UIL Restricts Full Contact Practices During Season

Heck, I get a longer beating on here every week than that.  ::) ::)

Heck we had a coach put us out on i-10 coming home from Anahuac and made us run to the school from there because we laughed at him hitting the DQ with the bus.  Ran over the top of the old Trinity River bridge and all the way to BH.  Parents back then said, well should not have laughed.  Now they sue if Johnny is not getting what he wants.

most teams have been scaled back this far all ready... that is why you don't hear a bunch of flack from the AD/HCs... even with block heavy offenses such as Vidor's have been doing this for a while... the blocking physical is very important but its more important to know your blocking scheme per play and thats where the "Soft Block" comes in to play and its easier to correct imperfections in the technique of the blocker... you can see in this statement from La Marque Head Coach...

"If you're a smart coach, you're basically adhering to all this anyway to keep your kids healthy," La Marque coach Mike Jackson said. "If you're trying to play a 16-game season plus two weeks of scrimmages plus another another week, you look at the calendar and that's a long time to keep your kids healthy.

"If you're banging everyday, you wouldn't make it through a season."

Lets take the week of a football teams schedule...

[b]Saturday[/b]  Film day/Trainer day
[b]Monday[/b]    correcting Last weeks mistakes/ full contact
[b]Tuesday[/b] working on Offensive skills positions.. .
[b]Wednesday[/b] Working on Defensive Skills Positions...
[b]Thursdays[/b]  Going over that weeks game plan
[b]Friday[/b] Game Day
Rinse, Repeat

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1412635" timestamp="1370981449"]
This is like telling baseball players, hey I'm going to pitch this ball to you but whatever you do, don't swing all the way through!! lol
[/quote] Bad Example, there aren't too many ways to compare baseball with football, other than they both are played in the Fall  :-\....... Spring  :-\ Summer  :-\ 

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1412638" timestamp="1370982140"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=112500.msg1412635#msg1412635 date=1370981449]
This is like telling baseball players, hey I'm going to pitch this ball to you but whatever you do, don't swing all the way through!! lol
[/quote] Bad Example, there aren't too many ways to compare baseball with football, other than they both are played in the Fall  :-\....... Spring  :-\ Summer  :-\
[/quote]

Sorry, but just because you feel it's a bad example, does not mean it is.  ;)

[quote name="PirateGirl4ever" post="1412643" timestamp="1370983962"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=112500.msg1412638#msg1412638 date=1370982140]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=112500.msg1412635#msg1412635 date=1370981449]
[/quote]

Bad example...

[/quote]

Overreaction....by the fans...most schools did this ANYWAY, well atleast the teams who planned on having long seasons...nothing will change noticably. It's not limiting practice to 90 mins or practice in pads to 90 minutes...it's Tackling drills, full game simulation scrimmages..etc. How many SMART coaches you know were having their kids go at each other full speed leading up to game day anyway? Relax folks...this was already going on....now it's just a rule so that the coaches with too much pride and dont know when to say when wont go overboard.....nothing will change.

[quote name="Batman" post="1412667" timestamp="1370998824"]
[quote author=PirateGirl4ever link=topic=112500.msg1412643#msg1412643 date=1370983962]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=112500.msg1412638#msg1412638 date=1370982140]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1412814" timestamp="1371059564"]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=112500.msg1412808#msg1412808 date=1371059009]
[b]I'll lay odds that this will increase the number of injuries on Friday nights[/b].

[b]Tackling is a lost art[/b]. The teams that coach it up, win.
[/quote] Yep!
[/quote]

all though I agree  on your above statements.. most teams have been scaled back to this for awhile now... me i believe you have to have full contact for the body to learn how to protect itself on a 2nd nature status.... just like breathing... your body has to learn how to take a hit... which muscles to tighten... which ones to loosen... and it will get use to repairing itself over a weeks time.... if you don't think that is a true statement ... ( as much as I hate to say it being a Cowboys fan ) look at the Steelers and Ravens.... they hit more then anytime in the league during the season... and they are the least hurt.... or at least they were in the Cowher days... now that they have slacked off they have more and more on the injury report....

but back on subject most teams are all ready in this mode....

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1412820" timestamp="1371060360"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=112500.msg1412814#msg1412814 date=1371059564]
[b]I'll lay odds that this will increase the number of injuries on Friday nights[/b].

[/quote] Yep!
[/quote]

all though I agree  on your above statements.. most teams have been scaled back to this for awhile now... me i believe you have to have full contact for the body to learn how to protect itself on a 2nd nature status.... just like breathing... your body has to learn how to take a hit... which muscles to tighten... which ones to loosen... and it will get use to repairing itself over a weeks time.... if you don't think that is a true statement ... ( as much as I hate to say it being a Cowboys fan ) look at the Steelers and Ravens.... they hit more then anytime in the league during the season... and they are the least hurt.... or at least they were in the Cowher days... now that they have slacked off they have more and more on the injury report....

[/quote]
Exactly...most if not all schools have already been in this mode for years. Fans overreacting...nothing will change. There is a reason you saw no backlash from Coaches

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1412820" timestamp="1371060360"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=112500.msg1412814#msg1412814 date=1371059564]

[/quote] Yep!
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's a lose/lose situation.  If you don't hit a lot and have physical practices, then it translates to poor tackling and blocking on friday night.  If you do hit a lot and go full speed most of the week, then the ones you have left are really sound fundamentally.  But depending on who you lose during the week, it can be devastating to that team's season.  If you don't have the numbers in your program, then it affects you the most.  You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1412837" timestamp="1371063770"]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=112500.msg1412820#msg1412820 date=1371060360]

[/quote] Yep!
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's a lose/lose situation.  If you don't hit a lot and have physical practices, then it translates to poor tackling and blocking on friday night.  If you do hit a lot and go full speed most of the week, then the ones you have left are really sound fundamentally.  But depending on who you lose during the week, it can be devastating to that team's season.  If you don't have the numbers in your program, then it affects you the most.  You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
[/quote]
How much time a week during the season do you think coaches spend on "Tackling" drills? How many teams you know have multiple, full speed, game simulation scrimmages during the week during the season?

[quote name="pe2009" post="1412840" timestamp="1371064197"]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=112500.msg1412837#msg1412837 date=1371063770]
[quote author=Coach Comeaux link=topic=112500.msg1412820#msg1412820 date=1371060360]

[/quote] Yep!
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
How much time a week during the season do you think coaches spend on "Tackling" drills? How many teams you know have multiple, full speed, game simulation scrimmages during the week during the season?
[/quote]

I'm well aware of the fact that this ruling means nothing to most programs because most programs don't do much hitting already.  I thought this discussion had now moved to what impact 'less contact' during the week has had on friday night injuries and poor blocking and tackling.  We've probably all researched CTE and seen it in the news, so we should not be surprised at how practices, and games, have changed.  Being a former football player and having kids who play football, I will accept poor tackling for a healthy brain when they are finished playing. 

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1412877" timestamp="1371070876"]
The act of tackling does not cause head/neck injuries. The act of poor or improper tackling causes head/neck injuries.

They can limit the contact all they want, but that in and of itself will not solve the problem.
[/quote]

GCMPats,
Do you think hitting is being limited because they want to reduce injuries or because they are trying to address the number of new CTE cases that are discovered each year?  Let me give you a quick physics lesson.  If one object (a brain) is traveling at about 20 mph and the body that it is traveling in suddenly stops on impact, the brain keeps going and sloshes against the front of the skull.  And it doesn't matter if you use perfect form or horrible form, you cannot alter that fact.  So, the only way you can have a positive impact on the number of CTE cases in the future is to try and reduce the # of times the brain gets sloshed around.  Plain and simple.  We can talk about how to maintain good technique without full speed drills all you want, but you can't argue that reducing the amount of hitting during practice will help with CTE.

everyone one keeps referring to hitting and tackling with good technique. how about learning to take a hit or a mass tackle. when I played, we used to have 30 minutes a day of kill the man with the ball. learn to defend yourself. uil is following suit with the pro's in trying to prevent head injuries. as noble as a cause as it may be, they are going to happen. it is a contact sport. where I can see limiting hitting in practice sounds like a good idea, it only decreases game time intensity and preparedness.  jmo...........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder