Who is the best coach?

Guest BALLPLAYER

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember it is easy to coach talent to look for the best coaches you need to be looking at those teams that do well with out all this talent. To me the best coaches come from those type of schools though i do believe that griff, robbins and stone are good coaches, you need to be mindful they have top notch talent year end and year out and anyone that knows anything about coaching knows that that type of job is not hard at all except for putting up with outside influences.

How can we leave of Hennigan at Woodville? He won at Colmesneil and now at woodville. This site sometimes get a little caught up in classification and not on whose doing a good job of promoting the sport of baseball. There are more schools around here other than the 4 schools always mentioned. Griff is a great coach, but look at his players. He takes great players and does great things with them. Look at some of these smaller schools and look at what these coaches are doing with a lot fewer athletes. Just my opinion.

Swarm,

We are just happy we have gone from the whippin child of southeast texas baseball to contending for a playoff spot every year.

first quarter century 2 or 3 playoffs, 5 or 6 post season wins

Last 12 years 11 playoffs including six district champs if we can win another district game or two, closing in on 50 post season wins

Our coach does not claim to be the best, he just wants his kids to do well and remeber their time with lcm baseball as an important part of their young lives.

swarm,

Don't you think the coaches such as Stone and Griff who seem to always have good players should get some credit for developing those players. Someone used the word "athletes" earlier. You can't tell me that Vidor, Ozen, and Nederland don't consistantly have just as good, most of the time better, athletes than PNG and LCM. Yet the total wins over the long haul have seemed to go to PNG and LCM.

completely diferent kinds of athletes. I truly respect coach Griffin and coach stone, however when you have the numbers that these coaches have come out they can't help but have at least 15-20 players. Baseball athletes and football athletes are completely different. Baseball involves hand eye coordination etc. All I am saying is the measure of success is different for different programs. Sometimes a 500 record is a major accomplishment and that should be a credit to the coaches and players. I do not want tp take anything away from any of those coaches that have been metioned above they do a great job, but there are other coaches who do just as good as job with a whole lot less.

I don't think your point is valid if you take into account the size of school and the number of athletes you have to work with, your competition in district (whatever size district that may be) is dealing with essentially the same issues and you start the season with a fairly level playing field, so to speak. If you have a great coach, he will be able to develop the players to a level conducive to winning. Surely the coaches with consistent winning records year in and year out deserve SOME credit, regardless of school size. If you are in the play-offs 8 out of 10 seasons in 1-A, that is impressive because you have had success over teams at your level of competativeness (amount of talent available at the beginning of the season is about the same as everyone else in 1-A). Same goes for 5-A, 4-A, 3-A, 2-A. Sure there will always be those schools that squeek by each year just below the radar in numbers in attendance, say, a very large 4-A school that is pushing 5-A numbers, but I don't think LCM is one of them.

I would have to disagree! Even the WOS Coaches will tell you that 90% of the Little League kids in Orange go to LCM when they get older. Things are different now than they used to be in Baseball at WO-S. They used to have the big Wesco Little League they haven't had that for years.

I would have to disagree! Even the WOS Coaches will tell you that 90% of the Little League kids in Orange go to LCM when they get older. Things are different now than they used to be in Baseball at WO-S. They used to have the big Wesco Little League they haven't had that for years.

So, where did WOS baseball kids play little league?

Doesn't really matter, you can blame the lack of an organized little league system in WOS if you want, but players had better participate in more than your basic little league these days to make it in the line up of a competative 3-A or 4-A school.

I agree a win is a win. I am just saying some schools get he benefit of better baseball players moving or growing up that district. Some of that has to do with the coach some that has to do with the program. EX. Jasper they were good when Mike Rogers was there and when Coach Mixon came on board they stayed the same or got a little better. Compered to Newton, not real good for a long time, new coach moves in and will make the play-offs 2 years in a row. Some of tha has to do with classification some of it has to do with coaching. All I am saying is each situation is different. It is coaching, however if the community does not support the program it does not matter who coaches them!!

Swarm'n d- "Some has to do with the coach, some has to do with the program? " Who runs the program?

As far as Mike Rogers goes-he is one of the best. Jasper was GREAT when Mike Rogers was there and they were 4-A. You say they got better when Coach Mixon came on board? I'll give him some credit, but you need to remember, they also moved down to 3-A after Rogers left. Kind of like Bridge City-the competition really isn't as steep in 3-A for them until they get to the play-offs. Coach Rogers has done alot for the tough district he competes in at Alvin (5-A). A great coach is a great coach no matter what size district they compete in.

Rogers was good at Jasper and is doing good at Alvin. Its just a tough district. The Yellow Jackets had a great preseason then struggled once 24-5A started. They may still have some playoff hopes but they're slim. Nevertheless, Rogers has done a very good job there.

I played for Rogers and have known him for many years...There is no better coach to turnaround a program.....All the facilities you see that Jasper has is due to him...I think Jasper won like 8 or 9 district championships in a row in 4a when he was there

Coach Mixon has done a great job in keeping the program up...He took the Dawgs to the State Quarterfinals in 04 and was beaten by future state champs LaGrange

2 totally different styles of coaching, but both effective

How can we leave of Hennigan at Woodville? He won at Colmesneil and now at woodville. This site sometimes get a little caught up in classification and not on whose doing a good job of promoting the sport of baseball. There are more schools around here other than the 4 schools always mentioned. Griff is a great coach' date=' but look at his players. He takes great players and does great things with them. Look at some of these smaller schools and look at what these coaches are doing with a lot fewer athletes. Just my opinion.[/quote']I have to agree, Hennigan has been a winner not only at Colmesneil and Woodville, but he also took Spurger to State twice! He is the only coach in Texas Baseball History that has taken 3 different teams to the State Tournament! He has only coach for 11 or 12 years and is already approaching 300 wins! Just to prove how good a coach he is and not to take anything away from anyone else, but when he came to Woodville in 2003, Woodville was 3a then, he inherited a team that didnt make the playoffs in 2002. He guided the same team to the regional finals only to lose to the eventual undefeated 35-0 STATECHAMPS in Lorena! He has proven himself and should be ranked up there with the best!

Just what and when are you talking about? I have followed Coach Hennigan's career for awhile and I have never heard nor seen his teams pulled of the field! His teams have and always will play the game with respect and will treat it in the same manor. He was brought up that way from his father. Unless you have some credible evidence about him pulling his team of the field, I would ask that you not try to damage what he has accomplished not only on the field, but what he has done for his players and community.

Guest Orangeboy

Just what and when are you talking about? I have followed Coach Hennigan's career for awhile and I have never heard nor seen his teams pulled of the field! His teams have and always will play the game with respect and will treat it in the same manor. He was brought up that way from his father. Unless you have some credible evidence about him pulling his team of the field' date=' I would ask that you not try to damage what he has accomplished not only on the field, but what he has done for his players and community.[/quote']

I think he is talking about the BC tourney lat year when Hennigan pulled his kids off the field because they were getting whipped by BC.

Just happened to be at that game! He did not pull off his team because the were getting pounded. There were 8 minutes left on the time limit and he was about to pull a pitcher and bring in another, but the umpire asked him what the purpose in that would be seeing that there was only 8 minutes remainng in the game? Yes, the did get killed in that game, but please get the facts straight before slandering a GREAT coach. Anything else you would like to bring up to tarnish his career? By the way, it was last year.

Not getting defense, just been a friend of the family for along time. How many games have you seen of Hennigans teams? Did you see the game @ Bridge City when he brought his team from Colmesneil down and beat Bridge City? If I am not mistaken, Coach Hennigan also has been to the BC tourny several times and has never had any problems. Tournament games have time limits as you know and for him to pull his team of the field just for getting beat would be bad I agree, but the surcomestances were that BC was the home team and ahead by a big amount and instead of going out and warming up another pitcher and spending the remainder of the 8 minutes to do so, the umpire called the game. Can I ask you what is so horrible about that? Hennigan is as much a competiter as there is in the coaching ranks, from a personal view I can asure you that he never and will never give up! I think his reputation for putting quality teams on the field and his character speaks for that. Sorry you saw it in another way, but that is the way it was. You also mention another game in which he pulled his team off the field, when and where was that? All I was trying to say in my initial reply was that Coach Hennigan has done a superb job and won with class everywhere he has coached and I think he should be recognized with the elite in the area. Can you disagree with his results? Who in the area can match his success? 12 years of coaching, 4 trips to the State Tournament, 1 State Championship, with 3 different schools! What else need him to prove?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder