AAU basketball

Bmt_4now

Definitely have to improve to keep up. The football thing will play a part as well, hearing there may be a few more Tiger bbball players on the field this year. No all the Tigers aren't on th e same AAU team, Dontre and Bruce are along with 4 or 5 more Tigers. They will have to play a little more as a team to have much benefit though. I hope the Tigers get to March to make that matchup a possibility.

If Silsbee comes back to Whataburger to defend their title, there's a chance they could meet there.

Here are my thoughts on Silsbee/Bridgeport right now.  Keep in mind that I'm a Bport homer and only saw Silsbee one time.  It looks like Silsbee thrives on pressure defense and a fast pace.  Silsbee is stacked with great athletes with good skill sets.  The problem with relying on super high pressure defense is that it's really successful against less skilled teams, but great teams will cut it up and score easily.  That's what you saw in the state final game.  Once Sterling got behind and had to try and press, it was over.  Bridgeport just went into fun-mode and tore it up.  Silsbee will not beat us based on their defense.  On the other side, Bridgeport plays phenomenal team defense.  Just look at the halftime scores by two high-scoring offenses in the state tournament.  The other difference it seems to me in reading here and seeing them once, is that Bport is a bit more skilled.  They finish at the rim, make free throws, and shoot a high percentage.  We are very efficient.  Also we have honestly had more success against athletic, high pressure teams than we do against slow-it-down, less athletic good teams.

Silsbee is a great team.  Their kids play really hard and all have great motors. They have a huge edge when it comes to depth which is great from a season perspective.  However, if Bridgeport avoids injury like we did this year, that edge isn't huge in the playoffs.  You can only play five at a time and our guys can play a full game without fatigue isues.  Now if injuries pile up, it's a different story.  Silsbees second five vs. Bport's second five would be a 40 point blowout likely.   I'm also not seeing anyone that can match up with the 6'6" Patterson kid, but haven't seen enough Silsbee to know.  I was VERY impressed with Silsbee at Whataburger and went and told Bridgeport people that I'd rather not see them. 

Last thing, throw out the first Kennedale loss.  Our two best guards did not play that game.  We started a kid that played JV the rest of the year and my own son who usually plays about 8-12 minutes a game played 32 that game.  Now the playoff game is a fair comparison where we won by 12.  Kennedale was 9 for their first 12 from three, so I'm pretty sure we took their best shot and din't really have a problem.  I think we are an 8-10 point favorite over Silsbee today, but a lot can change.  That's close enough that if we played Silsbee 10 times, we'd probably lose a 2-3 of them.  Much respect to the Silsbee team and I really hope we see each other next year.  I spoke with a few Silsbee fans when I saw them and they were extremely friendly and just seemed like good hoops fans.

I can agree with that, and that's why this matchup would be tough for us. We don't usually shoot the ball well and our defenseis what we live on so those things have to improve. We did beat Argyle in more of a half court game but that was a rarity. We would definitely have to be better in that aspect. Madison was s lot like us as far as depending a lot on athleticism but bigger. Our advantage would be our quickness but it alone wouldn't do the job. I hope it happens in San Antonio but there is a lot of work to be done between now and then. Oh and I wouldn't have counted that first game much anyway.

If Silsbee comes back to Whataburger to defend their title, there's a chance they could meet there.

Here are my thoughts on Silsbee/Bridgeport right now. Keep in mind that I'm a Bport homer and only saw Silsbee one time. It looks like Silsbee thrives on pressure defense and a fast pace. Silsbee is stacked with great athletes with good skill sets. The problem with relying on super high pressure defense is that it's really successful against less skilled teams, but great teams will cut it up and score easily. That's what you saw in the state final game. Once Sterling got behind and had to try and press, it was over. Bridgeport just went into fun-mode and tore it up. Silsbee will not beat us based on their defense. On the other side, Bridgeport plays phenomenal team defense. Just look at the halftime scores by two high-scoring offenses in the state tournament. The other difference it seems to me in reading here and seeing them once, is that Bport is a bit more skilled. They finish at the rim, make free throws, and shoot a high percentage. We are very efficient. Also we have honestly had more success against athletic, high pressure teams than we do against slow-it-down, less athletic good teams.

Silsbee is a great team. Their kids play really hard and all have great motors. They have a huge edge when it comes to depth which is great from a season perspective. However, if Bridgeport avoids injury like we did this year, that edge isn't huge in the playoffs. You can only play five at a time and our guys can play a full game without fatigue isues. Now if injuries pile up, it's a different story. Silsbees second five vs. Bport's second five would be a 40 point blowout likely. I'm also not seeing anyone that can match up with the 6'6" Patterson kid, but haven't seen enough Silsbee to know. I was VERY impressed with Silsbee at Whataburger and went and told Bridgeport people that I'd rather not see them.

Last thing, throw out the first Kennedale loss. Our two best guards did not play that game. We started a kid that played JV the rest of the year and my own son who usually plays about 8-12 minutes a game played 32 that game. Now the playoff game is a fair comparison where we won by 12. Kennedale was 9 for their first 12 from three, so I'm pretty sure we took their best shot and din't really have a problem. I think we are an 8-10 point favorite over Silsbee today, but a lot can change. That's close enough that if we played Silsbee 10 times, we'd probably lose a 2-3 of them. Much respect to the Silsbee team and I really hope we see each other next year. I spoke with a few Silsbee fans when I saw them and they were extremely friendly and just seemed like good hoops fans.

Great post and excellent observations.

I can agree with that, and that's why this matchup would be tough for us. We don't usually shoot the ball well and our defenseis what we live on so those things have to improve. We did beat Argyle in more of a half court game but that was a rarity. We would definitely have to be better in that aspect. Sterling was a lot like us as far as depending a lot on athleticism but bigger. Our advantage would be our quickness but it alone wouldn't do the job. I hope it happens in San Antonio but there is a lot of work to be done between now and then. Oh and I wouldn't have counted that first game much anyway.

Somehow I am always getting Sterling mixed up with Houston Madison, and I made that mistake here. I was not referring to Dallas Madison like it may have looked like but to Houston Sterling.

Somehow I am always getting Sterling mixed up with Houston Madison, and I made that mistake here. I was not referring to Dallas Madison like it may have looked like but to Houston Sterling.

Yeah, Sterling and Madison are built in the exact same structure/mold when they were first built (70's I think). I can see why you would get them confused being an outsider.  ;)

They did win the platinum bracket at the Ice Breaker but did play the Hoops. I have seen 3 EYBL teams so far, including the Hoops, and they were the weakest of the three.

I haven't heard too much about Hoops EYBL team this season. I can only imagine some of the things going on (again) this summer.  :ph34r:

I haven't heard too much about Hoops EYBL team this season. I can only imagine some of the things going on (again) this summer. :ph34r:

They had 6 players at the SIB. Looking to poach from other teams but certain people's "reputations" precede them. Down the pipeline, I think their 16u won the tournament. But the 15u looked pretty bad and went winless in pool play. The 14u got ran out of the gym by AJ's team in the finals of their division.

They had 6 players at the SIB. Looking to poach from other teams but certain people's "reputations" precede them. Down the pipeline, I think their 16u won the tournament. But the 15u looked pretty bad and went winless in pool play. The 14u got ran out of the gym by AJ's team in the finals of their division.

WOW!!! Somebody'd reputation is catching up to the mass. Too many options out there now for players to look at besides the Hoops.

So can the Defender UAA team claim the top spot in Houston from Hoops EYBL this year?

Best team in Houston is Texas pro. Played in the sib with 6 players. Had to pull out of the tourney after the first round of bracket play cause of players were hurt.