Big Girl- You have repeatedly said it was a lie

stevenash

In all, American troops secretly reported finding roughly 5,000 chemical warheads, shells or aviation bombs, according to interviews with dozens of participants, Iraqi and American officials, and heavily redacted intelligence documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

The secrecy fit a pattern. Since the outset of the war, the scale of the United States’ encounters with chemical weapons in Iraq was neither publicly shared nor widely circulated within the military. These encounters carry worrisome implications now that the Islamic State, a Qaeda splinter group, controls much of the territory where the weapons were found.

The American government withheld word about its discoveries even from troops it sent into harm’s way and from military doctors. The government’s secrecy, victims and participants said, prevented troops in some of the war’s most dangerous jobs from receiving proper medical care and official recognition of their wounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0

In an article entitled WMD: A Primer by Eric Margolis three types of unconventional arms are called WMD: nuclear, chemical and biological.

Of those, the only true weapons of mass destruction are nuclear. The U.S., Russia, China, France, Britain, Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea, alone possess them. Japan could make nuclear weapons within 90 days.

Without specialized medium and long-range delivery systems (aircraft or missiles), nuclear weapons are useless, even suicidal.

In all, American troops secretly reported finding roughly 5,000 chemical warheads, shells or aviation bombs, according to interviews with dozens of participants, Iraqi and American officials, and heavily redacted intelligence documents obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

The secrecy fit a pattern. Since the outset of the war, the scale of the United States’ encounters with chemical weapons in Iraq was neither publicly shared nor widely circulated within the military. These encounters carry worrisome implications now that the Islamic State, a Qaeda splinter group, controls much of the territory where the weapons were found.

The American government withheld word about its discoveries even from troops it sent into harm’s way and from military doctors. The government’s secrecy, victims and participants said, prevented troops in some of the war’s most dangerous jobs from receiving proper medical care and official recognition of their wounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html?_r=0

Why was this information withheld? Why is it coming out just now?

The Bush administration could have saved itself countless troubles, and could have probably saved the Republican party from severe beatings at the polls in 2006 and again in 2008, had this information been made public. The fact that it wasn't made public, in spite of the obvious political damage its being withheld would do, leads me to one of two conclusions: either the information was withheld for strategic reasons of immense importance, or it was withheld for ulterior motives.

I have trouble believing it would be withheld because of ulterior motives, in part because no possible ulterior motives come to mind, and in part because ulterior motives are normally political in nature, and the politically savvy thing to do, obviously, would have been to release the information. That means that this information had to have been withheld for strategic reasons.

If it was withheld for strategic reasons, what are those strategic reasons, and why have they suddenly been disregarded?

I have a gut feeling this has something to do with Russia.

In an article entitled WMD: A Primer by Eric Margolis three types of unconventional arms are called WMD: nuclear, chemical and biological.

Of those, the only true weapons of mass destruction are nuclear. The U.S., Russia, China, France, Britain, Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea, alone possess them. Japan could make nuclear weapons within 90 days.

Without specialized medium and long-range delivery systems (aircraft or missiles), nuclear weapons are useless, even suicidal.

Yep, they would never think of suicide. 

Sorry, I do not consider mustard gas a weapon of mass detruction.

Look up WWI  and WWII and see how it was used there.  Also , look up on how Saddam used it on the Kurds and Iranians.  Of course  I know that won't change your opinion, but having a little historical context might enlighten you a little.

Look up WWI  and WWII and see how it was used there.  Also , look up on how Saddam used it on the Kurds and Iranians.  Of course  I know that won't change your opinion, but having a little historical context might enlighten you a little.

Bigdog- its obvious you are not aware that the left believes it is already enlightened and further enlightenment is not possible.

Don't try. Just don't try. Any other liberal poster on this site will have a real discussion, but with her, it's just not worth it.

I just now started reading these posts. It's hard for me to believe that anyone with a logical mind would think about mustard gas the way Big girl does. I wish she could have heard my grandfather tell of what he saw during WW1 in the European theater. Maybe then she would rethink her position on the matter.