TEA withholds accreditation of BISD

PhatMack19

RECOGNIZED…………….

.... as a failure. 

I remember all the gloating a few months ago because some magazine rated BISD as something like one of the top 10 districts in the nation. Now it appears as though they are the only district in the entire state that has not been accredited. 

.... as a failure. 

I remember all the gloating a few months ago because some magazine rated BISD as something like one of the top 10 districts in the nation. Now it appears as though they are the only district in the entire state that has not been accredited. 

just goes to show you how the media and twist any story around……..

Hey wait.... maybe Beaumont is that good. I see that Port Arthur just had a magazine (must be the same magazine) rate that city as one of the top 5 small cities in Texas to live in.

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/24883432/port-arthur-named-5th-best-small-texas-city

Maybe we are just missing the point on BISD and they are really awesome.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Many people that live in Bridge City, Lumberton, Orangefield and ect. still must drive to Port Arthur, Beaumont and Orange to make a living.

What we need to be looking at is the overall growth rate of the Beamount/PA metro area (Golden Triangle).  That growth is anemic at best in a state that is setting the pace for population and economic growth in the USA!!  Growth of the metro area is going to be dependant on the major population centers of our area ie....Beaumont and to a lesser extent PA and Orange.  While not the single factors, the political and educational conditions of our areas are not condusive to economic expansion and relocation.  What little bit of growth that has happened is seen in the small suburbs of the region, with Lumberton being the biggest benefactor of population growth.  That is by no means an indication of growth in the area but rather a sign of the problems of our larger cities!!!

.... as a failure. 

Gloating? It sure wasn't on this forum.

Many people that live in Bridge City, Lumberton, Orangefield and ect. still must drive to Port Arthur, Beaumont and Orange to make a living.

You bet they do. 

They want to live in a reasonably peaceful environment and have their kids actually graduate school with the ability to read and write basic English. They will drive where they have to in order to earn a living and then return to their safer haven. 

But not so long many of those people that live in BC, Lumberton, Orangefield, etc., lived in Beaumont, PA and Orange. They didn't leave the city, the city and school districts left them.

Well, Zenobia Bush defends BISD on the grounds that all of this is racism. 

Bush says that it isn't corruption but racism that is the problem.

I guess it was racism and not corruption that allowed Calvin Williams to bilk BISD for $4 million... then after he was convicted, rehire him. I guess it is racism and not corruption where the federal courts ruled against BISD on their election. I guess it is racism and not corruption where some BISD administrators are now on leave after raids by the FB (under control of Obama and Eric Holder) make it appears as though they are scamming hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars from the district. I guess it is racism and not corruption that might cause the TEA to take over the district soon. I guess it is racism and not corruption that has allowed BISD to be the only district in the state to not receive accreditation. I guess it is racism and not corruption where several thousand dollars are missing from the athletic booster club. I guess it is .................

From KBMT:

"But not everyone wants Chargois to step down, several people spoke in his support, including Trustee Zenobia Bush, who says the district's problems don't stem from corruption, but racism."

Yep, no problems here except racism. I guess when all other cards in the deck fail........... 

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/25034780/bisd-board-trustee-blames-division-on-racism-not-corrupton

Chargois is in a pickle......

In one aspect I sympathize with him(he walked into a mess)....but on the other, it appears he played the favorites/political game just like everyone else. He did not take swift action against the public figures.....had he fired Jessi Haynes, he would be in much better shape right now.

It  does not look like he was smart enough to see his future and everything blowing up around him.....

You bet they do. 

They want to live in a reasonably peaceful environment and have their kids actually graduate school with the ability to read and write basic English. They will drive where they have to in order to earn a living and then return to their safer haven. 

But not so long many of those people that live in BC, Lumberton, Orangefield, etc., lived in Beaumont, PA and Orange. They didn't leave the city, the city and school districts left them.

Port Neches and Nederland have dropped in population since 2010 also, I guess these two cities are no longer safe either. Vidors pop. has been dwindling since the 2000 census also.

Port Neches and Nederland have dropped in population since 2010 also, I guess these two cities are no longer safe either. Vidors pop. has been dwindling since the 2000 census also.

I did not mention Mid-County but if you want.....

Yes, Nederland dropped less than 1% or 150 people according to the 2000/2010 US Census.  

Port Neches and Groves together lost 285 people between the two cities of a combined population of 29,000. 

Mid-County with a total of 47,000 people lost a grand total of 435 from 2000 to 2010 or about 14 people per year per city. Stunning right, around one person per month. Port Arthur on the other hand with about 54,000 or not much more than Mid-County, lost almost 4,000. 

Your point... remembering that only you brought up Mid-County which I grant will shrink as PA encroaches on them. 

Also remember this is a school districts thread, not of city size. Mid-County in the two high schools has a 2013 enrollment of over 2,900 and PA with 7,000 more people in the city has only 2,270 students. Hmmm... the smaller Mid-County has 600+ more students than the larger PA? 

It looks like retired people might be moving out or dying off in Mid-County (barely) but not the families with students. 

The population of Lumberton on the other hand has increased more than 35% while Orange with now only 18,000 or barely more than Nederland has lost 1,500+. 

And if you further want to toy with numbers, BISD showed a total HS population between the three high schools of 5,432 students. Beaumont has a population of 118,200 or about 2.5 times the size of Mid-County. At that rate, BISD should have 2.5 times as many students as the two Mid-County school or about 7,250 students. 

Hmmm.... for some reason they are almost 2,000 students short. 

Care to compare any more numbers?

• 2 weeks later...