Horns to retire Kevin Durant's #35

Kevin Durant, the most acclaimed basketball player in University of Texas history, will have his number retired, coach Rick Barnes said Tuesday.

Durant, who wore number 35, swept seven national player of the year awards following his freshman season in 2006-07. Durant, the first freshman to be named national player of the year, left Texas after the spring semester and was selected by Seattle last week with the No. 2 pick in the NBA draft.

Texas has retired the number of one other basketball player, T.J. Ford, national player of the year in 2003.

“Kevin meets the same criteria as T.J.,†Barnes said. “He was national player of the year.â€

Barnes also said that Durant left school in good academic standing, remaining on campus to finish the spring semester.

Barnes said it is too early to determine a date for the retirement. Logistics would work best when Durant is free to appear in Austin while the Longhorns have a home game.

The Longhorns’ 2007-08 schedule has not been completed. The NBA has not released schedules, either.

Texas has retired the numbers of two football players — Earl Campbell (20) and Ricky Williams (34).

One baseball player, Roger Clemens, has had his number retired. Clemens wore number 21.

Texas has been hesitant to retire numbers. Campbell’s number was retired in 1979, two years after he won the Heisman Trophy. Williams had his number retired in 1999, one season after he won the Heisman.

Clemens received the honor in 1993. Cliff Gustafson, the Longhorn coach at the time, announced the decision at the the annual alumni game. One problem: Gustafson had not cleared the decision with the men’s athletics council.

“They put the hammer on me pretty heavy after that,†Gustafson told the American-Statesman years later.

Texas produced a policy in 2001 stating that numbers would be honored, not retired, with exceptions allowed for Heisman winners.

The criteria was expanded to include national players of the year to accommodate Ford.

Sorry I just dont agree with this one.  KD is a great player, great talent and fun to watch, but to retiren his number after playing one season? No.

UT hasnt even announced plans to retire VY's number yet and they're already going to Durant, though there is some behind the scenes chatter that VY's bye week coincides with UT home for K-State this year so maybe.

I like KD, but national player of the year or not, one season should not qualify for hanging your number in the rafters. 

Sorry I just dont agree with this one.  KD is a great player, great talent and fun to watch, but to retiren his number after playing one season? No.

UT hasnt even announced plans to retire VY's number yet and they're already going to Durant, though there is some behind the scenes chatter that VY's bye week coincides with UT home for K-State this year so maybe.

I like KD, but national player of the year or not, one season should not qualify for hanging your number in the rafters. 

I agree

He probably is the greatest player to ever come out of UT, but I also dont think that only one year of school constitutes getting your number retired. It would be ok to have a Kevin Durant night next year where he is honored in someway, but it shouldnt be by retiring his number.

I think Rick Barnes is wrong when stating that it was the same criteria for Durant that it was for Ford. T.J. did more, taking his team to a final four. One year just isn't enough. This is really silly, kind of demoralizes the others who got their numbers retired at that school.

im with u on this one denis, its way 2 early 2 retire his number.

• 2 months later...

yup, i don't see the commitment to the school... one year and run.  granted, i don't blame him for leaving, but i don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired.  there's more to getting your jersey retired than just being a good player.  i think commitment to your team and school, and also what you've done for that school should play a role.  what did durant do?  he had a great season, gave us all hope that he would return, and then took the money and ran.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder