How about rifles?

westend1

Like the other thread, a "favorite" weapon or an all around like you can only have one the rest of your life and it has to be sufficient for all needs?

All around would have to be some kind of semi-auto with a mid performance round with readily accessible ammo that doesn't break the bank. AN AR or other type of platform with any number of calibers might fit that. It can be very accurate out to several hundred yards and can fit almost any role. 

A single favorite for a specific purpose and some what all around hunting cartridge, the 22-250 might be the best. It certainly isn't cheap and not always as easy to come by but the performance can be great. The .22 caliber weapons are often overlooked or criticized by many people as too small but with the correct bullet, they are awesome for big game out to long ranges. The longest shot that I killed a whitetail (only 118 yards) with was a 62 grain .223 and he made it about three steps and the .223 is the same bullet with a little less oomph than the 22-250. The Ruger is a quality gun and has its following. I don't like single shot rifles but I am not sure why. I have never had the need for a follow up shot on a single animal but for a pack of pigs.................... 

Sentimental favorite? The M1 Garand. And yes, I own one.

Practical favorite? The AR-15. Although the AK-47 may take that position if I ever get to spend some quality time with one.

I haven't had a chance to shoot either one but I'm sure they are fun.  A friend of mine was able to shoot a Barrett .50. I would love to shoot a gatling gun!