Should a shot clock be used in HS b-ball?

I'm with you, scooter.  A) having a shot clock would keep a team from holding the ball for minutes at a time to kill a game.  B)  high school players would be better prepared for college ball C) i'm a big fan of anything that pushes up the score and makes the game more exciting

I'm with you, scooter.  A) having a shot clock would keep a team from holding the ball for minutes at a time to kill a game.  B)  high school players would be better prepared for college ball C) i'm a big fan of anything that pushes up the score and makes the game more exciting

It'll make for some interesting games through-out Texas. Makes the game  advantage a little more even.

I knew this topic would come up as well, my son and I were talking about this a week ago.  It seems to be a more and more common strategy amoung high school teams to get a quick lead and then start "stalling".  Even from the first quarter.  I am definately for the idea.  I hate that tactic.  Like it was already stated, it is done in every level above H.S.  Might as well get a clock in at least H.S. if not even Jr. High.  However, since there is no clock, I don't blame those teams performing the strategy now...

Two reasons why it won't work.

First, Money.  Those things cost money. (ANd you have to pay another worker to work it.)

Second, Can you imagine how many times a game it will be reset incorrectly.  Imagine being at an Ozen vs. Memorial game and not resetting the shot clock on time.  DRAMA CITY!

The spread or stall is part of the game..... just as taking a knee in football or intentionally walking someone in baseball is.

No doubt you're right hawk, but I'll be willing to bet that High School has a shot clock within the next few years.  And the spread is a part of the game, its just boring to watch and frustrating to oppose, I guess the idea is to not let the other team get the lead to begin with ;D

The Stall isnt' invincible.  You have to know when to attack it, when to jump the passing lane, and when to stay home on your man.  Part of disciplined team and good coaching, that's all.  I like the game the way it is.  If you cant stop the stall, you don't need to be onthe court playing them.  IMO.

I, for one, think the shot clock should be used.  It would force those teams that use the stall tactic to actually play basketball.  I think that is pathetic.  It may be a great way to end up with more points at the end of the game but it certainly isn't any way to win!!  I think it's a cheap tacky ploy...but not basketball.  To me that whole stall tactic says that the coach doesn't have much faith in his team as a team or as individual players.  If he did, he'd spend his time coaching them on perfecting their game play, not how to play keep away.  I'd rather have a team lose playing their best game of basketball than I would have one resort to "winning" tactics.

I have to agree. That is a strategy to win that a lot of school coach's utilize, but only because it is a part of the game. I think they should do it. Yeah, it costs money, but so did the play clocks in he football game this past year. And those clocks couldn't be much more expensive than a few basketballs. It would make the game more exciting and take away the cheeseballer effect (sitting on the ball with a five point lead) for a whole quarter. At least 35 sec. or so like the college level. And I disagree its nothing like kneeling on the ball with a few ticks left, or an intentional walk. It is more like having a 5 minute play clock in football. IF you score a time or two, you'll probably win. True, coach's use it because its a part of the game and a coach is all about utilizing strageties and and preparing players mentally and physically for the game, even if it means manipulating ghe rules of the game. Like the game West Sabine lost to Broaddus. The final score looked like a base ball score all because one team got out to a five point lead. And no I'm not just sore at Martin's Mill for doing it to WH.

I, for one, think the shot clock should be used.  It would force those teams that use the stall tactic to actually play basketball.  I think that is pathetic.  It may be a great way to end up with more points at the end of the game but it certainly isn't any way to win!!  I think it's a cheap tacky ploy...but not basketball.  To me that whole stall tactic says that the coach doesn't have much faith in his team as a team or as individual players.  If he did, he'd spend his time coaching them on perfecting their game play, not how to play keep away.  I'd rather have a team lose playing their best game of basketball than I would have one resort to "winning" tactics.

That may be the dumbest post I have ever read.I am no fan of the stall but I would sure rather have my team win than lose playing an upbeat style.It spreads the floor and forces teams to play man to man defenses which is a lost art these days.Dean Smith ran this at NC for years and I don't think confidence was an issue with MJ.The shot clock would weigh heavily in the favor of the clubs with the best athletes not necesarily the best teams.It would however make for some upbeat games.I just don't think it would be good for the high school game.

That may be the dumbest post I have ever read.I am no fan of the stall but I would sure rather have my team win than lose playing an upbeat style.It spreads the floor and forces teams to play man to man defenses which is a lost art these days.Dean Smith ran this at NC for years and I don't think confidence was an issue with MJ.The shot clock would weigh heavily in the favor of the clubs with the best athletes not necesarily the best teams.It would however make for some upbeat games.I just don't think it would be good for the high school game.

I guess I just have a bit more integrity than you.  I don't think it's dumb anymore than I think your response to it is.  You ARE entitled to your opinion (just like I am) but you certainly didn't need to be so rude.  It's amazing how vocal, rude and opinionated people are when they are anonymous!  LOL  ::)

Guest Robinhood

High School doesn't need a shot clock.  Just a rule that does not allow a team to stall.  I know it will become a judgement call, but so are several other calls made in the game.

Didn't mean to be rude,just thought it was an odd post.I would rather win playing any style than lose .I thought these forums were all about opinions.I know once you get out of lil dribblers its more about winning than looking good or playing upbeat tempo.

Didn't mean to be rude,just thought it was an odd post.I would rather win playing any style than lose .I thought these forums were all about opinions.I know once you get out of lil dribblers its more about winning than looking good or playing upbeat tempo.

I realize HS basketball is a different arena than little dribblers.  However, I believe that any sport (anything in life for that matter) should be played with integrity.  Your best game, head held high, using your skills, etc.  I don't believe in selling your soul for the win.  If you can't win with your best game, then you just didn't win.  If you cheat or use "winning" tactics, then you even if you've got the W....you didn't win!  My opinion.

Guest 972BBallCoach

I would vote to keep shot clocks out. For these reasons, #1 a good spread offense can destroy a team that has a weak Man-to-Man defense. I practice the spread for this reason. I really could care less of the crowd likes it or not. People hate to watch this style because they don't think it's basketball ? If I am running the dribble weave effectively I am trying to kill time and I am waiting for an opening to go and score. I do what I have to do to win. #2 If your athletes are Bigger, Faster & Stronger than mine, I am not going to run up and down the floor with you. I am going to slow the game down and keep the score low. This increases my chances for winning the game. This is the only way to keep these potential blow-outs fair (especially at the High School Level). It's great when you are the team that has the athletes but when you are on the other end it's not great. I've been on both sides. From winning a ring in Austin- to barely going 500.

I would be surprised if the shot clock was put into games. I think if it was to happen, it could take the discipline from the game offensively. The flex would no longer be as great of an offense because of all the time needed to run it correctly as well as the Princeton offense.

Ultimately, I hope this doesn't happen. It takes away another option a coach has. This is sort of related to the NBA allowing teams to zone. Everyone thought every team would go to a zone. It hasn't happened. Every once in a while you will see a zone. Some teams are not going to pass the ball and shoot every chance they can. Others are going to slow the game down and take high percentage shots. It boils down to what kind of players a team has. As a great coach once told me  "A team can only be as good as the players on it".

at the state tournament this year i saw several teams that liked to stall for long periods of time, which kinda made the game less interesting... i think that a shot clock would be a good idea maybe like 40 seconds or something... so that way it isn't so short that it rushes players, but to where it keeps them from stalling for long periods of time...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder