PNG vs OZEN

53 minutes ago, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

Its very hard to make a list, but if you take championships and leadership, Richy is the guy. I grew up at his house as a wee child... Literally... Looked up to those guys. But pure QB, D. Long was the guy. He called most of his plays, without the help of a coach telling him to throw to a certain guy. Robertson, Doty, and Musser... Pure leaders who stepped up with big wins against rivals, with D.C.s and some playoff runs. I know the rah rahs will ask about others because of numbers... And thats fine... Just my opinion on the subject. I do think RJ will get on the list if he stays at PN-G and stays healthy.... And all these guys, minus Doty, played in the day of 1 or 2 teams getting into the playoffs. Back then there was no cupcakes in the first few rounds like nowadays.... All those guys had wins over Nederland. Musser over Nederland and WOS. All had a DC. And 2 had state finalists suads, one with a Championship. Robertson went 4 rounds, and Doty went 3. Pretty impressive in my book.....

Robertson did not have a DC...but he was good!

1 hour ago, pakronos said:

not to take away from his accomplishments, but like how people try to compare Hines to J.C, you can't compare R.J. to ANY of those IMO. todays teams are soft. PAM defense is by far NOWHERE NEAR what defenses was back then and PAM held him in check for the most part, DESPITE THE SCORE. against the teams R.J. has faced, those other Q.B.'s would have lit it up. Silsbee, GCM, Lumberton,Livingston, Lee, Central...combined have a losing record. do you really value his numbers against weak competition? i know and get HE can't help who is on the schedule, but we will see what the young man is made of in the playoffs. PAM gave a glimpse and that's not a knock on him, but like the old saying,  "everyone looks good in t shirts and shorts"...well everyone looks good against inferior teams...even PAM....sometimes

1 hour ago, MAYFIELD said:

Man I haven't heard Derek Giron name in years, love my Bumblebees!!!!

What about Terry Miller? That dude was so cold, he would run an interception back before the half, play the drums in the halftime performance, then run the 2nd half kickoff back for a TD.... Then drive the team home on the bus.................................

RJ is a different style QB. Very balanced attack. Long was a good runner, but not like RJ. Then again, I don't know if RJ will be the pure thrower that Long was. I mean, Long set records in the big 12. There was a guy by the name of Denny Duhon in the early 80's that was the size of a line man playing QB. Guy had a rocket for a pass. He died in a car crash at a young age. 

1 hour ago, FrodoNDN said:

RJ is a different style QB. Very balanced attack. Long was a good runner, but not like RJ. Then again, I don't know if RJ will be the pure thrower that Long was. I mean, Long set records in the big 12. There was a guy by the name of Denny Duhon in the early 80's that was the size of a line man playing QB. Guy had a rocket for a pass. He died in a car crash at a young age. 

Denny was a great guy with a cannon... Not real mobile, and not much winning in those years..

53 minutes ago, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

Denny was a great guy with a cannon... Not real mobile, and not much winning in those years..

Grew up across the street from Denny, he was like my big brother, I miss him very much to this day. Caught a lot of passes from that cannon arm. He was a really good pitcher as well!

The two team per district playoff format started in 1982.  PA Thomas Jefferson and Beaumont West Brook advanced to the playoffs in 1982 with Alex Durley's Bruins getting on a roll and winning the whole thing over Fort Worth L.D. Hurst Bell.  TJ won district and WB won state.

In 1983, WB was the district champion and TJ beat PN-G for the second playoff spot.  PN-G had a good team.  The Indians came up just short vs. WB at The Reservation, I think the game was decided by a FG (17-14) if my old memory is correct...and then TJ beat PN-G at Memorial Stadium 34-21 on a wet sloppy field.  Coach Ethridge left PN-G after the '83-'84 school year.

In 1984, WB and French represented 22-5A and the French Buffs shared the state championship with Odessa Permain's MOJO.  The French playoff theme was a soulful tune "Solid as a Rock" (I don't remember the singers) and the Buff defense was solid as a rock.  I remember going to the French v. LaPorte game in the Astrodome.  The Buffs crushed LaPorte 48-7 or something like that...it was a blowout.  I want to say LaPorte had negative total yards in the first half.  The Buff defense dominated.

1984-1988 were lean years for the Indians.  Declining enrollment due to the oil bust, but the ISD was still big enough for PN-G to be in a tough 22-5A district that had WB, French, soon to be Central when French combined with BC-P, and TJ.  Once PN-G dropped to 4A in the late 1980s, winning returned with Danny Malone's 1989 team that went 12-2.

You guys in this thread are bringing back old memories.  Good stuff.

Go Indians.  Peace.

4 hours ago, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

What about Terry Miller? That dude was so cold, he would run an interception back before the half, play the drums in the halftime performance, then run the 2nd half kickoff back for a TD.... Then drive the team home on the bus.................................

Terry was a true all around athlete. he actually went into baseball and played in the minors. grown man status!!

3 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

The two team per district playoff format started in 1982.  PA Thomas Jefferson and Beaumont West Brook advanced to the playoffs in 1982 with Alex Durley's Bruins getting on a roll and winning the whole thing over Fort Worth L.D. Hurst Bell.  TJ won district and WB won state.

In 1983, WB was the district champion and TJ beat PN-G for the second playoff spot.  PN-G had a good team.  The Indians came up just short vs. WB at The Reservation, I think the game was decided by a FG (17-14) if my old memory is correct...and then TJ beat PN-G at Memorial Stadium 34-21 on a wet sloppy field.  Coach Ethridge left PN-G after the '83-'84 school year.

In 1984, WB and French represented 22-5A and the French Buffs shared the state championship with Odessa Permain's MOJO.  The French playoff theme was a soulful tune "Solid as a Rock" (I don't remember the singers) and the Buff defense was solid as a rock.  I remember going to the French v. LaPorte game in the Astrodome.  The Buffs crushed LaPorte 48-7 or something like that...it was a blowout.  I want to say LaPorte had negative total yards in the first half.  The Buff defense dominated.

1984-1988 were lean years for the Indians.  Declining enrollment due to the oil bust, but the ISD was still big enough for PN-G to be in a tough 22-5A district that had WB, French, soon to be Central when French combined with BC-P, and TJ.  Once PN-G dropped to 4A in the late 1980s, winning returned with Danny Malone's 1989 team that went 12-2.

You guys in this thread are bringing back old memories.  Good stuff.

Go Indians.  Peace.

I want to say Denny was followed by Guidry.. And everyone remembers the leg injury... But the Butch Troy days where slim pickings.. Great guy, great O line coach.... Just wasn't a great Head Coach.... 89 team turned us back around to mold us into what we are today..... Malone taught us we could win... Owens won a DC, and of course Matt took us to the dance.. Fairclothe has brought in offense and of Course 4 teams making the show allows us a good shot to make the playoffs every year.. In my memories... I think since the 77 team.. I would say the 89, 96, 99, teams where the best... 96 had the best Defense I can remember.... Prosperie and Marsh where legit... Honestly they lost on a busted ass play that the guy hit a knee.. But.... That's another story..... Throw in the 96 MCM game in the rain as a top 5er for sure.... 

24 minutes ago, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

I want to say Denny was followed by Guidry.. And everyone remembers the leg injury... But the Butch Troy days where slim pickings.. Great guy, great O line coach.... Just wasn't a great Head Coach.... 89 team turned us back around to mold us into what we are today..... Malone taught us we could win... Owens won a DC, and of course Matt took us to the dance.. Fairclothe has brought in offense and of Course 4 teams making the show allows us a good shot to make the playoffs every year.. In my memories... I think since the 77 team.. I would say the 89, 96, 99, teams where the best... 96 had the best Defense I can remember.... Prosperie and Marsh where legit... Honestly they lost on a busted ass play that the guy hit a knee.. But.... That's another story..... Throw in the 96 MCM game in the rain as a top 5er for sure.... 

The 1993 WOS PNG game at the Reservation the old fumble into the endzone on the 2 point for the win was a great game

11 hours ago, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

I played in the '85 football year('86 graduate). Yes Guidry came after Duhon and French snapped his leg in half with bone sticking out. It was nasty. French also knocked half of our team for that year. 

Think about this...during the nine year span from 1975 - 1984, the Golden Triangle (22-4A and then 22-5A) had five of the representatives in the state championship game in the highest classification...with three state champions.

1975: PN-G state champions

1977: PN-G state finalists

1980: TJ state finalist

1982: WB state champions

1984: French state co-champions

In you throw in the 3A/4A champions from 1975-1990, and add Hebert and WO-S, you have quite a list of state champions from little 'ol SETX.

Lots of great football played during the 1970s and 1980s.

Back to PN-G vs. Ozen....

Go Indians.  Peace.

On 10/27/2016 at 8:28 AM, Stattrax/FreeBG2 said:

I am just going to throw this out there.... I consider myself, a pretty smart PNG stat guy... I have seen some good talent come through in my time.... I rank PNG QBs in history like this.....

1. D. Long

2. R. Ethridge

3. R. Robertson

4. B. Doty

5. J. Musser

That would be my top 5. And for anyone in the know... Thats a solid top 5....

But as a sophomore, I am more impressed with what R.J. has done, vs D.L. now granted, its 2 totally different situations. D.L. was a drop back passer, that read a defense and made his own calls on the field. Typical pro style with a 4.7 40 to boot... But as a dual threat, system Q.B. i think R.J. is pretty impressive. I am a history buff, and not to often do I say any of these younger generation guys have the capability, but in this case, I have been impressed what he has done. That being said, I have no idea what his stats are, but his TD ratio has to be up towards the top of the district.... He might have personally scored more TDs than some teams have all together during the season....

stat master how many of your Madden top 5 have you seen play in person? Long&Doty and maybe Musser but i dont think you are that old.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

He and Long are the top 2 in my book and it goes besides the stats. They were just great quarterbacks and guys you want leading your team

I played on 75 state team i have seen a lot of NDN football,and stat God must have forgotten about Morse kid.ill let him explain his Madden top 5 to us.