20-4A Thoughts

[quote name="BEARCAT" post="1422121" timestamp="1375888107"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1422109#msg1422109 date=1375886903]
[quote author=BEARCAT link=topic=113177.msg1422084#msg1422084 date=1375882309]
LCM is returning 3 all district players and 6 to 7 seniors.  They should be the favorite for the 4th spot.  If they can take care of the ball and cut down on the turnovers I think they could suprise some people and maybe finish in 3rd.
[/quote] You meant 4th, right?  Or do you seriously expect to beat out Nederland this year? Didn't realize you guys had 6-7 seniors this year. It could be possible.
[/quote]

Does that mean you have Central and Ozen automatically sloted for 1 and 2?  :) Getting a win against Ned. at home would be an upset but I think we have a shot.  Got to have goals right?
[/quote] (YES!)  ;D  At least you have realistic goals  ;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1422125" timestamp="1375888801"]
[quote author=BEARCAT link=topic=113177.msg1422121#msg1422121 date=1375888107]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1422109#msg1422109 date=1375886903]
LCM is returning 3 all district players and 6 to 7 seniors.  They should be the favorite for the 4th spot.  If they can take care of the ball and cut down on the turnovers I think they could suprise some people and maybe finish in 3rd.
[/quote] You meant 4th, right?  Or do you seriously expect to beat out Nederland this year? Didn't realize you guys had 6-7 seniors this year. It could be possible.
[/quote]

Does that mean you have Central and Ozen automatically sloted for 1 and 2?  :) Getting a win against Ned. at home would be an upset but I think we have a shot.  Got to have goals right?
[/quote]Over the past few seasons, LCM has come close to defeating both Ned and Central. The Bear Den is no easy place to win. Having so much experience should help even more. Ned will be young this year as far as varsity Experience goes. Only one starter, and I believe 4 or 5 returning Lettermen.
[/quote] ::) Beginning to sound like " those people " over in Sour Lake. Setting it up for the excuses in case expectations are not met. Good strategy.

Lumberton got a new athletic director and boys basketball coach this summer.  Seems to be a new attitude amongst the boys.  I know they have worked hard and played a lot of basketball this year.  Got shooters.  Just have to take care of the ball and clean the boards to have a chance for that last playoff spot.  We will see.  LCM has some good players coming back.  Will be a tough out for anyone.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1422137" timestamp="1375889949"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=113177.msg1422125#msg1422125 date=1375888801]
[/quote]

[/quote]Over the past few seasons, LCM has come close to defeating both Ned and Central. The Bear Den is no easy place to win. Having so much experience should help even more. Ned will be young this year as far as varsity Experience goes. Only one starter, and I believe 4 or 5 returning Lettermen.
[/quote] ::) Beginning to sound like " those people " over in Sour Lake. Setting it up for the excuses in case expectations are not met. Good strategy.
[/quote]Learned that from an Ozen supporter from last season. If I remember correctly, I remember this Ozen supporter stating that Ozen was young, inexperienced, and had a lot to prove. Now...who could that poster from Ozen be?? ;D

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1422401" timestamp="1375916109"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1422137#msg1422137 date=1375889949]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=113177.msg1422125#msg1422125 date=1375888801]
[/quote]

[/quote]Learned that from an Ozen supporter from last season. If I remember correctly, I remember this Ozen supporter stating that Ozen was young, inexperienced, and had a lot to prove. Now...who could that poster from Ozen be?? ;D
[/quote] Busted!

Reliable sources says Toe-Toe will be a Jag this season! Good for Central's playoff run! They should be very good again this year! Ozen should also be very good and balanced with good ball handlers, shooters and deapth on the blocks! It's funny how now-a-days there would be a conversation of whether these schools could beat Nederland for a District Title? They have some good players and a good head Coach but has Central & Ozen kids/coaches fallin' off that much? When I played it was an automatic 20 to 30 point victory because we played hard, smart, did what we were told to do and simply refused to loose! Oh, I get it the rolls have reversed, it's not all about atheleticism because Central & Ozen definetly have that! Seriosly though, if these players mindset and work-ethic change the only conversation for 20-4a District would be who will be the 3rd & 4th playoff teams after Central & Ozen! Jumping doesn't assure rebounds as much as blocking-out!

[quote name="JRidge" post="1422924" timestamp="1376056598"]
Reliable sources says Tot-Toe will be a Jag this season! Good for Central's playoff run! They should be very good again this year! Ozen should also be very good and balanced with good ball handlers, shooters and deapth on the blocks! It's funny how now-a-days there would be a conversation of whether these schools could beat Nederland for a District Title? They have some good players and a good head Coach but has Central & Ozen kids/coaches fallin' off that much? When I played it was an automatic 20 to 30 point victory because we played hard, smart, did what we were told to do and simply refused to loose! Oh, I get it the rolls have reversed, it's not all about atheleticism because Central & Ozen definetly have that! Seriosly though, if these players mindset and work-ethic change the only conversation for 20-4a District would be who will be the 3rd & 4th playoff teams after Central & Ozen! Jumping doesn't assure rebounds as much as blocking-out!
[/quote]Yep, all the Genesis Academy (VA) kids either left last night or leaving today for orientation this weekend.

Reliable sources says Toe-Toe will be a Jag this season! Good for Central's playoff run! They should be very good again this year! Ozen should also be very good and balanced with good ball handlers, shooters and deapth on the blocks! It's funny how now-a-days there would be a conversation of whether these schools could beat Nederland for a District Title? They have some good players and a good head Coach but has Central & Ozen kids/coaches fallin' off that much? When I played it was an automatic 20 to 30 point victory because we played hard, smart, did what we were told to do and simply refused to loose! Oh, I get it the rolls have reversed, it's not all about atheleticism because Central & Ozen definetly have that! Seriosly though, if these players mindset and work-ethic change the only conversation for 20-4a District would be who will be the 3rd & 4th playoff teams after Central & Ozen! Jumping doesn't assure rebounds as much as blocking-out!
[/quote] I'm glad my little cousin is staying. I don't wanna hear any excuses from Central alums this year  :D

[/quote]If Toe-Toe stays, I predict that Central will run the table in district. If not, it's anybody's crown to win.

Don't want it give ALL of the credit to Coach English, BUT he did the same thing in Vidor that he has done here in Nederland. Vidor never had a winning record before E arrived, and I don't believe they've had one since he left. Nederland's Bball program use to last 4-5 months. Now it's a 12 month program. The kids are motivated by him to practice/play year round. I don't think the kids are THAT much different/better/more talented than they use to be. They just believe they can win through his guidance, motivation, coaching, and leadership. Another strong class of kids (Sophomore group) will hopefully continue that competitiveness. They have the ability, but I'm not sure if they have the focus or drive, YET! It's too early to tell.

[/quote] "but has [s]Central[/s] & Ozen kids/coaches fallin' off that much? " JRidge, let me ask you a question in order to help answer your question  ;) Okay, you watch Ozen players during their games, do they:
1. Play hard?  2. Do they play smart?    3. Do what they are told to do?  4. Do they refuse to loose?

Just asking your opinion.  ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1422932" timestamp="1376057000"]
[quote author=JRidge link=topic=113177.msg1422924#msg1422924 date=1376056598]
[/quote] I'm glad my little cousin is staying. I don't wanna hear any excuses from Central alums this year  :D
[/quote]Aww shoot...  ;D

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1422940" timestamp="1376058459"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1422932#msg1422932 date=1376057000]
[/quote]Aww shoot...  ;D
[/quote]  ;) ;D

I really feel they do all of these things at times! Consistency and team cohesiveness is what is missing in my opionion! I do feel that Ozen will be 20-4a District Champs! There Coaches will have to step their game up to win the big games and I truely believe there guard depth & play is ahead of most teams they will face! Boatner & Wyngard will be better on the block this year and the twins will be very helpful this year along with the other remaining 4 big men they will have available to help wear down other teams big men! Jodan, Jared, DeMascus, Ryan, Boyd can all light it up, making it difficult to contain one person! They will "Turn It Up!" Don't Believe me just watch! And Dove, I know you will be watching! ;) 
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1422937" timestamp="1376057758"]
[/quote] "but has [s]Central[/s] & Ozen kids/coaches fallin' off that much? " JRidge, let me ask you a question in order to help answer your question  ;) Okay, you watch Ozen players during their games, do they:
1. Play hard?  2. Do they play smart?    3. Do what they are told to do?  4. Do they refuse to loose?

[/quote]

[quote name="JRidge" post="1423098" timestamp="1376081649"]
I really feel they do all of these things at times! Consistency and team cohesiveness is what is missing in my opionion! I do feel that Ozen will be 20-4a District Champs! There Coaches will have to step their game up to win the big games and I truely believe there guard depth & play is ahead of most teams they will face! Boatner & Wyngard will be better on the block this year and the twins will be very helpful this year along with the other remaining 4 big men they will have available to help wear down other teams big men! Jodan, Jared, DeMascus, Ryan, Boyd can all light it up, making it difficult to contain one person! They will "Turn It Up!" Don't Believe me just watch! And Dove, I know you will be watching! ;) 
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1422937#msg1422937 date=1376057758]

[/quote]
[/quote]  ;)

I believe both programs will reach their potential through the growing pains. Experience is the best teacher.
Although I still believe too many of the kids spend way too much time on the summer circrcuit & not enough time working on their weaknesses. The 3 point shot is the worst shot in basketball, but if you venture out to your pee wee league games 7-10 yr olds jack 'em up like layups. The laws of basketball says even your greatest hall of famers will only shoot 50% from the field (that was back in the day) and even less from 3 pt area.  In today's basketball the 2pt & 3 pt are separated to give an illusion these guys can shoot.  My advice to any kid with dreams of playing ball beyond High School is to play hard nosed defense & hustle. Those 2 qualities will have you on any roster and many times guarantee you a starting role. Take the road least traveled, everyone wants to score, no one wants to DEFEND.
The latter wins Championships (Not talking about District Champ) in Bumblebee land those don't count. So to wrap this up I will say to our Beaumont Ballers, Defend the perimeter & Defend the paint and you may have a chance to play in March. That is what you are playing for right???  If your Goal is to finally Win the outright District Championship you have already LOST

Mighty Bumblebees

[quote name="Bigcam2903" post="1423117" timestamp="1376083993"]
I believe both programs will reach their potential through the growing pains. Experience is the best teacher.
Although I still believe too many of the kids spend way too much time on the summer circrcuit & not enough time working on their weaknesses. The 3 point shot is the worst shot in basketball, but if you venture out to your pee wee league games 7-10 yr olds jack 'em up like layups. The laws of basketball says even your greatest hall of famers will only shoot 50% from the field (that was back in the day) and even less from 3 pt area.  In today's basketball the 2pt & 3 pt are separated to give an illusion these guys can shoot.  My advice to any kid with dreams of playing ball beyond High School is to play hard nosed defense & hustle. Those 2 qualities will have you on any roster and many times guarantee you a starting role. Take the road least traveled, everyone wants to score, no one wants to DEFEND.
The latter wins Championships (Not talking about District Champ) in Bumblebee land those don't count. So to wrap this up I will say to our Beaumont Ballers, Defend the perimeter & Defend the paint and you may have a chance to play in March. That is what you are playing for right???  If your Goal is to finally Win the outright District Championship you have already LOST

Mighty Bumblebees
[/quote]Amen! Now if the kids can just buy into it

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1423119" timestamp="1376084840"]
[quote author=Bigcam2903 link=topic=113177.msg1423117#msg1423117 date=1376083993]

Mighty Bumblebees
[/quote]Amen! Now if the kids can just buy into it
[/quote]

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1422935" timestamp="1376057508"]
[/quote]If Toe-Toe stays, I predict that Central will run the table in district. If not, it's anybody's crown to win.

Don't want it give ALL of the credit to Coach English, BUT he did the same thing in Vidor that he has done here in Nederland. Vidor never had a winning record before E arrived, and I don't believe they've had one since he left. Nederland's Bball program use to last 4-5 months. Now it's a 12 month program. The kids are motivated by him to practice/play year round. I don't think the kids are THAT much different/better/more talented than they use to be. They just believe they can win through his guidance, motivation, coaching, and leadership. Another strong class of kids (Sophomore group) will hopefully continue that competitiveness. They have the ability, but I'm not sure if they have the focus or drive, YET! It's too early to tell.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that I really understand your focus and drive comment.  The core of that group has played together almost year round for at least the past three to four years.  To call them gym rats would be an understatement.  Most of them don't even play other sports.  Plus this is the same group that routinely played and beat quality JV teams last season as freshmen.  Question their experience on varsity all you want, but I think it's misplaced to question their focus and drive.  And no, I do not have a kid in the program - I just don't understand your analysis.

And I would give all of the credit for the current state of the program to Coach English.  The kids can take credit for their individual play, but Brian English is that program.  Ned basketball was an afterthought before he arrived.  He has cultivated and grown the talent base.  If / when he leaves it will likely wither to next to nothing again, just like Vidor did.

[quote name="Law Dog" post="1423199" timestamp="1376112990"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=113177.msg1422935#msg1422935 date=1376057508]

[/quote]

I'm not sure that I really understand your focus and drive comment.  The core of that group has played together almost year round for at least the past three to four years.  To call them gym rats would be an understatement.  Most of them don't even play other sports.  Plus this is the same group that routinely played and beat quality JV teams last season as freshmen.  Question their experience on varsity all you want, but I think it's misplaced to question their focus and drive.  And no, I do not have a kid in the program - I just don't understand your analysis.

And I would give all of the credit for the current state of the program to Coach English.  The kids can take credit for their individual play, but Brian English is that program.  Ned basketball was an afterthought before he arrived.  He has cultivated and grown the talent base.  If / when he leaves it will likely wither to next to nothing again, just like Vidor did.
[/quote]I'm aware of their accolades from last season. I'm aware that they have worked hard (up to this point). I've watched plenty of kids who were good ball players during their Freshman/Soph seasons, but they fizzled out.

My point being, they must continue to stay focus and work hard throughout their time in HS. They have received a lot of praise in the community AND on this message board (I'm one of the praisers). In order for them to reach their maximum potential, they must stay hungry. They must continue working hard. Some kids have that drive, determination, and focus, but  others don't. A lot can happen in the next 3 years. We will only find out when their HS days are behind them. Hope that is more clear. 8)

It's comical to hear people talk about those days when Ozen and Central had Nederland beat as soon as they walked in the gym.. Does it bother people that much that Nederland competes for district?

It's all about getting kids started early! Back in the day, all Nederland kids grew up wanting to play was football.. Brian has got kids interested in basketball, and with the year-round work those young men put in, it all shows once it's time for high school..

No doubt about it, Nederland is here to stay for a good number of years! And this year wont be much different from last.. Nederland brings back the top district player from last year as well as other ball players. They will be right up there for a district championship again

On paper it SHOULD be Central in a walk...I just don't know though, because that program is just so unpredictable...I think Ozen will be in the hunt as well...(MAN, that sounds so funny..."in the hunt") Jordan Hunter is a class all by himself in 20-4A...He and Wilridge, who has confirmed that he is staying at Central....Honestly, knowing Coach English, he will have Nederland ready for a run at the district as well.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1423524" timestamp="1376318928"]
On paper it SHOULD be Central in a walk...I just don't know though, because that program is just so unpredictable...I think Ozen will be in the hunt as well...(MAN, that sounds so funny..."in the hunt") Jordan Hunter is a class all by himself in 20-4A...He and Wilridge, who has confirmed that he is staying at Central....Honestly, knowing Coach English, he will have Nederland ready for a run at the district as well.
[/quote]
Dick vitale is in the building! Missed ya buddy.

Central is the team to beat, those yung pups got a shot on the big stage & they are hungry, but my Panthers have the best Guards in the area. So I can't just give the Jags the title, they will have to take it.  As for Nederland, must keep an eye on those guys. Great program in Mid County.

Taking Claim to what's "OURS"

Go PANTHERS!!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder