what is wrong with these people?

Interesting.  I'm pretty conservative, but I don't know if I would have voted yes to this either. Although, I do agree with the idea about revoking it for ISIS - I feel like it could open the door for that one day maybe you can't be a citizen if you're Catholic, Baptist, gay, straight, etc. 

Interesting.  I'm pretty conservative, but I don't know if I would have voted yes to this either. Although, I do agree with the idea about revoking it for ISIS - I feel like it could open the door for that one day maybe you can't be a citizen if you're Catholic, Baptist, gay, straight, etc. 

Not so fast. If the article is correct (and I read it on more than one website including the Washington Post to see how credible it was) then current law says that if you go to a foreign nation and take up arms against the USA, you have constructively given up your citizenship. 

ISIS is not a country but they are rebels trying to be. It appears that by the a stretching of the law, Americans can go fight for ISIS against the USA or against our interests and because ISIS is not a country (yet), the law does not apply. I believe that the intent is to say that if you take up arms against the USA, you lose your citizenship period and not say that it only counts if you take up arms against the USA..... but it has to be attached to some known country. 

I don't care if you are Catholics, Muslim, gay or atheist. If you leave this country's borders and join a fighting force against the USA, you should lose your citizenship and I think that is all that the bill is asking. 

Under that idea, I am all for it because now it appears that traitors can get around the law by simply saying that ISIS is not a country but in every other aspect, it is the same as if they joined the Syrian or Iranian army. 

Not so fast. If the article is correct (and I read it on more than one website including the Washington Post to see how credible it was) then current law says that if you go to a foreign nation and take up arms against the USA, you have constructively given up your citizenship. 

ISIS is not a country but they are rebels trying to be. It appears that by the a stretching of the law, Americans can go fight for ISIS against the USA or against our interests and because ISIS is not a country (yet), the law does not apply. I believe that the intent is to say that if you take up arms against the USA, you lose your citizenship period and not say that it only counts if you take up arms against the USA..... but it has to be attached to some known country. 

I don't care if you are Catholics, Muslim, gay or atheist. If you leave this country's borders and join a fighting force against the USA, you should lose your citizenship and I think that is all that the bill is asking. 

Under that idea, I am all for it because now it appears that traitors can get around the law by simply saying that ISIS is not a country but in every other aspect, it is the same as if they joined the Syrian or Iranian army. 

I can't agree with the red in it's current state, however, you seem to clear it up in the black by stating "If you leave this country", and with that I do agree.

The first seems to limit US citizens the right to stand against it's government in the homeland as well, in fear of losing your citizenship.

I can't agree with the red in it's current state, however, you seem to clear it up in the black by stating "If you leave this country", and with that I do agree.

The first seems to limit US citizens the right to stand against it's government in the homeland as well, in fear of losing your citizenship.

Yep. You have to read the entire statement to see the intent and not a single sentence.... which when it happens in the media we call it taking something out of context. 

It is not meant for people protesting here even with arms as they have a constitutional right to plea their case in court.  For people that leave this country and become a foreign combatant should be no rights remaining and they have made a de facto statement giving up their citizenship or at least that should be the law. Apparently right now it only applies if they join another "country's" military and not a free lance or mercenary fighter for the same reason. It is a loophole in the law and I think Cruz tried to rectify it. If that was the intent (and I believe it was) then this law should be passed and it really just clarifies current law.