Discussion question:

jv_coach

Truth or preference   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider your "religion" to be a matter of preference, or to be true?

• Truth
    • Preference

13 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

There is if they are revisions based on the Westcott-Hort text...if you haven't heard of them, look it up.

Read Floyd Jones "Ripped from the Bible"

If the Holy Spirit didn't want it, it wouldn't be accepted......my example is the fictional version the Jehovahs Witnesses made......if the Holy Spirit didn't want anything 'ripped from the Bible" it would not be......

i dont know know what happened on my previous post to garble it up......I was quoting Titus 3:4-7

Titus 3:4-7English Standard Version (ESV)

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

C1,

Couldn't reply to your post...there was too much other stuff that got pasted looks like.

You are wrong on Grace, It's a gift, you can't earn it...you (and me) don't deserve it...it is a GIFT from God.

Should we be obedient...yes.  But you cannot earn grace...it's a gift when we are saved...and is extended until we are called home.

Can I get an answer on the Church of Christ question so I'm clear on it?

Anyone can google scripture and copy/paste it here.  Does not show your knowledge, esp. understanding, of the Bible.  You seem very narrow-minded and almost cult-like in your beliefs.  Like I stated earlier, I think you could gain a greater understanding and perspective by studying the history of, and canonization, the Old and New Testaments (and also the various versions).  

But to each his own.   

23 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

C1,

Couldn't reply to your post...there was too much other stuff that got pasted looks like.

You are wrong on Grace, It's a gift, you can't earn it...you (and me) don't deserve it...it is a GIFT from God.

Should we be obedient...yes.  But you cannot earn grace...it's a gift when we are saved...and is extended until we are called home.

Can I get an answer on the Church of Christ question so I'm clear on it?

I know what you mean......I've gone to my iPad.....lol....

I never said Grace had to be earned......it is a gift from God, and God has told us what to do to receive His free gift......doing what God commands isn't earning Grace, it's what He expects us to do if we want His freely offered gift......

Luke 17:10English Standard Version (ESV)

10 So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants;[

This is the hidden content, please
] we have only done what was our duty.’”

And he told us we must HEAR His Word and BELIEVE His Word......

Romans 10:17English Standard Version (ESV)

17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

we must CONFESS publicly our belief that He Is The Messiah....

Matthew 10:32English Standard Version (ESV)

32 So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven,

and the the passage from Romans you have quoted also shows we must believe and confess.........we must REPENT of our past sins......

Luke 13:3, Acts 2:38...........

and we we must be BAPTIZED, immersed in water to have those sins washed away........I have quoted all of the relevant passages several times for this one......this is how we are born again, of water and of The Spirit.....

John 3:3-5English Standard Version (ESV)

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again[

] he cannot see the kingdom of God.”Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Then we must live faithful lives until we die.......Revelations 2:10.......

THAT is the Gospel.......THAT is how we accept Gods freely offered gift of Grace........

42 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

Anyone can google scripture and copy/paste it here.  Does not show your knowledge, esp. understanding, of the Bible.  You seem very narrow-minded and almost cult-like in your beliefs.  Like I stated earlier, I think you could gain a greater understanding and perspective by studying the history of, and canonization, the Old and New Testaments (and also the various versions).  

But to each his own.   

I am narrow......I'm on that narrow path to the straight gate that leads to salvation.....you feel free to remain with the crowd, I'll do what God said to do.....

Matthew 7:13-14English Standard Version (ESV)

13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy[

] that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are

2 hours ago, Colmesneilfan1 said:

Judge them by their fruit.......I guess all the pedophille and homosexual priests were putting those years of study and understanding to use???? I notice that you give a lot of opinion, but you have yet to give any Scripture to back it up.......

That's a real Christian statement - how can you make that statement with the fact that pedophile and homosexuals are in every religion, profession and careers

20 minutes ago, eknights88 said:

Quote one of these verses from your NIV or an ESV Bible ( cfan1 )

Matthew 17:21, Matthew 18:11, Matthew 23:14, Mark 7:16, Mark 9:44, Mark 9:46, Mark 11:26, Mark 15:28, Luke 17:36, Luke 23:17, John 5:4, Acts 8:37, Acts 15:34, Acts 24:7, Acts 28:29, Romans 16:24. 

I will wait 

Your point?????

12 minutes ago, Whoa said:

That's a real Christian statement - how can you make that statement with the fact that pedophile and homosexuals are in every religion, profession and careers

They are not Christians if they are actively engaged in these things which are described as sexual immorality by God......when they REPENT and obey God, they are forgiven.....there are no pedophiles or homosexuals in the Lord's Church......

5 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

He is better than a Christian...he is Church of Christ.  They are the only true believers and gate keepers into the promised land.  He will tell you himself in a bit.  

Yea,  its almost like how can anyone be that out of touch, closed minded, etc...

I really do love his post.  Makes me appreciate the real love of God, Jesus and my religion --sorry but its Catholic  --- Haven for me Colmesneilfan????

None of these low lifes in the Lords (Church of Critics) Church.

That is CRAZZZY

46 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

He is better than a Christian...he is Church of Christ.  They are the only true believers and gate keepers into the promised land.  He will tell you himself in a bit.  

YOU said that.......there is no scriptural basis for the "gatekeepers into the promised land" shot, so no, I will not be telling anyone that.....

Just now, eknights88 said:

My point is you can't. Because they are sadely missing 

in fact NIV removes 17 whole verses and over 64,000 words. 

True, but when you go compare them to the same passages in the King James, you see that they were  repetitive for the most part, and removing them didn't change the meaning of what was being taught......ESV footnotes it and puts it there as reference......this does show, though, why its important to use several translations in your studies.......

10 minutes ago, Whoa said:

Yea,  its almost like how can anyone be that out of touch, closed minded, etc...

I really do love his post.  Makes me appreciate the real love of God, Jesus and my religion --sorry but its Catholic  --- Haven for me Colmesneilfan????

None of these low lifes in the Lords (Church of Critics) Church.

That is CRAZZZY

Matthew 5:11-12English Standard Version (ESV)

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

4 minutes ago, Whoa said:

BAD NEWS  

there are many Church of Christ pedophiles - what about the Church of Christ Preacher Don Adair?

Colmeneilfan?  look on the internet for dozens of the faithful 

He may have been a member of a congregation of the church of Christ, but the Lord knows His own.......he most definitely was not a member of the Lords Church.....you aren't getting the concept.......God adds to His church those who obey.......men congregate together while alive on earth to worship and work together as part of living faithful lives......so he may have been in a congregation on earth, but unless he repented and turned back to God,he won't be there when Christ comes to claim His Bride, the Church......you can fool men, you can't fool God.....

30 minutes ago, eknights88 said:

My point is you can't. Because they are sadely missing 

in fact NIV removes 17 whole verses and over 64,000 words. 

Exactly right...happened in 1881 from the Westcott-Hort text.

C1, why in the world would the Holy Spirit put it in in the first place if He didn't need it?

And many of the passages do change the meaning.

Like I said, read Floyd Jones "Ripped from the Bible" and educate yourself.

3 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Exactly right...happened in 1881 from the Westcott-Hort text.

C1, why in the world would the Holy Spirit put it in in the first place if He didn't need it?

And many of the passages do change the meaning.

Like I said, read Floyd Jones "Ripped from the Bible" and educate yourself.

Show me which ones change the meaning, please......I read them all in several versions and the meaning was the same.......I don't need some uninspired man to educate me, I have The Word of God.......

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Your sins are washed away by the Blood of Christ...not water.  Baptism is a symbol of you dying to yourself and rising in Christ...doesn't save you.

You say baptism doesn't save us......The a Holy Spirit speaking through Peter disagrees......

1 Peter 3:21English Standard Version (ESV)

21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

15 minutes ago, Colmesneilfan1 said:

You say baptism doesn't save us......The a Holy Spirit speaking through Peter disagrees......

1 Peter 3:21English Standard Version (ESV)

21 Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

1 Peter 3:21New King James Version (NKJV)

21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Get an accurate Bible...it's not the water (referral to the removal of filth), but a good conscience toward God - Saved by Grace THROUGH the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Read "Ripped from the Bible".  Just check it out and make up your own mind.

Still didn't get an answer on the Church of Christ question so I'm clear on it...as a Baptist, Methodist or any other religion other than Church of Christ, can I be saved? 

1 minute ago, LumRaiderFan said:

21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Get an accurate Bible...it's not the water (referral to the removal of filth), but a good conscience toward God - Saved by Grace THROUGH the resurrection of God.

Both translations say the same thing.......both say very clearly that it is BAPTISM that saves us......both say very clearly that baptism is more than just getting wet.....both translations say that when we believe what Jeseus said, our conscience will lead us to obey His COMMAND to be baptized.........see the quotes from Colossians and Titus in previous posts.......they complement this passage nicely........

9 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Get an accurate Bible...it's not the water (referral to the removal of filth), but a good conscience toward God - Saved by Grace THROUGH the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Still didn't get an answer on the Church of Christ question so I'm clear on it...as a Baptist, Methodist or any other religion other than Church of Christ, can I be saved? 

Waiting on a YES or NO answer from Colmesneilfan on this?   Not another scripture with words omitted.  

8 minutes ago, Colmesneilfan1 said:

Both translations say the same thing.......both say very clearly that it is BAPTISM that saves us......both say very clearly that baptism is more than just getting wet.....both translations say that when we believe what Jeseus said, our conscience will lead us to obey His COMMAND to be baptized.........see the quotes from Colossians and Titus in previous posts.......they complement this passage nicely........

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 
not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I'll even use the ESV.  We are saved not by anything we do...you can't do anything to earn salvation...it is a gift.  Baptism is simply an obedient act that follows.

I'm about done here...would still like to get an answer to my question...as a Baptist,Methodist, Lutheran etc, am I saved