20-4A Thoughts

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1424455" timestamp="1376577268"]
[quote author=Bigcam2903 link=topic=113177.msg1424361#msg1424361 date=1376535189]
Abe if you would have throughly read the post, that wasn't a JAB a Nederland by no means, but since you want to stick your Chest out.... I said there is no way they should be within 15pts with the caliber of players @ Central & Ozen.
Again, not a knock on Coach English at all. He truly is Amazing, but let's not kid ourselves Abe. Trying to keep the gloves on Buddy.

Mighty Bumblebees!!!!
[/quote]Haha. If you knew me, you would know that I AM a fighter! I didn't see your post as knocking Coach E. I saw it as you don't think that kids in Nederland should be within 15 points of Bmt schools bc they are less talented or gifted. I did not see any supporting evidence in your post (or any from previous posts) which allude to your assessment. You have made many posts stating that the district crown is back in Bmt where it should be, etc.

Nobody acknowledged Dogs1218 question the other day with any substance. The basketball talent in Nederland is no better than it was 10, 15, 20 years ago. The reason Bmt schools use to beat Nederland by 20, 30, 40 points easily is bc the kids didn't care enough to reach their potential. Kids in Bmt played bball year round while kids in Nederland only played for 4 months of the year. During the offseason, MANY kids never picked up a basketball more than once a month. That has now changed bc the bball kids in Nederland now play year round. JMHO
[/quote] Well, I think your guys should play some baseball in the summer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1424412" timestamp="1376572116"]
Somebody brought up the Ozen/Nederland game to me just this week. I remembered the lost but had forgotten Ozen was killing Nederland in their man to man.
[/quote]You referring to the game in Nederland, right? If I remember correctly, Nederland started that game playing a 1-2-2 Zone. Ozen shot them out of it, so Nederland went man. Ned kids did what they were suppose to do in a man D, but Jordan hit a deep three in that 2nd Q and I believe it was Sams who banked a 3 off the glass at the 1/2 time buzzer. Ned played man during the 2nd half, and the game was even.
During the next meeting at Ozen, Ned played man D, and Nederland won that game. So I am still struggling to understand why BigCam states that Ned kids should not be able to play Bmt schools man man? It has nothing to do with coaching abilities, I believe it proves that the kids have the ability to play that style of D. In previous years, MAYBE they weren't taught properly how to play man, but again I think the kid have always had the ability, but didn't put in the work to maximize their potentials. (Sorry for the run on sentence).

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1424424" timestamp="1376574281"]
On THAT note, the truth is that high school kids CANNOT GUARD man to man for the most part.  Smart high school coaches KNOW this and will often change up defenses in order to keep opponents guessing...I do not REALLY like zone defenses, but I TEACH them because I would never want my guys to see zones and become like "deer in headlights"...The key is to play a variety of zones, and emphasize the importance of staying aggressive while playing them and not get relaxed. If Nederland played man for 32 minutes they would not win a game...But at the same time with all of Central and Ozen's athleticism, if they played man for the entire game, they would struggle greatly as well...Pressing by some schools (i.e. Silsbee and Yates) can disguise the fact  that kids don't really guard, but if teams stay in presses too long, most of the time they will eventually get adjusted to them and they will no longer be effective or AS effective...Just my two cents.. 8)
[/quote]I hate to agree with you ;D but your right. If Ned plays Bmt schools zone for 32, not likely to win. Of course you never know what will happen in any scenario, but a coach has to 'play the odds' to give his team the best chance at winning, right? I think a change in defense will throw off the opponent every time. If a Defense is played too long, the opponent gets comfortable with it and knows where it is weakest. That's why football teams so not simply play a basic 3-4 or 4-3 all game. They mix it up on nearly every play. Ok, enough of football, back to bball.
A lot of people don't realize that Yates plays a zone defense. Their press IS a full court zone. Not sure of they have a half court defense. ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1424469" timestamp="1376578287"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=113177.msg1424455#msg1424455 date=1376577268]
[quote author=Bigcam2903 link=topic=113177.msg1424361#msg1424361 date=1376535189]
Abe if you would have throughly read the post, that wasn't a JAB a Nederland by no means, but since you want to stick your Chest out.... I said there is no way they should be within 15pts with the caliber of players @ Central & Ozen.
Again, not a knock on Coach English at all. He truly is Amazing, but let's not kid ourselves Abe. Trying to keep the gloves on Buddy.

Mighty Bumblebees!!!!
[/quote]Haha. If you knew me, you would know that I AM a fighter! I didn't see your post as knocking Coach E. I saw it as you don't think that kids in Nederland should be within 15 points of Bmt schools bc they are less talented or gifted. I did not see any supporting evidence in your post (or any from previous posts) which allude to your assessment. You have made many posts stating that the district crown is back in Bmt where it should be, etc.

Nobody acknowledged Dogs1218 question the other day with any substance. The basketball talent in Nederland is no better than it was 10, 15, 20 years ago. The reason Bmt schools use to beat Nederland by 20, 30, 40 points easily is bc the kids didn't care enough to reach their potential. Kids in Bmt played bball year round while kids in Nederland only played for 4 months of the year. During the offseason, MANY kids never picked up a basketball more than once a month. That has now changed bc the bball kids in Nederland now play year round. JMHO
[/quote] Well, I think your guys should play some baseball in the summer
[/quote]BORING!!

I think there have been some good points made here! I also think the area has taken a turn in terms of talent . It comes and goes in cycles ! As far as man defense you can maybe play it a lil different in h s than you can in college and therefore be effective . Ozen and central will both be stout along w p a memorial. It should be a lot of fun for the kids and fans!!

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1424472" timestamp="1376578483"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424412#msg1424412 date=1376572116]
Somebody brought up the Ozen/Nederland game to me just this week. I remembered the lost but had forgotten Ozen was killing Nederland in their man to man.
[/quote]You referring to the game in Nederland, right? If I remember correctly, Nederland started that game playing a 1-2-2 Zone. Ozen shot them out of it, so Nederland went man. Ned kids did what they were suppose to do in a man D, but Jordan hit a deep three in that 2nd Q and I believe it was Sams who banked a 3 off the glass at the 1/2 time buzzer. Ned played man during the 2nd half, and the game was even.
During the next meeting at Ozen, Ned played man D, and Nederland won that game. So I am still struggling to understand why BigCam states that Ned kids should not be able to play Bmt schools man man? It has nothing to do with coaching abilities, I believe it proves that the kids have the ability to play that style of D. In previous years, MAYBE they weren't taught properly how to play man, but again I think the kid have always had the ability, but didn't put in the work to maximize their potentials. (Sorry for the run on sentence).
[/quote] I watch too many games and get them all confused. Yall did beat Ozen @ Ozen. I was thinking we won that one. But you're correct. Ozen beat yall @ Nederland. Interesting but yall did beat Ozen in man to man

Abe, I'm just a basketball junky living in a football world trash talking to help with my habit. Boards have been a little like touch football; I needed to hit somebody Lol. You did a little hitting of your own. I like your approach, don't back down & get your point across. If Nederland weren't any good, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So please don't take it the wrong way, just running my mouth as many of us do from time to time. Good luck on the Season & I hope y'all lose every game ::)

Mighty Bumblebees

[quote name="Bigcam2903" post="1424549" timestamp="1376593514"]
Abe, I'm just a basketball junky living in a football world trash talking to help with my habit. Boards have been a little like touch football; I needed to hit somebody Lol. You did a little hitting of your own. I like your approach, don't back down & get your point across. If Nederland weren't any good, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So please don't take it the wrong way, just running my mouth as many of us do from time to time. Good luck on the Season & I hope y'all lose every game ::)

Mighty Bumblebees
[/quote]Abe is 4'5" [color=red]Big[/color] Cam. No need to backdown. Keep the pressure on....

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1424578" timestamp="1376599930"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=113177.msg1424566#msg1424566 date=1376597755]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424558#msg1424558 date=1376594219]
Will be a fading memory
[/quote]

Just as the projection for a state title in 2012-13 for the HF Longhorns
[/quote]OMG!! Its him again!!!!!
[/quote] And who knew Jack Yates would spoil all of that :-[

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1424579" timestamp="1376599998"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424578#msg1424578 date=1376599930]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=113177.msg1424566#msg1424566 date=1376597755]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424558#msg1424558 date=1376594219]
Will be a fading memory
[/quote]

[/quote]

It would have been spoiled quite a bit before Jack Yates could have come into the picture

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1424586" timestamp="1376601592"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424579#msg1424579 date=1376599998]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424578#msg1424578 date=1376599930]
Will be a fading memory
[/quote]

[/quote]

It would have been spoiled quite a bit before Jack Yates could have come into the picture
[/quote]Yeah , kinda like that beating last season at the HJ scrimmage  ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1424554" timestamp="1376594080"]
[quote author=Bigcam2903 link=topic=113177.msg1424549#msg1424549 date=1376593514]

Mighty Bumblebees
[/quote]Abe is 4'5" [color=red]Big[/color] Cam. No need to backdown. Keep the pressure on....
[/quote]I'm AT LEAST 4'6" and you know it!!

[quote name="Bigcam2903" post="1424549" timestamp="1376593514"]

Mighty Bumblebees
[/quote]All good BigCam. I hope Lincoln loses all their games this year too. ;D
Bball board alway this slow during this time of the year.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1424609" timestamp="1376607725"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=113177.msg1424554#msg1424554 date=1376594080]
[quote author=Bigcam2903 link=topic=113177.msg1424549#msg1424549 date=1376593514]

Mighty Bumblebees
[/quote]I'm AT LEAST 4'6" and you know it!!
[/quote]Sorry! :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder