BH Article

CCRed

I made a comment on another thread about TW and how long until BH starts casting some doubts.  That thread got shut down.  Not sure why.  It felt constructive and I am a big TW fan, even more so after reading the article.  Good people.  This is a good thread to carry this conversation though - 

"Who in the world does this person think BH is going to hire who will "pick up the bill with W's"? From where will you lure a bigger fish than TW to come to BH and take advantage of the "resources and facilities"? You plucked a multi time 6A state championship winning coach from the largest school in the state and you guys still think there is a bigger fish that you can lure to MONT BELVIEU???? It's ridiculous."  This was from 2wedge (I don't know how to tag that person) directed at my comment.  My response is below.  

There are no bigger fish available.  But.....Let's hire the best house painter in the world.  Money is no object but he does get paid monthly.  We have the best paint and brushes on the market.  We know we have an amazing house, we believe in quality.  But part of his process is apply some primer first and then the paint.  Actually the priming task is the most painstaking, complicated part of the job.  But we know, if the priming process is done correctly, this will be the best paint job in the neighborhood.

Month 1 - He is priming most of the month.  There is a little paint on the eaves but we knew this was coming.  It's fine.  Part of the process.  Write the check.

Month 2 - Still priming.  Had a couple of rainy days.  Slowed down the painting process.  A little more paint on the eaves so that is OK.  Write the check.  

Month 3 -  Priming as normal.  Some more paint is up so that is good.  A little peeling on eaves from the weather but we can't control that.  It happens.  Write the check.

............you can see where this is going.  At some point either the house gets an elite paint job (compete for championships), or you fire the painter.  Doesn't matter how much priming he does.

TW has to win to keep his job - Coaches get bigger and better jobs based on their history.  They don't get to KEEP them based on their history.  That is a fact.  TW has a history of building a great program that won multiple champions in the largest and toughest classification in high school football in the country.  That qualifies a coach for a job, that doesn't entitle a coach to a job.

TW has to win to keep his job - Horrible programs have wins.  That happens.  Mediocre programs can have more wins just not consistently.  Great programs compete for championships.  The money, resources, and facilities that is invested and available at BH is not for a mediocre program.  BH is expecting to build a program that competes for championships.  If TW is building a great program (and I think he is) then the wins will be there.  TW cannot keep his job building a program that does not accumulate wins.