**Week 3 SETXSPORTS.COM Top Ten**

Released by MIF04

SETXSPORTS.COM BASEBALL TOP TEN

WEEK THREE

The last week of tournament play provided our teams with an opportunity to do their last-minute fine tuning before the ‘real season’ begins.  Last week saw Bridge City win a huge district game…edging Silsbee 2-1 at Silsbee.  That win was enough to move the Cardinals into our #1 spot.

1.   BRIDGE CITY (2)

Jeff Stringer outdueled Joel Schooling and gave the Cards a huge advantage in the early district race when BC defeated the Tigers 2-1.  The “Big Red†then swept their own tournament (defeating all 4A teams) and, with Johnny Dishon seemingly hitting a homer every other at-bat, the Cards move into our top slot and keeps OUR streak alive…a new #1 each week.

2.   WEST BROOK (3)

The Bruins continue to show why they were our preseason #1, blistering Vidor 11-1 then rolling undefeated into the finals in Lake Charles before losing an extra-inning affair to host (and nationally ranked) Barbe (by the way, can anyone say ‘hometowned’).  WB’s pitching showed significant improvement and, with that offense, the Brook is rarin’ to get with it in district play.

3.   BARBERS HILL (1)

The Hill lost at home (2-1 to unranked PNG) but did rebound to win their own tournament including a come-from-behind win against 3A Hardin-Jefferson.  District play begins this week for the Eagles with ‘should be wins’ against Forest Brook and Crosby. 

4.   LCM (4)

Another good week for the Bears, losing only an extra inning match to Jasper.  It gets serious for Griff and the boys as they open district play this week.  LCM opens at Central then one of the ‘all time’ great games takes place…LCM vs. PNG at LCM.

5.   JASPER (5)

A good week for the Bulldogs as they open district with a very solid win vs. OF and another win in their own tournament against LCM.  They did lost 8-4 to Vidor…in extra innings.  If their pitchers stay healthy (and don’t run out of steam), this is still a very good team.  This week?  HF and WOS.

6.   VIDOR (7)

What to make of the Pirates?  They get shellacked 11-1 at their place by West Brook then turn around and go undefeated in the Jasper tourney.  The jump straight into the fire with a district opening game at home…against Nederland.  Put up or shut up in this one.

7.   NEDERLAND (6)

The Bulldogs go 1-3 in 5A Deer Park Tournament.  Will their strategy of playing ‘up’ against larger schools pay off in district?  We’ll find out pretty soon as they travel to Vidor on Tuesday night.  More disconcerting for Coach Robbins is the fact the team’s ace has been driller in his last two outings and his CF is banged up.  District play won’t wait for one to heal…the ‘Dogs need to be ready now.

8.   SILSBEE (9)

Tough Tuesday night for the Tigers as they dropped a heart-breaking 2-1 district opener to BC.  True to form, the Tigers bounced back by going 4-0 and winning the Llano tournament.  They can breath easy this Tuesday (WOS) but another rumble awaits on Friday when they travel to Sour Lake to take on the HJ Hawks.

9.   HUFFMAN (

Hard to get a read on the Falcons (especially when no one really reports their scores !!!!).  They did defeat West Colombia on Tuesday before going to the Spring tourney (although they did take a 11-0 spanking to 5A Katy).  Who knows?

10.   HARDIN JEFFERSON (10)

The Hawks opened district with Aaron Treece’s no hit win over HF then rolled into the finals against BH before losing a late lead and losing 13-5.  HJ will be looking for area wide respect on Friday when they host Silsbee… a ‘must’ game for both squads.

NEARLY IN, NEARLY OUT, AND OTHER JABBER:

Like Nederland, PNG is using the ‘play up’ preseason strategy.  They could be very ready for district play.  They better be with games this week vs. Ozen and LCM.  The same is true for the Panthers of Ozen as they travel to PNG and then host Dayton.  And don’t forget about the Broncos, folks…they could be there when the smoke settles in this district.  It is a big week for West Brook as they open district on Tuesday then host perennial 5A power Kingwood on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. (that’s right…I’ll won’t be at work that day).  Last week was fun…it gets serious this week for everybody.  Go to the park.  Buy a hot dog.  Enjoy some of the best baseball anywhere…right here in SE Texas. 

I like the top 10 but PNG is missing. I would have them around #3 or #4 at this junction..

I agree Adminbabe, however your thought process does not consider they would hav to give additional credit to BH if they ranked PNG.  See they are still recovering from the brutal effort it took to move them in 1st during Week 2.

I also think BC is deserving as anyone, but a win over Silsbee is not much better than a win over PNG.  Having said that, BC can score 20 on you in a hurry, much like BH.  West Brook get's #2 for getting "hometowned" is just way far left for me..... I guess you can't expect much from a SETX board.     

Bridge City couldn't play on the same field as West Brook...No matter how many games BC is winning, 3A does not compare to 5A.

Are you serious, we've played 4A teams and beat them, and we also play STATE finalist Sulfur "5A" and beat them once and lost to them once. I would love to see 3A BC play 5A Westbrook and shut up the smack talk.....5A doesn't mean your better just that you have more kids......I would still take BC in the matchup though...Probably 14-3 in 5 innings..... :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder