Running over the catcher?

Guest Bridge City Card

If you run over a catcher or any other fielder when you could avoid them you are going to be out and ejected. If the catcher or any other fielder is blocking the base and not making a play on the ball, then the runner will not be penalized for avoiding contact and the fielder will be guilty of obstruction. There are times when there is unavoidable contact and no call is made as long as either party does not do anything  to make the collision more violent than it needs to. If you can avoid contact then I strongly suggest that you do and do not leave it in the judgement of the official. I personally wish federation ball, which rules are used for Texas high school baseball, would do what is done at the college level. In college you must slide if a play is being made on you with special intrest at 2nd and home.

If you run over a catcher or any other fielder when you could avoid them you are going to be out and ejected. If the catcher or any other fielder is blocking the base and not making a play on the ball, then the runner will not be penalized for avoiding contact and the fielder will be guilty of obstruction. There are times when there is unavoidable contact and no call is made as long as either party does not do anything  to make the collision more violent than it needs to. If you can avoid contact then I strongly suggest that you do and do not leave it in the judgement of the official. I personally wish federation ball, which rules are used for Texas high school baseball, would do what is done at the college level. In college you must slide if a play is being made on you with special intrest at 2nd and home.

I somewhat agree with MrUmp1. If the person sliding hits the catcher to knock the ball loose I think that's smart baserunning, but if the baserunner does maliciously try to knock the ball loose of the catcher by plowing through them, I do believe the player should be immediatly ejected and the run should not count.  This reminds me about what happened in a softball game between BC and HF.  The BC girl plowed the HF catcher down and was ejected, but the run still counted. I don't even think that the run should have counted!! 

It is a balk if the catcher doesn't stay in the catcher's box until the pitcher delivers the ball. If he were to step out of the catcher's box, before the pitcher delivers the ball, it would be called a catcher's balk. The runners would advance.  This is almost never called but is a rule........... if the pitch was cought infront of the plate this has to be the case...........don't know i was not there

The reason the rule is in place is SAFTEY, making contact is one thing and malicous contact is another. This could very well ruin a players chance on making it to the next level. You guys aren't in the BIGS yet. Its been a cpl of yrs for me but thinking the rule says 'if ball is in flight to' or 'having the ball' a fielder may block base. I was at the game at HF and will say the batter should have swung the bat. The catcher was in his position when the pitcher commited to the plate (started his windup), this is when he "stupidly" jumped out in front. HF had already >>outright<< stole home and from the way it looked and the way it was handled it was the first time this had happened to both pitcher n catcher. Another smart move by the HF coach, as he was taught by one of the best coaches in baseball. This comes from a HJ fan. 

i think the medical information posted argues that contact (malicious or not) should be allowed. granted i dont have kids that play, but it said there were 1.95 injuries per year, in all of high school baseball in the US. i dont know the statistic, but i would be willing to bet my bottom dollar the kids are much more likely to die in a wreck on the way to the field than get hurt bad in a collision at the plate. i say let the kids play the game like it was meant to be played. im talkin like old school ty cobb stuff. thats just me tho, and i understand the other side, just dont agree with it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nanoflowcell
    Newest Member
    nanoflowcell