Return of football at Lamar would be benefit to many

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is "when" not "if". TSU already approved $9 million for stadium renovation, a women's softball field is in the planning to be built next to Vincent-Beck. And women's swimming will be added. I say football returns for the fall 09 season.

Yep, they have to hurry.  It will take a minimum of 1 year to recruit.  Realistically schools are "working" on kids with 2-3 years left in high school.

I wonder if they have given it the recruiting issue that much thought.  My guess is they are worrying about the funding not the players.  I seem to remember an article questioning whether or not Craig Stump would be interested in starting the program as the head coach.  Perhaps they have sent out "feelers" on all this stuff.

Craig Stump would not say no if LU offered. He could then join is old buddy Todd Dodge in a few games. LU has until January to announce 09 football. I think it will be much sooner, maybe before the end of summer. If it is Stump, then they can't announce during a season. I wonder if Tubbs is still considering former Dallas Cowboys coach Barry Switzer.

Switzer in Beaumont at LU?  Now thats funny.  Barry going to cut Billy a deal on his contract?  Nothing quite like hiring one of the cheatingest coaches ever to start a program back up.

According to Tubbs, 3-4 years ago, Switzer said he would come if Tubbs offered a good deal. I like the attention nation wide Switzer presences would bring, but I question if his heart would be in the job.

With Switzer recruiting improves drastically based on his name alone.  I would find it odd that he would coach I-AA, and I don't think any of us realistic expect LU to go D-1 in football from the start.  There is a hotbed for recruiting in a 100 mile radius so the talent his HERE.

With Switzer recruiting improves drastically based on his name alone.  I would find it odd that he would coach I-AA, and I don't think any of us realistic expect LU to go D-1 in football from the start.  There is a hotbed for recruiting in a 100 mile radius so the talent his HERE.

Switzer won a NCAA and Superbowl, nothing for him to prove. So whether it is I-AA or popwarner, everyone will understand this would be more about LU than Switzer.

unless Barry is going to coach for say 150-200k it's not going to happen.  Granted doubtful Barry needs the $$$ though.  I put this on the scale of it will happen when they hold the winter olympics in Beaumont and do downhill skiiing down Calder Avenue.

Switzer does not need the money. Tubbs coached LU for free. The deal Tubbs talked about getting Switzer here was not money, but rather perks like plenty of time golfing. A stress free job in other words. But this was 4 years ago. I don't know if Tubbs is still considering him. Tubbs and Switzer are friends so he would say yes.

Guest coachacola

I could see Tubbs talking Switzer into coaching if Lamar was starting football at the 1-A level in a new conference.  Florida Atlantic got Howard Schnellenberger to coach their new football so it's been done, although Switzer has accomplished a lot more than Schnellenberger.  But I can't see him coaching in the SLC in those 15K seat stadiums.

But I think Rita has set back the return of football by 2 or 3 years.  They've had to concentrate on getting the campus repaired plus dealing with the drop of enrollment by a few thousand thanks to Rita.  I still think football is returning, but not as soon as everyone wants it to.

The biggest benefit to this area by Lamar bringing back football would be for the talent in the area that either gets over looked or for the player that might be just one step below the D-1 level.  I hope they do bring it back and heavily recruit from deep east texas to this area.  Believe me there are some hidden gem's in this area that would make LU a competitive team.

If football was to return I hope people would shell out the cash to buy season tickets to get the entire program off the ground...Too many times SETexas athletic junkies talk about "how they would love LU football, or how they would love a Triple AAA ball club back to BMT"....Bottom line would be people supporting the programs just like in all cities.....I'd do it in a heartbeat!

"Our first and foremost responsibility is to have students come here, get a top-quality education and graduate," Moffett said. "But there is a side of the university outside of the classrooms. That's student organizations, and that includes our athletic programs. ... It (the return of football) has kindled a spirit and an enthusiasm; an engagement that we didn't have before."

This is the part that prior LU administrations did not understand, but I believe the current one does. Hopefully they can make this happen.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami