Hardin-Jefferson 17 Liberty 14/FINAL

WOSgrad

On 10/26/2016 at 4:37 PM, sahen said:

I went to this game the other day. I pull for Liberty, but like to sit on the visiting side (better food and typically better seats). Anyway, I sat up next an old coach who was a pleasure to visit with. I never got his name, but his son is a coach on the HJ staff and he coached the 1985 Electra team that won the state title.

In my opinion, HJ won that game due to some great coaching. HJ basically wanted to wear Liberty down and was hoping for a few turnovers. It felt like HJ had the ball the entire game. They got more than a few turnovers and their last couple of possessions Liberty was just too tired to stop them. On the other side, I am unsure what Liberty was thinking on offense. Honestly, they had 0 reason to throw the ball and basically gave it way a few times whether that was through throwing an INT or killing their own drives. I think the Liberty coaches were trying to force the passing game when they didn't need too. That coach and I were wondering why Liberty wouldn't just keep running the trap. Seemed like they got 5 yards all night on it. Needless to say, it was a fantastic game and great display of coaching and determination from HJ. Their kids were ready to play and though they seemed undersized and a bit less athletic they were the better team that night. They had a great plan and executed it to near perfection. Also, if their field goal kicker would have been playing for the Arizona Cardinals or the Seattle Seahawks he would have saved us all some time back on our lives from that Sunday night snooze fest of missed field goals.

Once again, just one man's opinion, but that's how I saw it. I would be interesting in watching these teams play again in the playoffs. I am unsure how the bracket would line up because if WOS is between them playing again that won't happen, but I think it would be another close well fought game.

I know the older coach and his son who you are talking about.  The older coach will call it like it is. Good coach as well.  His brother and brother in law are also coaches.