How bout some middle school football

If your competition sucks then you're right, size doesn't matter. When North Shore and Dayton are on your schedule it matters a lot. A 5-10 175 lb kid is going to get the nod over 5-5 125lb kid ALL day long if athleticism is equal. That's just the way it is, middle school and beyond. Do you need to be big? Of course not but when you play schools with 400-500 kids in a single grade you won't see much of that small guy throwing big guy around otherwise that kid is probably on the B team.

hmm, WOS had pretty tough competition.  Silsbee, PNG, Orangefield, Jasper, etc.  My son was on A team playing against A team.  If there are 400 - 500 kids in each grade, then they wouldn't be playing against WOS anyway as that would put them into a higher ranking of school. 

hmm, WOS had pretty tough competition.  Silsbee, PNG, Orangefield, Jasper, etc.  My son was on A team playing against A team.  If there are 400 - 500 kids in each grade, then they wouldn't be playing against WOS anyway as that would put them into a higher ranking of school.

That's why I was saying the size doesn't matter comment is a little erroneous. Actually the bigger players that are good dominate even more at the smaller classes because there's less of them to matchup, especially in middle school. Those teams you named other than PNG probably 100-200 kids in a grade, last year my son's team had over 100 football players alone on it. With that many kids to choose from you don't get a lot of little guys making big guys fly around is all I was saying.

My oldest boy will be playing 8th grade ball for Vidor this year.  Last year they had the kids split in three teams so its hard to say how they will do.  His team started out 0-3 and then went 3-0 the last three games.  They are a scrappy bunch with a few solid skill players.  The 7th grade group coming up looks to be a solid group of players.  It should be a great season of Tuesday Night Lights!

• 1 month later...

Well BH did split their middle schools this year, so we will be going from 2 teams per grade to 4 teams which should water us down quite a bit. On the good side we will have more kids getting play time which should only make us better as we transition to high school. My Oldest will be playing for the 7th South this year (A or B hasn't been decided yet). So BH will have a 7th South A & B, 7th North A & B, 8th South A & B and 8th North A & B.... That's a lot of kids playing ball, but I heard last year they had like 70 kids on the 7th B !!! My sons first game is 9/16 vs. Baytown Gentry

If we can keep everyone healthy throughout the season, I think the little 8th grade Cubs will be undefeated district champs just like the varsity is going to be. Their old head coach is now the jv head coach so we'll see what we look like in the opener on 9/16 against Cedar Bayou at Sterling High School. Lots of size spread across the board and a couple of move-ins to help out. Hopefully they can put together a season like the 8th graders did last year.