10 District Championships

JustUs

Congrats to Coach Tammy Brown and the Lady Ozen Panthers for this monumental accomplishment...Many werent aware of this until 6-News made it known last night...Sad but true girl sports/accomplishments dont get near the attention and coverage the boy sports get...Congrats and good luck to the top 4 teams representing 22-5A in the up coming playoffs....

JustUS is only speaking the truth. Girl sports don't get covered as much, it's the way it is. How often do you see volleyball scores reported from news stations on Friday nights? Only what is called in. What about Tuesday nights? Very few are covered in person, most scores are called in. I always see a lot more baseball highlights/interviews than softball. Never see much of anything on cross country or track. Not complaining, just the truth. There are teams that win district year after year in volleyball, cross country, soccer, tennis, golf, and track and you never hear much about it, if any. The truth is, more has been covered on the news and this website about the fight between LCM and Silsbee basketball than all the sports I previously mentioned. If you took volleyball out of the mix, that fight has had more coverage than all the other sports combined.

It's not a push on our local media. It's media everywhere. You don't see many women sports covered on ESPN and you never hear about some sports unless it's the Olympics.

Ashly, if it wasn't for you interest in PNG girls soccer, how many scores would we have from their tournament year after year?

With that said, Congratulations to the Lady Panthers. Is that 10 in a row or just 10 in their history? I've only lived here for about 15 years, but didn't Ozen open around 2000?

37 minutes ago, Volleyball said:

JustUS is only speaking the truth. Girl sports don't get covered as much, it's the way it is. How often do you see volleyball scores reported from news stations on Friday nights? Only what is called in. What about Tuesday nights? Very few are covered in person, most scores are called in. I always see a lot more baseball highlights/interviews than softball. Never see much of anything on cross country or track. Not complaining, just the truth. There are teams that win district year after year in volleyball, cross country, soccer, tennis, golf, and track and you never hear much about it, if any. The truth is, more has been covered on the news and this website about the fight between LCM and Silsbee basketball than all the sports I previously mentioned. If you took volleyball out of the mix, that fight has had more coverage than all the other sports combined.

It's not a push on our local media. It's media everywhere. You don't see many women sports covered on ESPN and you never hear about some sports unless it's the Olympics.

Ashly, if it wasn't for you interest in PNG girls soccer, how many scores would we have from their tournament year after year?

With that said, Congratulations to the Lady Panthers. Is that 10 in a row or just 10 in their history? I've only lived here for about 15 years, but didn't Ozen open around 2000?

In the local media's defense, look at the total number of posts on this website for each category mentioned. Maybe the media coverage is a reflection of what their viewers demand. If I move up north, does it make any sense for me to complain and make truthful statements about ice hockey getting more coverage than hs football?  

Pretty sure no one made a comparison to getting the same coverage as football. The comment is about how little girls sports are covered. 

I'll give you one last example. I believe it is KFDM that has local coaches and some of his/her players come in and do an interview on Sunday nights (I believe it's Sunday). How often have you seen a girls sports coach and athletes brought in? It doesn't bother me, I don't have anyone playing anymore but I do agree with the original post that girls sports aren't covered very well. 

2 hours ago, Volleyball said:

If i'm not mistaking its the last 10-years in a row under Coach Brown's tenure...Ozen was created 1997-1998 school year...

2 hours ago, Volleyball said:

Pretty sure no one made a comparison to getting the same coverage as football. The comment is about how little girls sports are covered. 

I'll give you one last example. I believe it is KFDM that has local coaches and some of his/her players come in and do an interview on Sunday nights (I believe it's Sunday). How often have you seen a girls sports coach and athletes brought in? It doesn't bother me, I don't have anyone playing anymore but I do agree with the original post that girls sports aren't covered very well. 

I can't answer your question. I don't watch the news. It's too depressing. 

20 hours ago, Tigers2010 said:

News stations are about ratings. They gotta go with what the people want. Nothing personal, girls sports aren't what the majority of people want to see covered. Also is the case with tennis, golf, cross country, and swimming, both boys and girls.

I don't disagree at all. They could cover volleyball better on Tuesdays. I would have never had said that before having a daughter play though...lol.

Just an example of days I anchored this week

FRIDAY
6 pm
Coach T story (Kountze Girls Basketball)
Lamar Softball Update Graphic
Lamar State Softball Update Graphic
10 pm
Silsbee at WOS Boys Basketball Highlights
PNG at Lumberton Girls Soccer Highlights
Lamar at Texas A&M Softball Highlights
Lamar State Softball Update Graphic

SATURDAY
6 pm
Lamar at SFA Women's Basketball Highlights
Lamar Men's Basketball preview
Coastal Alabama vs Lamar State Softball Highlights
10 pm
Lamar at HBU Men's Basketball Update Graphic
Lamar at SFA Women's Basketball Highlights
Coastal Alabama vs Lamar State Softball Highlights

SUNDAY
5:30 pm
Lamar Women's Basketball Standings Update
Lamar Men's Basketball Standings Update
10 pm
Kountze vs East Bernard Girls Basketball Playoffs Preview

I can't control what everyone else does in the market, but I try to make sure the girls get plenty of coverage. I coached select softball with my dad for years and have seen their games get overlooked. Also schedules move around throughout seasons. I'm required to take off Monday and Tuesday during football season. The rest of the year I'm off on Thursday and Friday. This is because I work every weekend. I will say it is MUCH harder to get results from the girls games. There are a select few coaches that text or email their finals in even if we're not covering their game that night. I at least get the score out on social media even when I'm off. Anyone can feel free to email updates to me at [email protected]. Or hit me up on twitter @AshlyKBMT12