Pitch Count for High School

TradenupBH

As a parent of a hs pitcher I am against it.  His arm is my responsibility, and good communication with the coach is a must.  My boy pitched 9 innings and 130 pitches in the playoffs last year.  I watched his legs, and watched his form and velocity.  Our coach was doing the same thing, and monitoring every aspect.  I understand the premise, but you start off slow, and build as the arms get conditioned.  Let's make every batter wear a facemask, and outfielders wear cups.  There are risks in sports. Probably gonna be in the minority, but just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Chester86 said:

As a parent of a hs pitcher I am against it.  His arm is my responsibility, and good communication with the coach is a must.  My boy pitched 9 innings and 130 pitches in the playoffs last year.  I watched his legs, and watched his form and velocity.  Our coach was doing the same thing, and monitoring every aspect.  I understand the premise, but you start off slow, and build as the arms get conditioned.  Let's make every batter wear a facemask, and outfielders wear cups.  There are risks in sports. Probably gonna be in the minority, but just my opinion.

Agreed. I firmly believe that weightlifting(especially squats, power clean, and deadlift) is a must for all athletes, pitchers in particular. Proper weightlifting will go a LONG way in improving a pitchers durability, velocity, and power.

4 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Coach Denny told the parents at the beginning of the year that the UIL is looking at implementing a pitch count next year at the high school level. I'm all for it, what's your thoughts?

I love the idea if done correctly.  Bring in Dr Andrews and have him create the rules.  Same guy that created the original pitch counts used in Little League and same guy that every multi-million dollar athlete in the world trusts with the health of their body.  I tend to trust Dr Andrews opinion with my kid's arm more than I trust mine or that of the coach.

57 minutes ago, LandonWright said:

So you trust a Dr who has never met your son, seen him throw or talked with him to decided how many pitches he should throw in a given game, week or season? Those same multi-million dollar athletes trust their bodies to guys who pumped them full of hgh and other steriods as well. I trust the arm and what my eyes are seeing. 

Absolutely.  He knows the human body and it's limitations and history better than me or our coach.  Are there exceptions in sports?  Sure.  But you won't know whether you are wrong about your son being one of those exceptions until it is too late. I'd rather trust an expert on the subject matter and focus on my real job.

Regarding your last sentence, are you telling me that you know more about the limitations of your child's body than Dr. Andrews?  

3 hours ago, Socrates said:

How in the world would they be able to accurately monitor this to make sure every coach in the state is following whatever rule they might make?

Same way they currently manage the amount of hours in football each week that players can practice and even hit.  Oh, and don't forget about all the help provided by the parents. Will some coaches still cheat the rules?  Sure.  Will some get turned in and get in trouble with UIL?  Sure.  If coaches are not currently abusing kids arms then this should not even be a blip on the radar.  The fact that so many people are already upset over it tells me exactly how much danger these kids are currently facing.  And not just from the coaches but more so from the parents pushing to get their kid to the next level.  smh