*Coach Of The Year?*

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Orangeboy

Mixon from Jasper. Led his team to the 3A title.

Coach Young also led his Texas City Stings to another district title.

Off the top of my head, this would seem to be a pretty good list of candidates (again, in alphabetical order)

Green (Vid) -  took program that was down and turned them into a playoff contender, forcing BH to 3 games in bi-district round.

Griff (LCM) - had 1 returning starter (his catcher) and wound up with the district champs before 1st round exit.

Hooker (High Is) - 1st playoff spot for 1A Cards since the 90s...including a district title.

Mixon (Jas) - in perhaps the most competitive of all area districts, they outlasted BC, HJ and Silsbee to become district champs.  Still alive in 3A.

Stalbaum (BH) - led team even after loss of starting SS to an outstanding year (marred only by 2nd place finish in district) and still kicking in the playoffs.

Are there others?  Sure.  Could this list change?  Sure. Someone runs the table and makes it to Austin/wins it (Bridge City?) and you may need to re-consider.  Good to debate now...good to debate at season's end.  Better than trying to pick the "worst coach of the year"...so many guys did a great job this season.

Guest ECBucFan

High Island. HIGH ISLAND. HIGH ISLAND!!! Did I mention High Island? H-I won district with a total of 9 (count em', NINE) players.  :o If the H-I coach don't win it, something is wrong... 

Guest Orangeboy

You have to be kidding about Bryant from bc right? That is plain ole talent there my friend.....

Bryant has had to do a lot more coaching this year, his team is very inexperienced. Give the guy at least a little credit.

Talent just makes a coaches job a little easier. Someone still has to be the one to decide how to use that talent. The use of two freshman and keeping guys motivated in BC speaks volumes of Bryant.

There are a ton of candidates out there and all would be a fine choice.

Just dont count out Bryant because he has talent. The Yankees are the most talented team in the league and last I checked they are 8 down.

Just to defend him once more, and i know they were loaded with talent, but the Cards did reach state two years in a row..and they havent lost many games since hes been around.

cant just throw the guy out and say he doesnt do anything right when the cards have had the success they have over the years. many teams are loaded but go nowhere. he takes the talent and does the things to get BC where they are supposed to be.

Guest ECBucFan

I think Coach Hooker from High Island should get "Coach Of The Year" taking 9 kids and winnig a district championship is pretty impressive to me.

This unique situation called for more coaching than I can imagine. Some coaches can simply win with lots of talent. This guy pulled off what nearly amounts to a miracle. Too bad since its such a small & low profile school, he won't get the media accolades he deserves. Awesome job!

This unique situation called for more coaching than I can imagine. Some coaches can simply win with lots of talent. This guy pulled off what nearly amounts to a miracle. Too bad since its such a small & low profile school, he won't get the media accolades he deserves. Awesome job!

He did do a great job with limited players.

Some of you need to quit bashing Billy Bryant.  His record speaks for itself.  Of course you have to have talent to make it to the state tournament!  How many other coaches in the area have been to the state tournament as head coach at two different schools.  When I first started coaching, an older baseball coach corrected me and said that his baseball team(6a in Oklahoma) took him to the state tournament not the other way around.

In the SETX districts isn't the Coach of the Year always from the team that won the district championship?

Even if they weren't automatically deemed Coach of the Year for this accomplishment, three district championship coaches this year come to mind:

Mixon from Jasper, District Champs against some very tough competition.

Terrier from Buna, District Champs, making things happen for Buna for the first time in a while.

Griffith from LCM, District Champs with one returning starter, pre-season rankings didn't place them to finish in the top half of their district.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01