Houston Astros-2017 World Champs

I tend  to doubt that Houston - under current management - is going to be willing the make the financial commitment that will be required to get to the World Series anytime in the near future.  I did get my hopes up when they won the 7 or 8 games in a row but now we are back to the "normal" Astro's baseball of late.  While I am by no means an expert on the professional baseball world it looks like it will be another long year for the 'stros.  

If the Astros are to succeed 3 things will have to happen: (1) Most of the young guns brought in will have to become above average major league players, (2) When these young players do succeed the Astros will have to be willing to reward them with competitive contracts (this is where I think they will fail), and they will have to be almost perfect in their 1st round selections the next few years.   

While I hope I am wrong they did let go a few good young players last year to beef up their minor league system - that might help in he long run but not many teams have made the WS and not hit the free agent market early and often.

On a note on the artilcle: While George Springers HR's are impressive his .240 BA is less than desirable.  

I tend to doubt that Houston - under current management - is going to be willing the make the financial commitment that will be required to get to the World Series anytime in the near future. I did get my hopes up when they won the 7 or 8 games in a row but now we are back to the "normal" Astro's baseball of late. While I am by no means an expert on the professional baseball world it looks like it will be another long year for the 'stros.

If the Astros are to succeed 3 things will have to happen: (1) Most of the young guns brought in will have to become above average major league players, (2) When these young players do succeed the Astros will have to be willing to reward them with competitive contracts (this is where I think they will fail), and they will have to be almost perfect in their 1st round selections the next few years.

While I hope I am wrong they did let go a few good young players last year to beef up their minor league system - that might help in he long run but not many teams have made the WS and not hit the free agent market early and often.

On a note on the artilcle: While George Springers HR's are impressive his .240 BA is less than desirable.

Well being that they have only been under the current management team during this rebuilding phase, I have no idea how anyone could make the assumption that current management will not spend money when the time is right. When your organization is as bad top to bottom as it was left by Drayton Mclane there is only one "quick" fix, and that is a TOTAL rebuild. They were horrible at the major and minor league level and had to completely start over. As far as having to hit on all their first round draft picks, that tells me you do not follow their minor league system at all, so you may want to look into it before making bold claims such as that. They are doing the only thing they could do and as long as the majority of their top prospects don't bust, they will be a good team soon enough. If you don't think a team can make and win World Series without relying on the free agent maket, see the St Louis Cardinals and San Fransico Giants who have both won multiple championships recently with mostly home grown players. Everyone bashed the Cardinals for letting Pujols walk and they got the last laugh. If you guys truly think championships are bought you do not watch much baseball. The only teams with that kind of money are the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, and only the Red Sox and Yankees were successful at it and even their cores were homegrown players.

Every time they show Astros highlights on ESPN they're dancing in the dugout but getting out-played and out-managed on the diamond, quite hilarious to me.

Actually since the beginning of May when they started bringing players up and getting them accustomed to the big leagues they have played pretty close to .500 ball. That's a pretty good job with as young of a team as they have.

Also Oldtimer George Springer value is and always has been in his power and on base percentage, he was never expected to hit for a high average. However what he has done in his first 60 or so games has very little inclination to what he will do over his career. Lots of very good hitter started out slowly to their careers until they adjusted to major league pitching.

Well being that they have only been under the current management team during this rebuilding phase, I have no idea how anyone could make the assumption that current management will not spend money when the time is right. When your organization is as bad top to bottom as it was left by Drayton Mclane there is only one "quick" fix, and that is a TOTAL rebuild. They were horrible at the major and minor league level and had to completely start over. As far as having to hit on all their first round draft picks, that tells me you do not follow their minor league system at all, so you may want to look into it before making bold claims such as that. They are doing the only thing they could do and as long as the majority of their top prospects don't bust, they will be a good team soon enough. If you don't think a team can make and win World Series without relying on the free agent maket, see the St Louis Cardinals and San Fransico Giants who have both won multiple championships recently with mostly home grown players. Everyone bashed the Cardinals for letting Pujols walk and they got the last laugh. If you guys truly think championships are bought you do not watch much baseball. The only teams with that kind of money are the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, and only the Red Sox and Yankees were successful at it and even their cores were homegrown players.

I will give you you have made many good points here - and as I have stated I HOPE I am wrong.

But I have followed professional sports for many years and have seen many teams go through the "rebuilding era" and none that I can recall have had 3 100+ losing seasons back to back - and if this season continues as it has they will be bumping 100 losses again.

They have just 3 players batting over .260 and just 4 batting outside of the .230's - not exactly a hitting machine.  They do appear to have some decent young arms that are keeping them in some games.  Time will tell if it is youthful spirit that is keeping them in some games or major league talent - that will be determined in the 2nd half of this season.

I am a Astro supporter and fan and attend many games each year - but I am also a realist. 

I will give you you have made many good points here - and as I have stated I HOPE I am wrong.

But I have followed professional sports for many years and have seen many teams go through the "rebuilding era" and none that I can recall have had 3 100+ losing seasons back to back - and if this season continues as it has they will be bumping 100 losses again.

They have just 3 players batting over .260 and just 4 batting outside of the .230's - not exactly a hitting machine. They do appear to have some decent young arms that are keeping them in some games. Time will tell if it is youthful spirit that is keeping them in some games or major league talent - that will be determined in the 2nd half of this season.

I am a Astro supporter and fan and attend many games each year - but I am also a realist.

I believe I'm a realist as well. I'm not saying that this rebuilding effort is going to work, but the had no other choice with the shape they were in. I also believe they will supplement the holes they have after the bulk of the talent has arrived with the free agents that are available and not extremely over priced. As far as the 3-100 loss seasons, you are correct it hasn't been done before because most teams take the stay reasonably competitive approach to rebuilding and it takes 10 years, or more in the case of the Pirates to get back to winning. Houston took the fire sale approach and have rebuilt the minor leagues which is the foundation of a good Major League baseball team in 3 years. You also cannot compare all teams the same in the sense that the Astros were in probably the worst shape any franchise had ever been in when they were sold. They were literally barren in the minor and major leagues. I for one totally agree with the approach they took, suck it up for a few years and be terrible but come back with a totally rebuilt system in just a matter of a few years. Only time will tell if it results in a championship caliber team, but reguardless I believe they will be in better shape than they were when they took over the team. If you want to place blame, place it on the previous owner who got them to that point and let this leadership group finish their plan before you give them an "F".

Also I don't know if you care or not, but following the minor leagues is a good way to feel good about what is happening. There are several websites that you can keep up with them on my favorite being the crawfishboxes, if your interested you can follow the development of these guys there. I want a winner as much as anyone, but baseball is different than any other sport in that most guys are drafted and developed over 4-5 years before they are ready for the major leagues. When you draft once a year and most of the impact players are all gone in the first round it's hard to fix a baseball team quickly. This is why they had to trade every available asset they had to turn into 2 or 3 guys who may be decent players. That's done, now it's time to sit back and wait on them to develop and hope more succeed than fail.

Oh and about your batting average comment go check out the Oakland Athletics batting averages. They currently have the best record in baseball and have won the American League west the last 2 seasons. I love a high batting average as much as anyone, but there are many more facets of the game other than batting average. If you will notice the guys who build these teams for a living care much more about your OPS, which is on base percentage plus slugging percentage, than they do about you batting average. As well as you defense and other things as well. Sure everyone would love to have 9 guys batting .300 with a .400 on base percentage and 35 home runs, but it just isn't gonna happen.

Sports10 - I will check the minor league information as you are right I have not followed that to see the progress there. Like I said I hope you are right and that I am just a pessimist - time will tell.

Will still root for them regardless or the outcome.

I hope I'm right too, and I'm not trying to be a jackass, it just gets old listening to people bash them when they truly have no idea what is going on. Thank you for at least listening to the points I brought up and here's to hoping they hit on some really good players and make it back to being fun to watch. I don't even have to have a championship, I'll just take the late 90's success back.

Just received my SI and read the complete article and they did make some compelling points on the complete rebuilding process and how they are handling the process and the handling of the young talent as well as why they have not gone after high dollar free agents.  While it did all sound good the impression that I got was if this works out and if that works out then they will be successful.  Will be interesting if their plan works out like they hope it will.

Only flaw i count really point to is that players all develop at different paces and they appear to assume that all the young guns will mature and develop together.

Hope these guys are as good a SI paints then to be - would love the see the WS in Houston in 2017.