second-straight complete game victory over Purdue (3/18) as he allowed one earned run on six hits and no walks in nine innings of work ... Named Independent Pitcher of the Week for the effort ... Tied his career-best in strikeouts with nine at Grambling State (4/10) in a complete-game performance.

In Junior College: Started for two seasons at Galveston Junior College for coaches Ruben Felix and Javier Solis ... Posted a 3-12 record despite recording a 2.11 ERA in 88 innings as a sophomore ... As a freshman posted a 5-3 record with a 2.12 earned run average in 80 innings pitched ... Finished career in the top three in ERA and innings pitched and made the Texas-New Mexico Junior College All-Star Game in 2002... Team was 39-49 in his two seasons.

In High School: Played for Mark Brevell at Lumberton High School ... First-team all-district his final three years & Team went 24-3 his senior season ... Was 7-1 with a 1.12 ERA and hit five home runs at the plate as a senior ... Compiled a 6-2 record with a 0.35 ERA as a junior with a school-record 10 home runs ... Newcomer of the Year as a freshman ... Holds the career record for homers ... Lettered twice in basketball earning all-district honors as a junior and senior

In 2002 the Draft and follow was in effect and a drafted player had to sign within a week after their season or go back in the draft, how was a signed player able to play in this game, and if not I guess these players were not included in the pool of players to be selected. I really quit following JUCO ball as close as I had been from 98-2001 and things have changed since, I guess when NJCAA sanctioned a All-Star game it put a kink in the games you played in. BTW hows Ryan and his new baby??

Players who make the Texas/New Mexico Junior College All-Star team are selected in a poll of coaches based on the players’ offensive and defensive statistics and contributions to their teams. I played in it in 2002 I should know this.

I thought you went to San Jac out of HS and then transfered??

Guest baseball25

Ryan is doing really good and the baby is doing good. I am getting married in 3 weeks and got a baby on the way so  we are just trying to get everything situated and I got me a job at Hardin with Larry Haynes so i'm really excited.

Guest ballplayer

WTB I gurantee you Tate didn't have better stats then what Mitchell did in high school those are some Gaudy numbers that kid put up back at Lumberton and Numbers don't Lie becasue thats impressive.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siiyyaa
    Newest Member
    siiyyaa