Lumberton vs. Hamshire-Fannett Game Thread/H-F wins 44-41!

WOSgrad

The ole "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory" saying.  This is what happens when you are in the midst of a 20 something game losing streak... you find ways to lose games.  Anyway, dont know how the rest of the schedule looks but at least they were competitive in this one.  Going to take a lot of work and patience to turn the program around.  Keep your head up and keep working hard and before you know it, you will start getting the results you want in the end.  Either that or schedule sabine pass in the preseason.  Know where you come from, because you cant get to where you want to go if you dont know where you come from.  However hard you think you were working the last couple of seasons wasnt enough... you are not working hard enough now.  If you want to change it, do more, because its not enough.  Good luck Raiders... I will leave you with this... its a quote from Jim Valvano who was a basketball coach at NC State and it goes something like this... "Dont give up, Dont ever give up".  I would encourage all of you to watch the whole speech.  

Wow, this turned out to be as advertized "a real barn burner"; what a way to kick off SETX Hichschool FB. For those HF fans that left early, let this serve notice that HF has the capability of making a come back when the chips are down. That fumble at the end, talk about a gift from God. I think both teams were even in the turn over stats. I am not sure what's in the water up there in Lumberton but talk about a massive offensive line, they have some real "slobber knockers" up front. Great effort from both squads and coaches, game ball definitly goes to Kendrick King, he is very entertaining too watch. I wish I had a recording of the Lumberton Coach after his kicker, kicked the ball towards Kendrick, he yelled "do not kick it too #2, I don't care what you do, just don't kick it too #2"  . That was great, and will be one of my most memorable thoughts of this season. I wish all of the injured players God speed on their recoveries and good luck to both Teams next week.

Two really dynamic offenses going at it last night. Both these teams need to eliminate mistakes and substantially tighten up their defenses. If they can do that, a good season lies ahead. H-F WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFFS. Good luck to both teams. 

With 4 teams going to the playoffs in a 5 team district, odds are HF (and the other 4 teams) have an excellent chance of making the playoffs. I am not sure this is a case of two dynamic offenses rather than two very average defenses.  Football season is back and there will be a lot of water under the bridge before we see how this shakes out! B)

Lumberton looks to be a little snake bit at the moment trying to get the monkey off their back. The effort is definitely there though. There were 5 or 6 plays toward the end of this game that had ONE of them went Lumberton's way, the Raiders would have secured a victory. HF threw an interception fairly deep in Lumberton's end of the field on 3rd and very long with around 5 minutes left with Lumberton up by I believe 11. The ball was knocked lose from the defender, HF recovered, and had the ball 1st and ten and went on to score a touchdown. Of course the fumbled exchange by Lumberton with about a minute left in the game was one. On the game winning touchdown drive, a Lumberton defender dropped what would have been a game ending interception right in the stomach. There was also a questionable fumble/incompletion by the HF qb that would have ended the game on that same drive. Lastly, there was a dropped deep pass on the second to last play that would have put Lumberton in range for a game tying field goal with a second remaining. Bottom line is Lumberton needed one of these plays to fall their way and none of them did. I knew Lumberton DID NOT want to put the ball back in young Mr. King's hands and give him a chance to make something happen. He is an exceptional athlete and was THE difference in the game no offence to the HF team. The young Raiders need to keep their heads up and continue to put forth the fight and effort they showed last night and these plays WILL start falling their way eventually. Good luck and good health to both teams throughout the season!

dang good game from 2 programs that look to be on the rise. shame my raiders couldn't pull it off. what a way to start the high school football season! this is a prime example that you have to play ball for the full 48 minutes.on another note, i was at the game, and i don't recall any post game scuffles from either team. the teams shook hands and went they're separate ways. water under the bus now, raiders have to put it behind them and focus on getting ready for BC. 

Out coached really !!! Give me a break!!! If not for the qb making plays, a lot of the plays for HF would not have gone for much. Oh by the way lets go compare records and history of the 2 coaches . Yes HF won and did good but not out coached please! Lets not get crazy . And nothing against coach Harris just a response to the post.

Really. A couple of coaching moves either way was the difference in the game. I dont need to compare history, I am going by what happened last night, and on this day it was OUTCOACHED. Lucky HF didn't have a passing game or they might have scored 60. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers head13. Just wanted to praise the coaching staff of HF.

Not mad at all. You commented on my post so I replied. I would think you could run a minute off the clock even if the other team had one timeout left.

Wasn't it a third down play? They needed a first to run out the clock.
Coaches don't fumble. So not sure why its all on coaching. Teams with long losing streaks, tend not to make all those plays you mentioned earlier. It's not snake bitten, it's like the Coach Denny Green said "they are who we thought they were!" I keep hearing about all this talent coming up in Lumberton, but all I can remember is that last year PNG Varsity thru Fresh beat Lumberton something like 140-7. That fact alone makes me question wheres the talent?

They had two timeouts, it was 2nd and 13 and clock was stopped because of illegal motion on the offense, so they had to get a first down to run clock out. To keep the ball out of #2's hands. I thought Lumberton coaches had the players where they needed to be at with the exception if the first qtr trick play. I just didn't think the Lumberton boys executed the plays well in the last 4 minutes if the game. I thought Lumberton has some good young talent just no depth at the positions. A lot of them playing both ways. Last year during the PNG series about 10 sophomores on varsity. That is the talent everybody is talking about. Those are the ones playing both ways this year as juniors.

They had two timeouts, it was 2nd and 13 and clock was stopped because of illegal motion on the offense, so they had to get a first down to run clock out. To keep the ball out of #2's hands. I thought Lumberton coaches had the players where they needed to be at with the exception if the first qtr trick play. I just didn't think the Lumberton boys executed the plays well in the last 4 minutes if the game. I thought Lumberton has some good young talent just no depth at the positions. A lot of them playing both ways. Last year during the PNG series about 10 sophomores on varsity. That is the talent everybody is talking about. Those are the ones playing both ways this year as juniors.

Um...you think that was a senior laden PNG team last year. Think again. Lot of Juniors and several Sophomores. The 2014 Indians also are not senior heavy. Great mix this year of Srs Jrs and a handful of Sophs.
Just not sure the Lumberton talent is what Lumberton expects it to be.
I hope they turn it around because when the LTrain was rolling you guys made this district more fun with an exciting fan base.