STAAR Test

Mr. Buddy Garrity

I'm not so sure what is wrong with STAAR.  My Son (who I am very proud of), HATES reading......Hates it....I have to stay on him to get his AR points.....but he has never had a problem with the STAAR test. He scores about average.  

Could it be I stay on him during the school year and make sure he has good grades? I only accept A's & B's at my house. I do not "make" him study if he brings home A's and B's, and he better get A's in anything non-academic. If he makes a C, it's 1 hour mandatory study time every night, and no week day extracurricular's. This formula seems to work for me.  I wonder how many parents don't make their kids study throughout the year, then complain when they cannot pass the STAAR? 

Edited by thetragichippy

I remember the TAAS test, looking back it was easy, I even got out of taking the writing part and still graduated (please dont ask how, I dont even know) 

I was not a "good student" by any means of the term. I would of much rather been doing anything but homework. My parents however, didn't accept bad grades......so I had to do homework on my own or because they made me. I did the absolute minimum I had to in order to stay unpunished. I, like you, always managed to pass.

I was not a "good student" by any means of the term. I would of much rather been doing anything but homework. My parents however, didn't accept bad grades......so I had to do homework on my own or because they made me. I did the absolute minimum I had to in order to stay unpunished. I, like you, always managed to pass.

Yea my mom would be halfway pissed when i made a B or C. With me I hated the actual school work but I loved tests, weird. I tried to get all my homework done while at school so I could go run around the streets of Beaumont. Some of that stuff inside the TAAS Test we never even covered in the actual curriculum. 

Yea my mom would be halfway pissed when i made a B or C. With me I hated the actual school work but I loved tests, weird. I tried to get all my homework done while at school so I could go run around the streets of Beaumont. Some of that stuff inside the TAAS Test we never even covered in the actual curriculum. 

that is when you make an "educated" guess;)

My 7th grader is and I refuse to use it as a crutch, but he is dyslexic. Really really struggles with reading. Does great in math and all his other classes. He actually brings home A's and B's. But when it comes time for Staar testing he has had so much pressure put on him since 5th grade he cant even relax. Passes every thing but the reading. Normally barley misses it. His 5th grade year they made him take it 3 times all while telling him if he doesn't pass then he doesn't go to the 6th grade. How does a kid that makes A's and B's all year long get held back.  Luckily he was sent to the next grade due to him having good grades. I cant even get him to relax and have a good time when its Staar reading test time..

My 7th grader is and I refuse to use it as a crutch, but he is dyslexic. Really really struggles with reading. Does great in math and all his other classes. He actually brings home A's and B's. But when it comes time for Staar testing he has had so much pressure put on him since 5th grade he cant even relax. Passes every thing but the reading. Normally barley misses it. His 5th grade year they made him take it 3 times all while telling him if he doesn't pass then he doesn't go to the 6th grade. How does a kid that makes A's and B's all year long get held back.  Luckily he was sent to the next grade due to him having good grades. I cant even get him to relax and have a good time when its Staar reading test time..

That is why it needs to get thrown in the ishcan.