City orders church to shut down glee camp

LumRaiderFan

From the article:

“The facts are clear that the church made no monetary ‘profit’ from hosting the Glee Camp and had no intention to do so,” Sasser wrote in court documents. “The church’s motivation to host the Glee Camp was not profit-driven, but religious based.”

Furthermore, he said that even if the camp was a commercial enterprise, the city’s attempt to ban it is a violation of the Religious Land Use Act

As proof of the RLUA violation, Sasser said the city’s zoning law allows carnivals to operate in the same residential area.

“If you can have carnivals in that zone, then certainly you can have kids playing and singing music,” Sasser told me.

Why carnivals but no Glee club...and why now after two years?

Someone has an ax to grind.

The church may not of been profiting, but the instructors were.  Non profits pay salaries

I think it is minor and more political then anything else.....  Definitely political

Why can't they just move it to the church?  How about the carnivals that are allowed...same rules for all

Maybe the Church wants their 5 minutes of fame?  Maybe so...but doubtful

Sorry, but not a huge issue for me.  But probably is to the Glee club and the Church

The church may not of been profiting, but the instructors were.  Non profits pay salaries

I think it is minor and more political then anything else.....  Definitely political

Why can't they just move it to the church?  How about the carnivals that are allowed...same rules for all

Maybe the Church wants their 5 minutes of fame?  Maybe so...but doubtful

Sorry, but not a huge issue for me.  But probably is to the Glee club and the Church

"Sorry, but not a huge issue for me.  But probably is to the Glee club and the Church"

I don't disagree, it probably is a big deal to the Church, just not to me as I stated.

As for why Carnival and not Glee Club or Church? Who knows, but if the ordinance allows one but not the other, then someone should have the ordinance changed. As for now, it appears the ordinance is written a certain way and should be followed......I think.....if what I am reading is all factual.